7970 Twin Frozr LOW fps

footbrake4life

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hey guys, I just got a 7970 Twin Frozr yesterday and I installed all of the newest drivers from AMD's website and I am only getting around 50-70 fps on minecraft (for lack of a more gpu challenging game) and with my old gtx 650 I was getting 150-160 fps. I have uninstalled all nvidia drivers/ programs. And I figured that the low fps is just because the game is not very challenging for the card but I just want to make sure.

Thank you,
Grant

Solution
Hi there!

First of all, Minecraft does not challenge the GPU at all unless you are using any HD texture packs, or other graphical enhancing mods. Minecraft primarily uses the CPU for terrain generation and rendering.

As far as why you were getting a higher FPS with your 650, I'm not entirely sure, but sometimes the oldder GPU's can be better at direct computing, whihc would mean that the GPU would basically be acting i part as a CPU. Maybe this is the reason, I dont know.

But to be honest, no matter what GPU you have, your 8120 should be more than adequate for well over 200FPS, so maybe it is another issue? Have you underclocked your CPU or locked any cores by any chance? Long shot I know. How much RAM does your system have? What...

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi there!

First of all, Minecraft does not challenge the GPU at all unless you are using any HD texture packs, or other graphical enhancing mods. Minecraft primarily uses the CPU for terrain generation and rendering.

As far as why you were getting a higher FPS with your 650, I'm not entirely sure, but sometimes the oldder GPU's can be better at direct computing, whihc would mean that the GPU would basically be acting i part as a CPU. Maybe this is the reason, I dont know.

But to be honest, no matter what GPU you have, your 8120 should be more than adequate for well over 200FPS, so maybe it is another issue? Have you underclocked your CPU or locked any cores by any chance? Long shot I know. How much RAM does your system have? What speed is it running at?

Another thoery could just be that there are some Nvidia Files still left over, even though you uninstalled them. I would suggest manually checking just to make sure, and also running a registry check and defrag. If need be, manually edit the registry if there are files left over.

Have you perhaps got a virus on your PC that could be causing it to run slow?

Solution

footbrake4life

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah thats why I said for lack of a more GPU demanding game lol. My 8120 is overclocked slightly to 3.6 GHz, as far as I know none of the cores are locked, I have 16 GB of ram at stock speed. Also I uninstalled all the nvidia files manually. I will run CCleaner on my registry when I get home and double check my programs. I also have windows security essentials so I know I do not have a virus. Just to add, I have a 650W PSU and when I bought my build for my buddy a while back he said he had a 7950 twin frozr and it ran fine.