Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming with more than 1080p Resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 23, 2013 1:23:25 PM

Hi

I've got a decent PC with an i5 660ti and 8gb of ram and was wondering what upgrades I would need to play games like battlefield 3/4 at above 1080p, I know I'd need a new monitor. Any recommendations? I'd probably also need a new GPU, I was thinking a 7970 GHz Edition, or is this too little or too much?



Thanks in advance guys
September 23, 2013 1:38:19 PM

gpopp said:
Hi

I've got a decent PC with an i5 660ti and 8gb of ram and was wondering what upgrades I would need to play games like battlefield 3/4 at above 1080p, I know I'd need a new monitor. Any recommendations? I'd probably also need a new GPU, I was thinking a 7970 GHz Edition, or is this too little or too much?



Thanks in advance guys


It really depends what do you wan to run bf4 on like ultra ? because my 7950 can max out bf3 at 50 to 80 fps and 130 on low which still looks good
Sorry posting on two thread wrong one
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 76 C Monitor
September 23, 2013 1:39:25 PM

Your GTX660ti is a very competent card.
I suggest you buy the monitor and try it out and see what you do.
2560 x 1440 will have more pixels to manage and from that point of view, you need more graphics power.
On the other hand, the added resolution may reduce your need for AA.
Here is an older set of BF3 benchmarks.
The GTX570 is somewhat equivalent to your GTX660ti, and the GTX590 is about the same as a GTX780(and perhaps a 7970GHZ) for estimation purposes.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...
Share
Related resources
a b C Monitor
September 23, 2013 2:09:29 PM

If you are going for 2560x1440 then your 660ti will run the games fine but not at nowhere near max settings.

I am currently gaming on 2560x1440 monitor with a GTX 670 and cannot turn everything on ultra despite a killer machine (i5-3570K@4.5GHz, 16GB RAM etc..) I think the cheapest option for you would be to get another 660ti and use them both in SLI if your motherboard/PSU permit.

In terms of monitors I suggset you look at the cheap korean 2560x1440 displays you can find on eBay. I got a Crossover Q27 for around 400$ sure beats the 800-1000$ you would pay for a similar display from Dell or whatever.

Good luck
m
0
l
September 24, 2013 7:18:32 AM

Pete_the_Puma said:
If you are going for 2560x1440 then your 660ti will run the games fine but not at nowhere near max settings.

I am currently gaming on 2560x1440 monitor with a GTX 670 and cannot turn everything on ultra despite a killer machine (i5-3570K@4.5GHz, 16GB RAM etc..) I think the cheapest option for you would be to get another 660ti and use them both in SLI if your motherboard/PSU permit.

In terms of monitors I suggset you look at the cheap korean 2560x1440 displays you can find on eBay. I got a Crossover Q27 for around 400$ sure beats the 800-1000$ you would pay for a similar display from Dell or whatever.

Good luck


Yeah ive been looking at the Korean Monitors, any issues with yours? I mean dead pixels etc? Also did you get taxed loads for the monitor and through customs? Because i'm in the UK and i've heard you can get taxed to get the monitor through customs

My Mobo doesnt support SLI so i think ill end up selling my 660ti to a friend or something.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
September 24, 2013 1:36:23 PM

I love that monitor! My friend who saw it immediately went and bought the same one hahah. He calls it the "orgasmatron". The only downside is that now anything but 2560x1440 looks terrible to me. If there are any dead pixels I can not see them. I had it shipped to the USA and was not taxed by customs.

If your Mobo does not allow for SLI i would first upgrade the screen, see how the 660ti does and then upgrade to something like a GTX 770 which should run most games at 2560x1440 with some details turned down.

Hope this help!
m
0
l
September 24, 2013 1:42:18 PM

Pete_the_Puma said:
I love that monitor! My friend who saw it immediately went and bought the same one hahah. He calls it the "orgasmatron". The only downside is that now anything but 2560x1440 looks terrible to me. If there are any dead pixels I can not see them. I had it shipped to the USA and was not taxed by customs.

If your Mobo does not allow for SLI i would first upgrade the screen, see how the 660ti does and then upgrade to something like a GTX 770 which should run most games at 2560x1440 with some details turned down.

Hope this help!


You've won me over! I want my own 'orgasmatron' ! Having done some more research, the US doesn't get taxed because of a special agreement thingy. But I will have to pay 20% tax, which will be able £50 but that's not a problem considering how cheap the monitor is and what a great deal these Korean monitors seem to be! Out of curiosity what brand/model did you get, because I've been looking at a qnix one


Thanks
m
0
l
September 24, 2013 1:47:03 PM

Also I'd rather go with a 7970 because they are cheaper, simple as that
m
0
l
!