Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Purchasing a high-end gaming laptop

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
September 24, 2013 8:18:48 AM


I'm looking at purchasing a $3000 gaming laptop for extreme portable gaming (can go even higher if the specs are right). The laptop should be having dual 780m SLI's as I will be using it for heavy video editing and graphics animation besides gaming. I already do have a desktop with a gtx 780 sli in my home but it simply isn't portable to be brought over to my workplace, which is exactly why I'm looking at a laptop for portability. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 24, 2013 8:47:29 AM

Alienware has an SLI 770M for $3200.

It's $550 to upgrade to SLI 780 so that's $3750.

You can build one via SAGER for $3049, though the CPU isn't as good and for that price, there's less RAM (8GB though but you do video editing).

I think Alienware is your best bet for either dual 770M's or 780M's.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
September 24, 2013 8:54:03 AM

Best bet for sli would be the new AW 18.but i would not call it really portable.i ordered one and it arrive just 2 days ago an it is heavy.its heavy.even my new AW 17 is a pain to carry in my backpack.cant imagine the 18 in my backpack.still your best bet,the new AW 18.but if you want portability get the 14 with single 780m.its lighter and easy to carry around.
Share
Related resources
September 24, 2013 9:07:31 AM

Yeah, that's what I have been hearing. The AW 18 is about the only laptop to offer the 780m SLI and everyone acknowledges that it is the most powerful laptop around at the moment. But at a weight of over 6kg, it will be a problem for me to carry around since it is going to weigh like a ton of bri cks. But I guess that would be a small price to pay for owning the most powerful laptop in the market.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2013 9:14:43 AM

challenger15 said:
Yeah, that's what I have been hearing. The AW 18 is about the only laptop to offer the 780m SLI and everyone acknowledges that it is the most powerful laptop around at the moment. But at a weight of over 6kg, it will be a problem for me to carry around since it is going to weigh like a ton of bri cks. But I guess that would be a small price to pay for owning the most powerful laptop in the market.


Yes it will be very heavy.mine comes with 1 additional hdd(1mssd,2hdd)+ dual 780m and the weight is killing me.imagine if i decide to add another ssd/hdd.still as u said,a small price to pay for its insane performance.another choice would be the msi extreme edition.but in terms of quality AW has it all from better cooling,heatsink,body,screen etc.so go for the AW 18.u wouldnt regret it.(rise with us:p )
m
0
l
September 24, 2013 9:32:00 AM

kookie3010 said:
challenger15 said:
Yeah, that's what I have been hearing. The AW 18 is about the only laptop to offer the 780m SLI and everyone acknowledges that it is the most powerful laptop around at the moment. But at a weight of over 6kg, it will be a problem for me to carry around since it is going to weigh like a ton of bri cks. But I guess that would be a small price to pay for owning the most powerful laptop in the market.


Yes it will be very heavy.mine comes with 1 additional hdd(1mssd,2hdd)+ dual 780m and the weight is killing me.imagine if i decide to add another ssd/hdd.still as u said,a small price to pay for its insane performance.another choice would be the msi extreme edition.but in terms of quality AW has it all from better cooling,heatsink,body,screen etc.so go for the AW 18.u wouldnt regret it.(rise with us:p )


Very well then, I guess that would be my safest bet. Where did you purchase it from though? Should I order it directly from Dell or should I go through an external site like Amazon or Newegg?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2013 3:21:40 PM

challenger15 said:
kookie3010 said:
challenger15 said:
Yeah, that's what I have been hearing. The AW 18 is about the only laptop to offer the 780m SLI and everyone acknowledges that it is the most powerful laptop around at the moment. But at a weight of over 6kg, it will be a problem for me to carry around since it is going to weigh like a ton of bri cks. But I guess that would be a small price to pay for owning the most powerful laptop in the market.


Yes it will be very heavy.mine comes with 1 additional hdd(1mssd,2hdd)+ dual 780m and the weight is killing me.imagine if i decide to add another ssd/hdd.still as u said,a small price to pay for its insane performance.another choice would be the msi extreme edition.but in terms of quality AW has it all from better cooling,heatsink,body,screen etc.so go for the AW 18.u wouldnt regret it.(rise with us:p )


Very well then, I guess that would be my safest bet. Where did you purchase it from though? Should I order it directly from Dell or should I go through an external site like Amazon or Newegg?


I actually ordered it through a local computer shop.best bet would be to.ordered direct from dell
m
0
l
September 25, 2013 5:19:54 AM

The Alienware 18 has mediocre fan profiles and CPU power throttling at the moment. I expect Dell to release a BIOS to fix those issues, but I don't know when that will happen. It still out-performs every other laptop including the competing Clevo P375SM, but I would wait for a resolution before buying it.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 25, 2013 5:28:23 AM

Indefatigable said:
The Alienware 18 has mediocre fan profiles and CPU power throttling at the moment. I expect Dell to release a BIOS to fix those issues, but I don't know when that will happen. It still out-performs every other laptop including the competing Clevo P375SM, but I would wait for a resolution before buying it.


Yes.that is the only prob i face at this moment.my Aw 17 already received a bios update from dell.still waiting for new bios for my 18.

m
0
l
September 25, 2013 6:37:25 AM

In the words of PC Mag:
The Alienware 18 gaming laptop is an unapologetic show of opulence and riches. It has the power to play AAA gaming titles at full 1080p HD resolution with all the eye candy and quality settings turned up. It will even interface with a pair of external monitors and give you surround multi-monitor gaming out of the box. If you're a gamer of means, then the Alienware 18 is the gaming system you can use to show off, whether you're in the country club, upscale artisanal coffee shop, or over at your buddy's mansion. It's our new Editors' Choice for high-end gaming laptops.

I am pretty sure the 18.4 inch screen is going to be one hell of a display to be gaming on, so that has decided my choice. Will be ordering in the near future, possibly even tomorrow, and thanks for the bios alert.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 25, 2013 6:49:14 AM

challenger15 said:
In the words of PC Mag:
The Alienware 18 gaming laptop is an unapologetic show of opulence and riches. It has the power to play AAA gaming titles at full 1080p HD resolution with all the eye candy and quality settings turned up. It will even interface with a pair of external monitors and give you surround multi-monitor gaming out of the box. If you're a gamer of means, then the Alienware 18 is the gaming system you can use to show off, whether you're in the country club, upscale artisanal coffee shop, or over at your buddy's mansion. It's our new Editors' Choice for high-end gaming laptops.

I am pretty sure the 18.4 inch screen is going to be one hell of a display to be gaming on, so that has decided my choice. Will be ordering in the near future, possibly even tomorrow, and thanks for the bios alert.


No problem.it is not really a big deal of a problem.enjoy your AW 18.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2013 9:12:57 AM

Mostly the size and weight. I prefer the more discrete style and build of MSI vs. Alienware and I think you can get a little bit more machine for your money as well as you tend to overpay a bit with Alienware because of the branding. I am guessing the M18x will have a bit better cooling however as there is much more room to dissipate the heat in the larger chassis.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2013 2:57:25 AM

Still for built quality and cooling i would go for aw.msi is a very good laptop.my friend(Msi fanboy) bought the msi just to compare with my Aw.in term of perfomance it should be on par with the aw 18.but i noticed the temp on the msi seems higher than the aw when gaming.i believe this is due to the single fan and the fan is quiet noisy as well.i experienced this as well on my old msi dragon edition(sold to get an aw:p ).so for built quality,cooling,ventilation i would go for aw.i have to admit the msi is a tad lighter than aw which makes it more portable.
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 8:50:42 AM

Tibbs01 said:
Mostly the size and weight. I prefer the more discrete style and build of MSI vs. Alienware and I think you can get a little bit more machine for your money as well as you tend to overpay a bit with Alienware because of the branding. I am guessing the M18x will have a bit better cooling however as there is much more room to dissipate the heat in the larger chassis.


kookie3010 said:
Still for built quality and cooling i would go for aw.msi is a very good laptop.my friend(Msi fanboy) bought the msi just to compare with my Aw.in term of perfomance it should be on par with the aw 18.but i noticed the temp on the msi seems higher than the aw when gaming.i believe this is due to the single fan and the fan is quiet noisy as well.i experienced this as well on my old msi dragon edition(sold to get an aw:p ).so for built quality,cooling,ventilation i would go for aw.i have to admit the msi is a tad lighter than aw which makes it more portable.


Yeah, the alienware does have a large chassis, and has lots of vents to dissipate heat quickly and efficiently. That may very well be its selling point, and that really convinced me to get it. I will be placing my order real soon for the alienware 18, and hopefully I will enjoy it for what it is.
m
0
l
!