Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Advise for a gaming desktop

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Desktops
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 23, 2013 4:51:39 AM

Hey there,

I currently have I7 940 CPU. and looking forward to upgrade it to a new one. therefore, i need some advice for what CPU i should go for. I7-4770k or I5-4670k. i noticed the most difference is in the cache memory. will it affect the gaming performance that much??

also, for what motherboard i should go for?

my machine is for pure gaming such as:
-World of Warcraft.
-FF xvi ARR
-Call of duty
-Starcraft 2.

with my current CPU i am having FPS drops unexpectedly. although, my GPU is AMD 7970 3GB DDR5.

my budget is around 800-900 USD.

thanks,

More about : advise gaming desktop

September 23, 2013 4:59:09 AM

Get the 4670K and a decent Z87 motherboard.

The 4770K isn't really worth the extra cash in a gaming scenario.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2013 5:28:03 AM

Taha Alhindi said:
Hey there,

I currently have I7 940 CPU. and looking forward to upgrade it to a new one. therefore, i need some advice for what CPU i should go for. I7-4770k or I5-4670k. i noticed the most difference is in the cache memory. will it affect the gaming performance that much??

also, for what motherboard i should go for?

my machine is for pure gaming such as:
-World of Warcraft.
-FF xvi ARR
-Call of duty
-Starcraft 2.

with my current CPU i am having FPS drops unexpectedly. although, my GPU is AMD 7970 3GB DDR5.

my budget is around 800-900 USD.

thanks,


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GJ1T

Perfect build for that price.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 23, 2013 5:34:39 AM

Dayle McNeela said:
Taha Alhindi said:
Hey there,

I currently have I7 940 CPU. and looking forward to upgrade it to a new one. therefore, i need some advice for what CPU i should go for. I7-4770k or I5-4670k. i noticed the most difference is in the cache memory. will it affect the gaming performance that much??

also, for what motherboard i should go for?

my machine is for pure gaming such as:
-World of Warcraft.
-FF xvi ARR
-Call of duty
-Starcraft 2.

with my current CPU i am having FPS drops unexpectedly. although, my GPU is AMD 7970 3GB DDR5.

my budget is around 800-900 USD.

thanks,


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GJ1T

Perfect build for that price.


You could save money by getting a cheaper CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo), smaller SSD (like a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO) and lower wattage PSU (Corsair GS700).

With the money saved by doing this you could afford a better graphics card, such as a HD 7870 (or wait a few days for AMD to reveal their new GPUs).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2013 5:40:57 AM

Epis said:
Dayle McNeela said:
Taha Alhindi said:
Hey there,

I currently have I7 940 CPU. and looking forward to upgrade it to a new one. therefore, i need some advice for what CPU i should go for. I7-4770k or I5-4670k. i noticed the most difference is in the cache memory. will it affect the gaming performance that much??

also, for what motherboard i should go for?

my machine is for pure gaming such as:
-World of Warcraft.
-FF xvi ARR
-Call of duty
-Starcraft 2.

with my current CPU i am having FPS drops unexpectedly. although, my GPU is AMD 7970 3GB DDR5.

my budget is around 800-900 USD.

thanks,


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GJ1T

Perfect build for that price.


You could save money by getting a cheaper CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo), smaller SSD (like a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO) and lower wattage PSU (Corsair GS700).

With the money saved by doing this you could afford a better graphics card, such as a HD 7870 (or wait a few days for AMD to reveal their new GPUs).


Liquid cooling is better than Hyper 212 EVO... he will need atleast 250gb SSD for all his games and OS... but I agree with less wattage, but atleast with the 800w you have the option for SLI/Crossfire in the future :) 
m
0
l
September 23, 2013 5:42:56 AM

Dayle McNeela said:
Epis said:
Dayle McNeela said:
Taha Alhindi said:
Hey there,

I currently have I7 940 CPU. and looking forward to upgrade it to a new one. therefore, i need some advice for what CPU i should go for. I7-4770k or I5-4670k. i noticed the most difference is in the cache memory. will it affect the gaming performance that much??

also, for what motherboard i should go for?

my machine is for pure gaming such as:
-World of Warcraft.
-FF xvi ARR
-Call of duty
-Starcraft 2.

with my current CPU i am having FPS drops unexpectedly. although, my GPU is AMD 7970 3GB DDR5.

my budget is around 800-900 USD.

thanks,


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GJ1T

Perfect build for that price.


You could save money by getting a cheaper CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo), smaller SSD (like a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO) and lower wattage PSU (Corsair GS700).

With the money saved by doing this you could afford a better graphics card, such as a HD 7870 (or wait a few days for AMD to reveal their new GPUs).


Liquid cooling is better than Hyper 212 EVO... he will need atleast 250gb SSD for all his games and OS... but I agree with less wattage, but atleast with the 800w you have the option for SLI/Crossfire in the future :) 


Agreed.
m
0
l
September 24, 2013 12:29:44 PM

Epis said:
Dayle McNeela said:
Epis said:
Dayle McNeela said:
Taha Alhindi said:
Hey there,

I currently have I7 940 CPU. and looking forward to upgrade it to a new one. therefore, i need some advice for what CPU i should go for. I7-4770k or I5-4670k. i noticed the most difference is in the cache memory. will it affect the gaming performance that much??

also, for what motherboard i should go for?

my machine is for pure gaming such as:
-World of Warcraft.
-FF xvi ARR
-Call of duty
-Starcraft 2.

with my current CPU i am having FPS drops unexpectedly. although, my GPU is AMD 7970 3GB DDR5.

my budget is around 800-900 USD.

thanks,


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GJ1T

Perfect build for that price.


You could save money by getting a cheaper CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo), smaller SSD (like a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO) and lower wattage PSU (Corsair GS700).

With the money saved by doing this you could afford a better graphics card, such as a HD 7870 (or wait a few days for AMD to reveal their new GPUs).


Liquid cooling is better than Hyper 212 EVO... he will need atleast 250gb SSD for all his games and OS... but I agree with less wattage, but atleast with the 800w you have the option for SLI/Crossfire in the future :) 


Agreed.


well, so you are saying that the FPS drops are due to CPU temperature ?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2013 12:46:47 PM

Taha Alhindi said:
Epis said:
Dayle McNeela said:
Epis said:
Dayle McNeela said:
Taha Alhindi said:
Hey there,

I currently have I7 940 CPU. and looking forward to upgrade it to a new one. therefore, i need some advice for what CPU i should go for. I7-4770k or I5-4670k. i noticed the most difference is in the cache memory. will it affect the gaming performance that much??

also, for what motherboard i should go for?

my machine is for pure gaming such as:
-World of Warcraft.
-FF xvi ARR
-Call of duty
-Starcraft 2.

with my current CPU i am having FPS drops unexpectedly. although, my GPU is AMD 7970 3GB DDR5.

my budget is around 800-900 USD.

thanks,


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GJ1T

Perfect build for that price.


You could save money by getting a cheaper CPU cooler (Hyper 212 Evo), smaller SSD (like a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO) and lower wattage PSU (Corsair GS700).

With the money saved by doing this you could afford a better graphics card, such as a HD 7870 (or wait a few days for AMD to reveal their new GPUs).


Liquid cooling is better than Hyper 212 EVO... he will need atleast 250gb SSD for all his games and OS... but I agree with less wattage, but atleast with the 800w you have the option for SLI/Crossfire in the future :) 


Agreed.


well, so you are saying that the FPS drops are due to CPU temperature ?


Maybe, CPUs are build with a new technology cause Heat Throttle or something like that, once a CPU hits a certain temperature, it underclocks itself and slows down to protect itself, this will cause your FPS to go lower...

I would recommend buyer a better cooler like the H80i or H100i :) 

If I have answered your question, please click 'Pick as the Solution'
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 815 à CPUs
a c 117 V Motherboard
September 24, 2013 12:53:49 PM

You still have a very capable CPU, I say save your money, buy a better cooler only and overclock what you have.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2013 1:01:56 PM

logainofhades said:
You still have a very capable CPU, I say save your money, buy a better cooler only and overclock what you have.


I agree with this somewhat, but you cannot overclock the i7 940... (well you can but only slightly)
You need an unlocked processor like the i7-4770K or the i7-4670K...
The only real difference between the i7 and the i5 is hyperthreading...
Gaming doesn't really utilize hyperthreading so I stand by my recommendation.

Get the i5-4670K and get the H80i or H100i :) 

If I have answered your question, please select 'Pick as the Solution'
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 815 à CPUs
a c 117 V Motherboard
September 24, 2013 1:35:48 PM

Why can't you overclock an i7 940? It is basically the same chip as a 920 and those often hit 3.5ghz+ The blck of the the first gen i7's are as flexible as they were for core 2 on FSB. Intel didn't all but remove blck overclocking till Sandy Bridge.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2013 1:53:15 PM

logainofhades said:
Why can't you overclock an i7 940? It is basically the same chip as a 920 and those often hit 3.5ghz+ The blck of the the first gen i7's are as flexible as they were for core 2 on FSB. Intel didn't all but remove blck overclocking till Sandy Bridge.


Someone throw a brick at me!
Taha Alhindi - you can overclock this chip (but if you are hoping to get above 4GHz I wouldn't bother... only 4 people in the overclockers club managed to get 4GHz out of it...

Thanks for correcting me Logainofhades :) 
But I would always recommend a K verious processor for easier overclocking :) 

But out of the I7 and the i5 in question, get the i5-4670K
or take 'Logainofhades' solution, keep your CPU, overclock it and buy a better GPU :) 
Possibly a GTX660, 670, 760 (superclocked) or 780 :) 

I highly recommend the GTX760 SC... I have it and it is absolutely BEAST!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 815 à CPUs
a c 117 V Motherboard
September 24, 2013 1:55:33 PM

He has a 7970, so GPU wise they are sitting pretty good. Overclocking that 940 will make a nice difference with a better cooler. If it doesn't do as much as they like, then they can make the jump to ivy or haswell. I would try the h80i/h100 cooler option first.
Share
!