Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this a balanced CPU & GPU combination?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 22, 2013 12:54:30 PM

I am choosing parts for my first PC. It will be used for gaming, and on a budget.
I would like opinions on my selected CPU & GPU combination in particular, or on any part of the build.
Do you think this is a balanced pair or is there a bottleneck?
Recommendations for other parts in the general price range or slightly higher will be appreciated and considered.
I would like the entire build to cost under $700.
Thank you!

Prevailing build:

CPU:
AMD 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 $184.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard:
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU:
Thermaltake TR2 430W $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD:
Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:
RAIDMAX Tornado Steel ATX Mid Tower $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner $19.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2013 12:56:42 PM

Don't use an APU with an discrete graphics card.

You can get a FX 4300 or an i3. I recommend the former.
m
0
l
September 22, 2013 1:05:59 PM

Anonymous said:
Don't use an APU with an discrete graphics card.

You can get a FX 4300 or an i3. I recommend the former.


Thank you for your quick response. Using an APU was a concern that did cross my mind. The other concern I had was using a dual core vs a quad core. Do you think using a quad core would not be necessary considering the price range my GPU falls into? Would that result in the GPU being the bottleneck and not allowing the CPU to reach its full potential?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 22, 2013 4:02:45 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I suggest getting at least getting an quad core if going with AMD. The 750k would be perfect for you. You can get it for $80 shipped on Amazon.

You won't be getting that much performance out of that dual-core that you mention, and eventually hate making the purchase. Save up if you don't have enough.
Share
September 22, 2013 4:42:28 PM

m32 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I suggest getting at least getting an quad core if going with AMD. The 750k would be perfect for you. You can get it for $80 shipped on Amazon.

You won't be getting that much performance out of that dual-core that you mention, and eventually hate making the purchase. Save up if you don't have enough.


I really like the processor you suggested, incredible bang for buck.
Does anyone have comments on the GPU? I am open to suggestions. Base your GPU suggestions around m32's CPU suggestion.

Updated build:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2013 12:14:15 AM

AMD is going to be announcing their new series of cards in the couple of days. That could really drive down the prices of the current cards. Some 7870s and 7950s are real steals in the price range for the performance they put up. How much is your budget for the card?
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 3:45:48 PM

m32 said:
AMD is going to be announcing their new series of cards in the couple of days. That could really drive down the prices of the current cards. Some 7870s and 7950s are real steals in the price range for the performance they put up. How much is your budget for the card?


As for my graphics card price range, let's just say under $200.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2013 9:11:06 PM

You can get an 7950 for that price (AMIR or if you shop right). I suggest getting an 7870 at least while knowing the price your willing to spend. They are better with power and run cooler. What MB are you planning to run with this rig? Your going to have to overclock that CPU to get more performance out of the graphics card.
m
0
l
September 24, 2013 11:44:09 AM

m32 said:
You can get an 7950 for that price (AMIR or if you shop right). I suggest getting an 7870 at least while knowing the price your willing to spend. They are better with power and run cooler. What MB are you planning to run with this rig? Your going to have to overclock that CPU to get more performance out of the graphics card.


Sorry, but what do you mean by "AMIR"? And when you say MB were you referring to RAM? I chose 4GB of ram.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2013 11:59:42 AM

Out of the choices you presented, the 750K is MUCH better.

Is this a full system build? And what is your total budget?

I recently snatched a Gigabyte Windforce HD7950 at the local NCIX warehouse sale for only $169. It's still a beast of a card, even by today's standards. It's a great time to buy AMD GPU's because they're about to announce the next gen. If you can get a 7950 for under $200, that's about the best card you could possibly get for the money. It trades blows with the GTX 670/760's, just to give you an idea of the performance. They're also very overclock-able which pushes them close to a base clocked 7970. :D 

You may find that 4gigs of ram might not be enough for certain games. If you can, try to get an 8gig dual channel kit (2 x 4gig sticks).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2013 12:48:54 PM

logainofhades said:
Go with the 760k. About $5 more and a slightly better chip than the 750k since it is a Richland cpu vs the 750k's trinity. Worth the extra cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


+1

Oh yeah! Forgot about the 760k! Definitely worth going for that over the 750k. :) 
m
0
l
September 24, 2013 4:00:39 PM

MEC-777 said:
Out of the choices you presented, the 750K is MUCH better.

Is this a full system build? And what is your total budget?

I recently snatched a Gigabyte Windforce HD7950 at the local NCIX warehouse sale for only $169. It's still a beast of a card, even by today's standards. It's a great time to buy AMD GPU's because they're about to announce the next gen. If you can get a 7950 for under $200, that's about the best card you could possibly get for the money. It trades blows with the GTX 670/760's, just to give you an idea of the performance. They're also very overclock-able which pushes them close to a base clocked 7970. :D 

You may find that 4gigs of ram might not be enough for certain games. If you can, try to get an 8gig dual channel kit (2 x 4gig sticks).


I have updated my post to include all parts of the build and my budget (>$700). Check it out.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2013 9:15:08 PM

You could get the OS for cheaper.... ;) 


You probably can get an 1TB HD for around the same price. Also, your not going to overclocking too much on that board.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2013 7:04:50 AM

For a $700 budget, you can do better than a 760k.

Assuming US dollars... Here is my recommendation:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($175.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Tornado (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($56.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $690.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 09:59 EDT-0400)

The FX-6300 is significantly faster for the same cost. That motherboard supports crossfire, so you can add a second GPU down the road and that PSU will be enough to support that as well.

I included a 7870 GHZ edition GPU, but I strongly recommend spending an extra ~$25 or so for a 7950. Worth every penny.

All just under your budget of $700. :) 
m
0
l
!