7990 PSU question?

ScorpioW

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hello,
Ok so im planning on buying the HD 7990.. I need to know the power supply requirements for the card and for my whole system.
Currently im using a 700W cooler master PSU, will that be enough to run the 7990?
Additional info: i7 processor, 8gb ram, 1tb harddisk, 3 fans and a dvdrom
Case:corsair 600T
The reason im asking this question is cus i found like 50 threads all mentioning different psu requirements which i dont know based on what....some people said 700W is enough.. others said 850 is minimum.. others said 750.. and are those figures card usage only? or the whole system? im just confused now...
Thanks in advance,

Solution

To be honest, you wouldn't notice anything till you really tax the system. Some hardcore gaming would do, or some benchmarking. After it starts to get to the point that the PSU can't deliver the requested power, it'll prly blue screen. There won't really be that reliable of a tell to see when it'll happen, it could be at the same spot in a game constantly, or when you 1st load a game, or at the very end of a level. New PSU's have safeguards in place to prevent for killing components, but you would get really annoyed with the blue screens for sure. lol. And you wouldn't be able to get the most out of that shiny new 7990. That...

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Well, you might be able to run it with that PSU. However, AMD says: "750W (or greater) power supply with two 150W 8-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended."

Here's AMD's page I got that from:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7990/pages/radeon-7990.aspx#3

Personally, I never like having an under delivering PSU, so I pretty much overkill on that now, just to ensure upgrade-ability down the road. But others like the bare minimum. In your situation, I'd say go with what you have and if you end up having weird issues with the system, get a new (top tier) PSU and see if that fixes it. If not, return it.

That's one of their new G series of budget power supplies. They don't send units out for review, so it's impossible to tell how good or bad they are.

Since 700W doesn't have a lot of safety margin for a 7990, I would consider upgrading the PSU.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012

To be honest, you wouldn't notice anything till you really tax the system. Some hardcore gaming would do, or some benchmarking. After it starts to get to the point that the PSU can't deliver the requested power, it'll prly blue screen. There won't really be that reliable of a tell to see when it'll happen, it could be at the same spot in a game constantly, or when you 1st load a game, or at the very end of a level. New PSU's have safeguards in place to prevent for killing components, but you would get really annoyed with the blue screens for sure. lol. And you wouldn't be able to get the most out of that shiny new 7990. That is IF the PSU isn't strong enough. You won't know till you try it out...

Solution