Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Over 4.0 ghz with AMD FX-8320 and ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • AMD
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • ASrock
Last response: in Overclocking
September 26, 2013 3:16:55 PM

I am planning to buy the AMD FX-8320 with the ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 motherboard and a Thermalright True Spirit 140 CPU cooler, I have been googling for a while but couldn't really find a lot about this motherboard and CPU combination. Will this overclock to 4.0 ghz without problems? What would you recommend or would I be able to OC to with these parts?
Thanks in advance :) 

More about : ghz amd 8320 asrock 970 pro3

Best solution

a c 86 à CPUs
a c 83 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2013 3:24:03 PM

The board has the ability to OC, but no one can tell you if your CPU will push to 4.0GHz or beyond, it varies on a chip by chip basis, i was just telling someone else on here, my 8320 only went to 3.8 before it starting having issues (though i admittedly didn't spend much time trying different ways to push it further). It depends if it's a chip that was made an 8320 just to fill out the product stock, or if it couldn't run cool/stable enough to make the cut to be an 8350...
Share
a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2013 3:36:20 PM

In general, the 990fx chipset overclocks better, but as Jaxem said it isn't a certainty that you could hit 4.0ghz on either chipset motherboard. You could hit higher too, won't know until you try the overclock.

Seems like that cooler will be able to handle a mild to medium overclock though from the reviews I've seen.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 1, 2014 5:48:17 AM

Swordkd said:
In general, the 990fx chipset overclocks better, but as Jaxem said it isn't a certainty that you could hit 4.0ghz on either chipset motherboard. You could hit higher too, won't know until you try the overclock.

Seems like that cooler will be able to handle a mild to medium overclock though from the reviews I've seen.


I have the ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 with an FX-8320. I currently have it at 3.7Ghz stable no problems. Will I be able to overclock it further to 3.75 or 3.80Ghz ? ?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2014 5:57:56 AM

you can easily overclock it to 4.0-4.2ghz without much problem if you have a decent cpu although above 4.1-4.2ghz is going to take increasing in voltage.
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 2:59:06 AM

Amangoel23 said:
you can easily overclock it to 4.0-4.2ghz without much problem if you have a decent cpu although above 4.1-4.2ghz is going to take increasing in voltage.


Yeah but I don't think the motherboard can handle such clocks like that
m
0
l
May 22, 2014 4:30:43 PM

i have the 8320 on the same board clocked at 4.6 stable @ 1.457v. but BE WARNED, this motherboard is designed using a 4+1 power phase, and the 8320 is supposed to be used on an 8+2 p/p board. i strongly advise not to go any higher than 4.4 ish MAX. my boards vram blew after a week of gaming at 4.8ghz. the cpu is far too power sapping for that mobo
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2014 1:28:29 AM

cjhudlin said:
i have the 8320 on the same board clocked at 4.6 stable @ 1.457v. but BE WARNED, this motherboard is designed using a 4+1 power phase, and the 8320 is supposed to be used on an 8+2 p/p board. i strongly advise not to go any higher than 4.4 ish MAX. my boards vram blew after a week of gaming at 4.8ghz. the cpu is far too power sapping for that mobo


Using what? Overclock? X-boost? Multiplier?
m
0
l
December 12, 2014 4:06:03 AM

Mr_Venbeer said:
cjhudlin said:
i have the 8320 on the same board clocked at 4.6 stable @ 1.457v. but BE WARNED, this motherboard is designed using a 4+1 power phase, and the 8320 is supposed to be used on an 8+2 p/p board. i strongly advise not to go any higher than 4.4 ish MAX. my boards vram blew after a week of gaming at 4.8ghz. the cpu is far too power sapping for that mobo


Using what? Overclock? X-boost? Multiplier?


Through bios
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 12, 2014 3:41:53 PM

cjhudlin said:
Mr_Venbeer said:
cjhudlin said:
i have the 8320 on the same board clocked at 4.6 stable @ 1.457v. but BE WARNED, this motherboard is designed using a 4+1 power phase, and the 8320 is supposed to be used on an 8+2 p/p board. i strongly advise not to go any higher than 4.4 ish MAX. my boards vram blew after a week of gaming at 4.8ghz. the cpu is far too power sapping for that mobo


Using what? Overclock? X-boost? Multiplier?


Through bios


Yes i know, but how did you overclock it, as in what setting in the BIOS?
m
0
l
December 13, 2014 1:33:07 AM

Mr_Venbeer said:
cjhudlin said:
Mr_Venbeer said:
cjhudlin said:
i have the 8320 on the same board clocked at 4.6 stable @ 1.457v. but BE WARNED, this motherboard is designed using a 4+1 power phase, and the 8320 is supposed to be used on an 8+2 p/p board. i strongly advise not to go any higher than 4.4 ish MAX. my boards vram blew after a week of gaming at 4.8ghz. the cpu is far too power sapping for that mobo


Using what? Overclock? X-boost? Multiplier?


Through bios


Yes i know, but how did you overclock it, as in what setting in the BIOS?


I can't remember I'd upgraded since then. Use the voltage stated and try different multipliers. Every processor is different so it doesn't mean yours will get up there. You might need extra voltage. But be careful as this board cant handle much. This cpu draws too much current for this board.
m
0
l
March 11, 2015 9:33:41 AM

Osoclocker69 said:
Swordkd said:
In general, the 990fx chipset overclocks better, but as Jaxem said it isn't a certainty that you could hit 4.0ghz on either chipset motherboard. You could hit higher too, won't know until you try the overclock.

Seems like that cooler will be able to handle a mild to medium overclock though from the reviews I've seen.


I have the ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 with an FX-8320. I currently have it at 3.7Ghz stable no problems. Will I be able to overclock it further to 3.75 or 3.80Ghz ? ?


I'm currently running an 8320E on an ASRock 970 Extreme3 at 4.0 Ghz @1.225 Volts stable. (Also using a Cooler Master Vortex cooler). You should be fine
m
0
l
March 20, 2016 12:30:07 PM

Mine's stable at 4.3ghz but as stated above every chip is different.
m
0
l
March 24, 2016 8:01:11 AM

im running a fx8320 on a msi 990fxa gd80v2 @ 4.9ghz in dead winter i'm able to grab 5.1ghz because my house is cooler. she runs stable as a rock, water cooled @ she runs roughly 29c to 40c. she is overclocked through multiplier and fsb. dont go by any amd mainboard voltages because 9 out of 10 boards i have either owned or worked on have wrong voltage readings. my board shows my setting at 1.6200v but actual voltage is 1.52v. she runs 24/7 i dont turn my machine off at all. stable as a rock.
m
0
l