Solved

Multiple connections to network but slow internet connection

I'm trying to connect to my work network. (I'm the IT at work - so please don't tell me to go and talk to him.) I have a windows 7 machine and when I connect wirelessly, i obtain 3 connections. The server is the DNS 192.168.1.10, and an appliance is the gateway 192.168.1.1. The server is the DHCP server. The network icon shows the computer is connected, but the internet access is very slow. It will access a search page, but not the individual links from it. When I assign a static IP, the internet connection is fine. Any suggestions what's causing it.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about multiple connections network slow internet connection
  1. When you put in a manual IP, are you using the same settings for DNS and the gateway? Slow internet tends to come from issues with those, but it's strange that a static IP will make things faster unless there is some other setting that is different. Do an ipconfig /all command on both DHCP and static and see if there are any differences.
  2. Your server acts as DHCP - does it correctly assigns the gateway to .1 (the actual applicance), and not to .10 (himself)? Same applies for DNS.

    Also - when "not working", can you ping an external IP address by number, not by name (Skype works even without DNS, somehow).
  3. hang-the-9 said:
    When you put in a manual IP, are you using the same settings for DNS and the gateway? Slow internet tends to come from issues with those, but it's strange that a static IP will make things faster unless there is some other setting that is different. Do an ipconfig /all command on both DHCP and static and see if there are any differences.


    No, the DNS is the server 192.168.1.10 and the gateway is the appliance next to the router 192.168.1.1
  4. Alabalcho said:
    Your server acts as DHCP - does it correctly assigns the gateway to .1 (the actual applicance), and not to .10 (himself)? Same applies for DNS.

    Also - when "not working", can you ping an external IP address by number, not by name (Skype works even without DNS, somehow).


    Not sure of the first answer, how would I figure it out? The second is yes, I can ping both the server and the gateway.
  5. When you can connect to the Internet - open command windows (Start | Run | cmd.exe), execute "ipconfig /all", repeat the same in other configuration, and post the results here
  6. Set the DNS server manually as a public one, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 is from google.

    Set the Gateway to the 192.168.1.1 as you before, and see if things are faster. I'm thinking your DNS server is not working properly. Has this ever worked?
  7. Alabalcho said:
    When you can connect to the Internet - open command windows (Start | Run | cmd.exe), execute "ipconfig /all", repeat the same in other configuration, and post the results here


    With the IP address static
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Acer11-04
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-F8-DA-17-F3-91
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7923:9ff6:e230:7751%14(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.8(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 197195994
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-44-E9-A8-B8-70-F4-75-D1-58
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

    Tunnel adapter isatap.{93E65219-7846-41A4-BEA5-1DECFF5D3930}:

    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3cda:39c:3f57:fef7(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3cda:39c:3f57:fef7%11(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

    Without Static IP
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Acer11-04
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-F8-DA-17-F3-91
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7923:9ff6:e230:7751%14(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.233(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : October-03-13 11:11:25 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : October-06-13 11:11:25 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    192.168.1.3
    192.168.1.5
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 197195994
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-44-E9-A8-B8-70-F4-75-D1-58
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

    Tunnel adapter isatap.{93E65219-7846-41A4-BEA5-1DECFF5D3930}:

    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:cbd:1d90:3f57:fe16(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cbd:1d90:3f57:fe16%11(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

    When I look at this 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.5 are wireless routers on the same network.
  8. Do you use IPv6 for anything? If not, turn that off. I know IPv6 can cause issues with connecting to sites, but that was a while ago when I looked at it, may be fixed now, but maybe not.
  9. I see something strange in your DHCP configuration: There are three gateways (.1, .3 and .5), while in your static config there's just one (.1). Which one is the real one?
  10. Alabalcho said:
    I see something strange in your DHCP configuration: There are three gateways (.1, .3 and .5), while in your static config there's just one (.1). Which one is the real one?


    I saw the same thing. The real one is .1 I reset the configuration on these wireless routers to be router, not gateway, yesterday, but they still show. I'm wondering if the server has them listed in the network table. I will check this when I get to work this morning.
  11. Best answer
    So, another test - in both configurations, execute "tracert -d 8.8.8.8" This will show where the packets actually go (and will show whether this is routing problem, or DNS problem". 8.8.8.8 is one of DNS servers operated by Google, and "-d" suppresses reverse DNS resolution during tracing.
  12. Alabalcho said:
    So, another test - in both configurations, execute "tracert -d 8.8.8.8" This will show where the packets actually go (and will show whether this is routing problem, or DNS problem". 8.8.8.8 is one of DNS servers operated by Google, and "-d" suppresses reverse DNS resolution during tracing.


    I deleted the two wireless routers off the router list on the server (DNS). This cleared up the problem. thanks for your help
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Wireless Network Internet Connection Servers