Solved

Should I wait for AMD HD 9000 Series ?

Should I wait for the next generation AMD HD GPUs or buy a 7970 GHz
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wait amd 9000 series
  1. They are 2 weeks away at most, wait.
  2. You should wait. 7970 is one from the highest end GPU from AMD right now. When the new ones come up 3 things will happen:
    1 - new top GPUs will come out, more powerful than 7970
    2 - The 7970 will be tweaked and re-branded as a new GPU which will be either a bit more powerful (due to the tweaks) or will consume less power (again due to the tweaks) resulting in less heat and more OC headroom
    3 - the price of HD7000 will drop
  3. Best answer
    Prices are good for the 7970's right now but with the R9 280X coming out soon (rumored for $300?) it may be worth waiting to see what the new card has to offer. The R9 290X is rumored to be due sometime October and is purported to be more powerful than the Titan (the jury is not in on that one though) and is rumored to be maybe, perhaps, be released around $600
  4. if you have a rig with a lower performing chip than the 2500k, upgrade that instead since the GPU will be bottlenecked.

    the r9 290x will probably be released for 549 or 599
  5. TheBigTroll said:
    if you have a rig with a lower performing chip than the 2500k, upgrade that instead since the GPU will be bottlenecked.

    the r9 290x will probably be released for 549 or 599


    I am using a AMD Phenom II 970 BE
  6. yeah you need an upgrade. you will present yourself with a severe bottleneck
  7. TheBigTroll said:
    yeah you need an upgrade. you will present yourself with a severe bottleneck


    I'll soon be replacing it with a AMD FX-8350 , will it bottleneck then ?
  8. generally, id always get an i5 based system since it does perform better than anything from amd by a longshot but then since you already have a am3 platform, thats probably your best option.

    get a huge heatsink as well such as the havik 140 from nzxt. piledriver runs hot overclocked
  9. TheBigTroll said:
    generally, id always get an i5 based system since it does perform better than anything from amd by a longshot but then since you already have a am3 platform, thats probably your best option.

    get a huge heatsink as well such as the havik 140 from nzxt. piledriver runs hot overclocked


    I have a ECS A890GXM-A v1 , and a Corsair H100 .
  10. the h100 will do
Ask a new question

Read More

Next Generation AMD ATI Graphics GPUs HD