i7 920 Sidegrade

LumRod

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Currently i'm using a non overclocked i7 920 for, mostly, gamings, playng 1080i videos and some Adobe LIghtroom/Photshop.

For the most part i am happy with my system, but i feel the non-gaming part could benefit from the new features on modern chipsets, like native USB3 and SATA III.

So, i've been entertaining the idea of moving to a more modern platform, knowing the gaming part wont benefit a lot from it.

So my plan would be to choose something like one of the new Intel Haswell i3, or maybe a AMD FX 6300, so i can move into a more modern motherboard, while minimizing the investment in CPU, while waiting for Broadwell or Steamroller. I would only like to make sure i don't actually downgrade the CPU performance. Any thoughts?

(Im running 2.6 Ghz i7 920, Asus P6t Deluxe 2, 500 GB SSD, Nvidia 660 ti, and also a 1TB 5400 and an external USB3 3T disk, connected to a PCie USB3 controller)

jnjnilson6

Distinguished

You don't even need to think of upgrading your CPU in the next 3 years. It's more than enough for maxing out every game out there at 1920x1080 as well as the extremely demanding Crysis 3, if coupled with a better graphics card, but Crysis 3 is an exception, so I'd as well add that your GTX 660 Ti is also going to be perfect for most games, till this time in 2016.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished

As you can see, many gamers are still dreaming about cards such as the Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti which came out almost 3 years ago. I'm giving the 560 Ti at least 1 more year on the top (playing most of the latest games on high settings at 720p resolutions with decent frame rates), meaning that your 660 Ti is going to have a minimum of a 3 year life from now on, so there's nothing to worry about and the CPU is very, very powerful. It provides such processing power which no game up to this point fully initializes.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished

Wow, dude, isn't it strange how we both wrote in the same 3 threads already?

logainofhades

Titan

Lol, yea.