Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Jumper Settings on IDE Hardisk and IDE CD Rom

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 22, 2013 10:32:06 AM

Please tell me an easy way about how to set the jumpers on my IDE Cd rom and IDE HDD. I am really confused, Please help me out here.
Thanks in advance

More about : jumper settings ide hardisk ide rom

Best solution

a c 102 G Storage
September 22, 2013 11:14:09 AM

You can also just put the jumper to "CS" (Cable Select) if both drives have that option then Master and Slave depend on physically which connector they are attached to when on same cable. This information is also easily Googled.

(FYI, "IDE" as used now is a little incorrect. It means "Integrated Drive Electronics" as in when the electronics AND drive platters become one unit. Modern SATA drives are also "IDE" but most people use "IDE vs SATA" instead of "PATA vs SATA" which is confusing.)
Share
a c 940 G Storage
September 22, 2013 1:04:29 PM

Ideally you want them on separate IDE cables if you can. Each devices label will show which jumper setting to use for operation in Single mode (no other drive attached to the same cable). Always use the end connector on the cable for single drives.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 102 G Storage
September 22, 2013 4:04:11 PM

popatim said:
Ideally you want them on separate IDE cables if you can. Each devices label will show which jumper setting to use for operation in Single mode (no other drive attached to the same cable). Always use the end connector on the cable for single drives.


Depends what you mean by ideal.
I see no reason to use two ribbon cables which are messy and can block air flow if one will do the job.
m
0
l
a c 940 G Storage
September 22, 2013 5:51:18 PM

ideally to me means best performance. Having both on the same cable causes anything reading from the optical and writing to the hdd to wait for the bus to clear. ie - read cd, write hdd, read cd, write hdd... effectively cutting your performance in half (of the slowest device on the one cable*)

whereas having them on separate cables allows both operations to occur simultaneously.

* having two devices on one ide cable forces the controller to the interface speed of the slowest device on the cable to maintain compatibility between both devices. foe example, stick a PIO only optical drive on with a ultra dma drive and both will drop to pio mode because the optical can't "speak" dma.

another issue with having both on the same cable is even if both drives are dma if the optical experiences some read errors the interface will drop to pio mode, thereby slowing your harddrive down at the same time. It does not automatically raise it back up to dma mode. Have the optical drive on the second channel, the drop to pio wouldn't effect the HDD. I'm sure this is ringing a bell with alot of our older users.
m
0
l
a c 102 G Storage
September 22, 2013 7:01:53 PM

popatim said:
ideally to me means best performance. Having both on the same cable causes anything reading from the optical and writing to the hdd to wait for the bus to clear. ie - read cd, write hdd, read cd, write hdd... effectively cutting your performance in half (of the slowest device on the one cable*)

whereas having them on separate cables allows both operations to occur simultaneously.

* having two devices on one ide cable forces the controller to the interface speed of the slowest device on the cable to maintain compatibility between both devices. foe example, stick a PIO only optical drive on with a ultra dma drive and both will drop to pio mode because the optical can't "speak" dma.

another issue with having both on the same cable is even if both drives are dma if the optical experiences some read errors the interface will drop to pio mode, thereby slowing your harddrive down at the same time. It does not automatically raise it back up to dma mode. Have the optical drive on the second channel, the drop to pio wouldn't effect the HDD. I'm sure this is ringing a bell with alot of our older users.


It's been so long, and it also depends on the motherboard but more on HOW it's used. Specifically:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

quote:
"For example, when copying data from an optical drive to a hard drive (such as during software installation), this effect probably doesn't matter: Such jobs are necessarily limited by the speed of the optical drive no matter where it is. But if the hard drive in question is also expected to provide good throughput for other tasks at the same time, it probably should not be on the same cable as the optical drive."

So I doubt he's likely to really care about a 2nd cable if the only place it really matters is copying from CD-Drive to HDD while ALSO having the HDD accessed by another program.
m
0
l
a c 940 G Storage
September 23, 2013 4:06:58 PM

At this point we don't even know if two cables is an option for the OP
LoL - I'll keep my "I warned you..." under wraps should they come back complaining their hdd has slowed way down.
m
0
l
a c 102 G Storage
September 23, 2013 6:18:35 PM

popatim said:
At this point we don't even know if two cables is an option for the OP
LoL - I'll keep my "I warned you..." under wraps should they come back complaining their hdd has slowed way down.


I suspect it's an old computer running XP if it has both an HDD and a CD-drive that are PATA/IDE only.

It probably has no SATA and two main PATA connectors plus floppy.

*What's amazing is that you could buy a quality $300 Asus laptop that would run far better than any old PC.

**If the OP is still there, then CLOSE THIS THREAD if you have no further questions.
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 8:06:29 AM

Well I have a problem hardrive gave in so i want to boot windows on my old hardrive so I have windows dvd in my dvd but dvd and hhd is ide and its a new motherboard so only has ond ide slot so I can only one cable I just want to useIit temporarily to install windows on hdd
m
0
l
!