Would a HD 7970 be able to run alongside a FX 6200 without bottlenecking?

JFo

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Basically, my friend is looking to upgrade his graphics card, which is currently a HD7770, to an ASUS 7970 Matrix Platinum (http://goo.gl/Fj1JQp). His CPU is currently an AMD FX 6200, and since me informing him about bottle-necking, he is worried that should he do this graphics upgrade, he might end up with a bottleneck due to his CPU being to low end compared to the GPU. Is this the case?

Also, all be it slightly off topic, he wanted to know what the quietest closed loop water cooler is?

Any reply would be of great help to him, and of interest to me. Thanks.

(This is a re-post from the CPU's section as no-one answered :p)

cuecuemore

Distinguished
It depends on the game. In most cases it's a pretty good match, but there are some games that are pretty poorly optimized and need more processing power on single core (or, in a few cases that are well-optimized but still tax a quad core, etc.). So what games are you looking at, specifically?

JFo

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

He is looking to play heavily modded Skyrim, BF4, CSGO and The Witcher 3.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
For CSGO, it doesn't matter either way. For Skyrim, it depends whether you want image quality or framerate. If you want a solid 60 fps and will adjust IQ accordingly, then Intel is the route to go. But if you're going to crank IQ as high as possible, the AMD can push the frames. For BF4, and especially The Witcher 3 we don't really know.