[i3 530] Do I need a new heatsink/cooler to overclock? What else?

drtgj

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Basicly, I'm looking to overclock my i3 530 to at least 3.5Ghz, as many guides suggest is easily achieved.
Details:
i3 530 Processor
Stock cooler
Stock heatsink
MSI H55M-E33 Motherboard.

What kind of an investment would I need to be able to overclock it to 3.5Ghz or above?

Right now my temperature rises to above 70 degrees Celcius during a default OCCT stress test, but I assume this is due to my old thermal paste, which I will replace ASAP.

I tried reading guides and such, but I failed to find an explanation of how to estimate what kind of a Cooler/Heatsink I neeed to overclock a processor. Could anybody at least give a rough estimate, or an example?
Thanks.

Solution
Do not try to overclock without buying a new aftermarket cooler!
At least get something like the CM Hyper 212 EVO suggested above (cheap and quite efficient).

If you try to overclock without appropriate cooling, your temperatures will rise to high and you might damage your CPU..

ImPain

Distinguished
Do not try to overclock without buying a new aftermarket cooler!
At least get something like the CM Hyper 212 EVO suggested above (cheap and quite efficient).

If you try to overclock without appropriate cooling, your temperatures will rise to high and you might damage your CPU..

Solution