Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unjustified CPU 100% Usage

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 25, 2013 10:18:11 AM

Essentially, this is the problem:

I have a tower PC, and I recently moved to another house so I had it send to me as a package. It has worked smoothly until the day of my departure, but after assembling it in my new house, it stopped working well. The CPU reaches 100% usage peaks for no reason, for example using programs or games that I have always used without problem. Sometimes, after these peaks, the pc shuts down, and I have to start it several times, for it to start correctly withouth shutting down on its own again. Can someone help me? I have seen tons of posts like this but none has really helped
September 25, 2013 10:21:22 AM

Can you give us the computer specs please.
Power Supply Brand and Model , GPU etc.

But from the initial sound of what your saying sounds like the power supply maybe on the brinks.
m
0
l
September 25, 2013 10:35:18 AM

WesleyBishop said:
Can you give us the computer specs please.
Power Supply Brand and Model , GPU etc.

But from the initial sound of what your saying sounds like the power supply maybe on the brinks.


at this moment I can't get those information about the power supply components, but I can tell you that it is rather new and in a good state. also it just does not make any sense that it should stop working all of a sudden
m
0
l
Related resources
September 25, 2013 12:20:57 PM

RenzR_ said:
WesleyBishop said:
Can you give us the computer specs please.
Power Supply Brand and Model , GPU etc.

But from the initial sound of what your saying sounds like the power supply maybe on the brinks.


at this moment I can't get those information about the power supply components, but I can tell you that it is rather new and in a good state. also it just does not make any sense that it should stop working all of a sudden

I would also remove the side panel and make sure the fan is working on the cpu.
m
0
l
September 25, 2013 2:33:57 PM

WesleyBishop said:
RenzR_ said:
WesleyBishop said:
Can you give us the computer specs please.
Power Supply Brand and Model , GPU etc.

But from the initial sound of what your saying sounds like the power supply maybe on the brinks.


at this moment I can't get those information about the power supply components, but I can tell you that it is rather new and in a good state. also it just does not make any sense that it should stop working all of a sudden

I would also remove the side panel and make sure the fan is working on the cpu.


I already checked, it is
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 6:57:46 AM

RenzR_ said:
WesleyBishop said:
RenzR_ said:
WesleyBishop said:
Can you give us the computer specs please.
Power Supply Brand and Model , GPU etc.

But from the initial sound of what your saying sounds like the power supply maybe on the brinks.


at this moment I can't get those information about the power supply components, but I can tell you that it is rather new and in a good state. also it just does not make any sense that it should stop working all of a sudden

I would also remove the side panel and make sure the fan is working on the cpu.


I already checked, it is


Well from reading your original post and what you have told me so far. The only conclusion I can come to is that the power supply is failing. If you get the chance to give me more information about the power supply I can make a recommendation for a replacement.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2013 7:07:50 AM

Either the PC was damaged during the move (CPU heatsink could be loose, for instance), or the wiring is the house is sub-standard.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 7:22:01 AM

gamerk316 said:
Either the PC was damaged during the move (CPU heatsink could be loose, for instance), or the wiring is the house is sub-standard.

I would think he would not be able to even get to start a game without it shutting down if it was the CPU fan. If the fan was broke it would shutdown almost immediately you maybe able to get to the log in but not much father. But he did say he already checked the CPU fan.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 9:32:25 AM

Guys, I think I may have sorted it out.

Speccy, detect the CPU temperature to be 96 degrees CELSIUS, WHILE RUNNING CHROME, SPECCY, AND THE TASK MANAGER. I HAVE AN i5 PROCESSOR. I believe that the temperature measurer to be broken, and to signal my cpu to be constantly overheated. because of this, the cpu slows itself down in order to protect itself, and that i believe to be the reason of my issues. am I wrong?
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 9:36:19 AM

RenzR_ said:
Guys, I think I may have sorted it out.

Speccy, detect the CPU temperature to be 96 degrees CELSIUS, WHILE RUNNING CHROME, SPECCY, AND THE TASK MANAGER. I HAVE AN i5 PROCESSOR. I believe that the temperature measurer to be broken, and to signal my cpu to be constantly overheated. because of this, the cpu slows itself down in order to protect itself, and that i believe to be the reason of my issues. am I wrong?


Sounds probable.
m
0
l
a c 738 à CPUs
September 26, 2013 9:38:40 AM

Or you need to reseat the heatsink. I would not take any chances. I would clean it and reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink to be on the safe side.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 10:05:57 AM

logainofhades said:
Or you need to reseat the heatsink. I would not take any chances. I would clean it and reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink to be on the safe side.


also, the heatsink and fan were out of position, more likely due to some vibration during the transoprt. now i have reseated it all, and the temperature stays now around 60 degrees. unfortunately I don't have any thermal paste to apply, but I hopee i can still play in this condition
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 10:09:15 AM

RenzR_ said:
logainofhades said:
Or you need to reseat the heatsink. I would not take any chances. I would clean it and reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink to be on the safe side.


also, the heatsink and fan were out of position, more likely due to some vibration during the transoprt. now i have reseated it all, and the temperature stays now around 60 degrees. unfortunately I don't have any thermal paste to apply, but I hopee i can still play in this condition


Congratulations! You fixed it! :) 
m
0
l
!