Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Very Low Samsung 840 PRO SSD Speeds

Tags:
  • Performance
  • 840 PRO
  • Samsung
  • Storage
  • SSD
Last response: in Storage
Share
September 26, 2013 2:10:12 PM

HI,
I purchased a 128gb 840 PRO SSD, which is advertised to have 530mb/s and 97000 iops read and 390mb/s and 90000 IOPS write speeds. I am not getting nowhere near that.

When I benchmarked my ssd with Samsung's Magician Utility (with all configured to max performance, AHCI enabled, Trim enabled, SSD optimized) these were the results:
542mb/s read (very good) | 207mb/s write (bad)
54795 IOPS read (half the stated) | 4371 IOPS write (awful)

So I went here searching for help. I added Screenshots below from CrystalDiskMark, AS-SSD & Magician:



This is my OS Drive.
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXa-Ud3
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866mhz Cas 9
Two more (250gb, 1tb & 500gb hdds)
OS: Windows 8 PRO x64
Thanks in advance. Sorry if I had made spelling/politeness errors. I'm Spanish.

More about : low samsung 840 pro ssd speeds

a b G Storage
September 26, 2013 2:56:03 PM

are you sure you have trim enabled
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
September 26, 2013 2:57:14 PM

electrode said:
HI,
I purchased a 128gb 840 PRO SSD, which is advertised to have 530mb/s and 97000 iops read and 390mb/s and 90000 IOPS write speeds. I am not getting nowhere near that.

When I benchmarked my ssd with Samsung's Magician Utility (with all configured to max performance, AHCI enabled, Trim enabled, SSD optimized) these were the results:
542mb/s read (very good) | 207mb/s write (bad)
54795 IOPS read (half the stated) | 4371 IOPS write (awful)

So I went here searching for help. I added Screenshots below from CrystalDiskMark, AS-SSD & Magician:



This is my OS Drive.
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXa-Ud3
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866mhz Cas 9
Two more (250gb, 1tb & 500gb hdds)
OS: Windows 8 PRO x64
Thanks in advance. Sorry if I had made spelling/politeness errors. I'm Spanish.


Do you have encryption or antivirus enabled? Did you set Over Provisioning? How full is your drive?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 26, 2013 11:34:50 PM

Thanks. Yes, TRIM is enabled. I haven't set any over provisioning. The drive has a total of 1.1tb written on it. It has 14gb free space. I have windows 8 preinstalled antivirus (security essentials).
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:37:08 PM

The TRIM cmd string returns DisableDeleteNotify = 0 so ues, it is enabled (but acts as it isn't)
m
0
l
September 28, 2013 1:29:39 AM

Thanks. That drivers helped me, but I'm still not getting the Random Speeds (IOPS)/Write speeds i should have...
It's strange Gigabyte's Driver & Utility DVD didn't come with the best drivers...
m
0
l
October 3, 2013 8:52:21 AM

Anyone? Please Help.
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 544 G Storage
October 3, 2013 9:20:45 AM

Turn off System Restore and retest.
m
0
l
October 6, 2013 1:13:41 AM

Thanks! I have turned it off and it improved it's random speeeds. I turned it back on and the speeds didn't change. I leaved it OFF. Are the Random Speeds because it's my OS Drive, or is it another problem?

m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
October 7, 2013 7:48:01 AM

electrode said:
Thanks! I have turned it off and it improved it's random speeeds. I turned it back on and the speeds didn't change. I leaved it OFF. Are the Random Speeds because it's my OS Drive, or is it another problem?



Sorry it took me a while to respond, i was accidentally logged into another account so i didn't get the updates from this thread.

ANYWAYS! The fuller a SSD is, the worse its performance gets, if you only have...12gbs i think you said....of space available, that could be why your getting low performance. Once you make more space available you should see some increase in performance, you're also gonna want to set over provisioning once you get free space available.
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 12:32:39 AM

Thanks! I cleaned 10gb of my drive (some crazy 10,0GB of Temporary Files ONLY! obviously from one After Effects project...). Some more things and I have now 32gb free. I couldn't post this till today, I'm sorry.
Here are the results:


So what I'm supposing here is that the IOPS are lowered by the OS. The CD which came with the mobo had bad/old drivers. My speeds didn't change with system restore unchecked because I didn't reboot. When I had, they improved a lot. Now sequential speeds are perfect. Thanks!
m
0
l
December 18, 2013 4:03:07 AM

You can actually improve that, DOUBLE IT. see the option that says rapid mode at the bottom? enable it, you will surely double the seq. red/write speeds.
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
December 18, 2013 7:39:30 AM

desmadroso1000 said:
You can actually improve that, DOUBLE IT. see the option that says rapid mode at the bottom? enable it, you will surely double the seq. red/write speeds.


He needs Magician 4.3 to do that on the PRO
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 253 G Storage
December 18, 2013 8:04:06 AM

Yes! For sure, get Magician 4.3 and enable "Rapid Mode"




Yogi
m
0
l
December 26, 2013 3:47:04 PM

Y0GI said:
Yes! For sure, get Magician 4.3 and enable "Rapid Mode"
Yogi

I've been having the same problem as OP, except I have rapid mode enabled and it only doubled my seq. r/w speed, no improvement on the IOPS side. I have 215GB free out of 237GB (Samsung 840 Pro 256gb), with 0.16TB written--a very new SSD. I followed the SSD optimization thread and everything, but for some reason the random r/w speeds just aren't going up.
My specific numbers are here
m
0
l
July 23, 2014 5:48:29 PM

just installed intel storage technology rapidy and I went up to my iops are double my samsung pro 256 gb at least that was the last thing to install and then restart my benchmarks rose twice you just got to go to the download section of your motherboard and ready
m
0
l
!