7850 vs gtx 580

There is no fanatic about it. Just check the reviews. 580 might be from much older generation than 7k series but new does not equal 'must be better'.

Mahisse

Distinguished
580 is better but waayy more expensive so it depends on the prices of the two cards.. If those two card are your only choices and money/price is no issue go with the 580. But take a minute to look at other cards available at the same price range.

does 580 still expensive even now? i know some people looking for stong GPGPU stuff might still consider to get Fermi over gaming oriented Kepler (GK104 and below) but i don't think the price could be inflated because of that reason alone

Mahisse

Distinguished

From what I could find the GTX 580 is still really overpriced (like 50% more than a 7850).. The only prices for a new 580 I could find was on Danish sites though but they are rarely far from any other regular countries represented at TH.

Prithwi2050

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Absolutely, that's why I said 7850 is a better card. It's more power efficient. It's gona save electricity billing amount at end of the year and also it's available at a lower price. You always have to take a holistic view of the things before judging them..

Yes the 580 is a far viable card but at a cost this is why I mention the 760 if he or she is a nvidia fan but the 7950 is far better in total costs compared to the 7850 and value but in the same token the 7850 had drop alot in cost as well at this time but still not the best value but when compared to the 580 its the best deal overall.

Your answer is correct if you base it on value for price and efficiency. It does not change the fact that a GTX580 outperforms the HD7850 by 20-25%