HD 7950 or HD 7970?

BroccoliKing

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Alright, I tried google but I cant find any answer to this other than: " buy a new CPU". So, my question is: I have an FX 6300 and I want to upgrade my graphics card soon. Everybody says that an HD 7970 will cause some"bottleneck" which I agree with, but I dont think I fully understand (stupid question warning): does that mean if I get an HD 7970 I will have worse performance in games than with an HD 7950? Or: would I see atleast a few fps more in games (even like 3 fps more would make me happy)
more info: I will not overclock or buy a new CPU (I would if I could but my GA-970a-D3 is not as great as i thought in the beginning, he.) Also no, I will not choose any other graphics cards like the GTX 760/670 or R9 290 or whatever.
Last question: my min. FPS wouldnt change with either of those graphics cards, right?

Solution
Now it depends on your preferences.
The system should be able to play even the AAA heavies out there smoothly (with a little careful tuning) at medium/high settings, maybe even very high so if you're happy with the system performance I'll advise you keep your money for the upcoming Christmas/new year period.
Putting in a HD7950 will give games a boost and will help quite a bit with minimum frame rates while allowing you to push the settings all the way up. It will also have the muscle to handle a monitor upgrade in the future (they don't last forever after all).
More than a few will say it will be bottlenecked by the CPU, and this is true, it will, but then I'm looking at a long ownership period and feel the 7950 will still be running...
Does the system have a card already installed, if so which one?
What is the display resolution?
Bear in mind both these card need a strong power supply to feed them, which one is installed?
The FX6300 isn't that bad as a gaming CPU and the HD7950 is VERY slightly slower than the GTX760 so have a little read here, it may help:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/build-a-pc-fx-6300-overclocking,review-32785.html
For current games, at 1080 resolution, the HD7950 is a good match for your CPU.

Does the system have a card already installed, if so which one?
What is the display resolution?
Bear in mind both these card need a strong power supply to feed them, which one is installed?
The FX6300 isn't that bad as a gaming CPU and the HD7950 is VERY slightly slower than the GTX760 so have a little read here, it may help:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/build-a-pc-fx-6300-overclocking,review-32785.html
For current games, at 1080 resolution, the HD7950 is a good match for your CPU.
EDIT: How did I manage to double post?

BroccoliKing

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013

haha, I actually managed to double post this question (also an accident). Power supply is not an issue (OCZ ZT 750W), at the moment I have an HD 7850/1GB where I overclocked the core clock to 1GHz and I also overclocked the memory to 1320 MHz.
Now answering the question i hoped would never be asked... I have a 1600x900 monitor.

Now it depends on your preferences.
The system should be able to play even the AAA heavies out there smoothly (with a little careful tuning) at medium/high settings, maybe even very high so if you're happy with the system performance I'll advise you keep your money for the upcoming Christmas/new year period.
Putting in a HD7950 will give games a boost and will help quite a bit with minimum frame rates while allowing you to push the settings all the way up. It will also have the muscle to handle a monitor upgrade in the future (they don't last forever after all).
More than a few will say it will be bottlenecked by the CPU, and this is true, it will, but then I'm looking at a long ownership period and feel the 7950 will still be running smoothly in two years time when a lower card (with 2Gb of memory) will be showing its limitations.
The 7970 is not really suitable, it's too fast and too expensive.

Solution