Mouse acting strange

Last night, my mouse was perfectly normal. This morning this got weird.

I noticed while I was a playing a game of Counter-Strike. It is impossible for me to flick the mouse, both in game and just within Windows.The mouse seems to 'max out' in speed and won't go any faster. The best way I can explain it is like this:

I have no mouse acceleration or smoothing, so typically when I move the mouse 1 inch, lets say it moves on the screen 2 inches. It doesn't matter how fast or slowly I do it, it is the same. However, now if I move the mouse slowly 1 inch, it will move 2 inches, and if I do it quickly it goes half the distance. Any ideas? I haven't touched any mouse settings (until I noticed this, but everything seems to be normal).
14 answers Last reply
More about mouse acting strange
  1. clean the optical sensor with a q-tip and alcohol.
  2. If that does not work, you can always open the mouse and hit with a can of air. Not as common as years ago, but sometimes dust gets inside the mouse and can interfere with the sensors.
  3. Well it's tough to clean because the sensor is in a small hole underneath. I'll give it a shot. Also, I can't see an obvious way of opening it...

    Edit: Opened it up and gave a good clean. Still no luck..
  4. what surface do you have the mouse on?
  5. A nice foam mousepad. Same one I've been using for years.
  6. I would try a different surface next. I've had mice develop negative tracking issues on older cloth topped pads. I use a rocketfish (best buy's house brand) dual side plastic surface now.
  7. Did you happen to update drivers for the mouse or the software that you use with the mouse?

    I assume that you have already checked all the connections and made sure that there are no bare spots on the cable, sharp edges of a desk can start to rub at the cord and wear through it over time.
  8. quilciri said:
    I would try a different surface next. I've had mice develop negative tracking issues on older cloth topped pads. I use a rocketfish (best buy's house brand) dual side plastic surface now.


    Changed surface and nothing...

    Anonymous said:
    Did you happen to update drivers for the mouse or the software that you use with the mouse?

    I assume that you have already checked all the connections and made sure that there are no bare spots on the cable, sharp edges of a desk can start to rub at the cord and wear through it over time.


    I didn't update any drivers, at least not of my own volition.

    And the cable thing was a good idea actually and I thought you might have hit the nail on the head but it looks like it's a no go.
  9. What type of mouse do you have?
  10. brightside said:
    What type of mouse do you have?


    Exactly this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826161004
  11. Okay, I know this is a common tech support solution, and sorry if you've done it already, but sometimes a simple restart will fix it. I wish I had a better answer. I'd love to know if that works though. Especially since you haven't purposely adjusted your mouse settings.
  12. brightside said:
    Okay, I know this is a common tech support solution, and sorry if you've done it already, but sometimes a simple restart will fix it. I wish I had a better answer. I'd love to know if that works though. Especially since you haven't purposely adjusted your mouse settings.


    Already tried... But I'm more than happy to give it another shot, to be honest!
  13. leonalex12 said:
    brightside said:
    What type of mouse do you have?


    Exactly this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826161004


    man, maybe it is funny but is real. if any of the recommended method does not work then the simplest solution is to buy another mouse.
  14. holy necro, batman!
Ask a new question

Read More

Peripherals Games Mice Counter Strike