Solved

Building a PC for my parents, advice sought!

So I've got a spare GTX 580, 8 GB of RAM (corsair vengeance) and a couple of 120mm fans lying in my spare parts bin, and my parents need a new PC. I was thinking of building them a new one out of the spares I have.

But I'll also need some other pieces

Hard Drive ($72)
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/western-digital-wd-blue-wd10ezex-35-1tb-sata-60gbs-hard-drive-aa19761

Optical ($22)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=658_667&products_id=23679


This Case ($105)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_1532&products_id=17904

This PSU ($105)
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/corsair-cx600m-modular-bronze-power-supply-ab48195

This Motherboard ($125)
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1019&products_id=23795

and This CPU ($145)
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/intel-core-i3-4130-dual-core-34ghz-lga-1150-processor-ab51301

Total: A$574


Is there anything you reckon I've missed? Help greatly appreciated
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building parents advice sought
  1. Looks good, i3 is a good choice for a parents' machine. You could probably save some dough on the case, get something pretty cheap, doesn't sound like it needs to be anything top of the line. Silverstone has another mini case: SilverStone SST-PS07B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163186) for a bit less. Not sure what you have available to yourself in Australia.

    You could settle for less wattage for sure, if you wanted to save a few there as well.

    Do they need an optical drive? Storage drive? Don't forget an operating system...
  2. ACTechy said:
    Looks good, i3 is a good choice for a parents' machine. You could probably save some dough on the case, get something pretty cheap, doesn't sound like it needs to be anything top of the line. Silverstone has another mini case: SilverStone SST-PS07B (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163186) for a bit less. Not sure what you have available to yourself in Australia.

    You could settle for less wattage for sure, if you wanted to save a few there as well.

    Do they need an optical drive? Storage drive? Don't forget an operating system...



    I wasn't sure how low wattage I can go on a GTX 580

    =\ can't believe I forgot the OD and HDD, I'll update the OP now
  3. the cosair r200 is also a good case. for the mb save some cash get an h87 mb from asus or asroc you can use a cheap usb dongel or a pci 1x card for wifi if you need in. atx mb have better vrm to last longer then the smaller itx and it have better cooling. the only part i have you replace it the stock intel fan. the stock fans that ship unless intel changes them use plastic legs and feet that dont lock in real well. a cheap cooler that uses a back plate work a lot better then the stock intel cpu.
  4. smorizio said:
    the cosair r200 is also a good case. for the mb save some cash get an h87 mb from asus or asroc you can use a cheap usb dongel or a pci 1x card for wifi if you need in. atx mb have better vrm to last longer then the smaller itx and it have better cooling. the only part i have you replace it the stock intel fan. the stock fans that ship unless intel changes them use plastic legs and feet that dont lock in real well. a cheap cooler that uses a back plate work a lot better then the stock intel cpu.



    Well, it's an i3...

    How about this motherboard?

    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1019&products_id=23795 I realised I also have a wifi card lyign around.
  5. Best answer
    I don't know AStyle, but it looks decent. Recommended wattage is 600W, but then again I doubt your parents are ever going to push a GTX 580. You'd probably be fine with a quality 500-550W. Especially with lower end, less powerful components.

    I wouldn't replace the stock cooler. It will be fine for what they're going to use it for.
  6. ACTechy said:
    I don't know AStyle, but it looks decent. Recommended wattage is 600W, but then again I doubt your parents are ever going to push a GTX 580. You'd probably be fine with a quality 500-550W. Especially with lower end, less powerful components.

    I wouldn't replace the stock cooler. It will be fine for what they're going to use it for.


    They really won;t

    if 600 is fine, this? http://www.mwave.com.au/product/corsair-cx600m-modular-bronze-power-supply-ab48195
  7. you could also use a small itx case and a cheap 630 or 640 video card.
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_1171&products_id=25206
    there few good asus h87 mb that in the 130 price range too for mb.
  8. OpalReactor said:


    Definitely, that's a good option for this kind of build.
  9. smorizio said:
    you could also use a small itx case and a cheap 630 or 640 video card.
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_1171&products_id=25206
    there few good asus h87 mb that in the 130 price range too for mb.



    You realise the first seven words of this post are "So I've got a spare GTX 580"
Ask a new question

Read More

System help Systems