Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Do you think this build will run BF4 on ultra at 100+ FPS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 26, 2013 11:08:58 PM

I'm not sure about the video card, that's why I'm posting in the GPU section.
What do you guys think? I was actually planning on getting the R9 280X but all the specs aren't out yet.

If this build won't obtain 100+ FPS on ultra in BF4, what parts can I get that will allow this?
Thanks a lot!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($206.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($155.00)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ Amazon)
September 26, 2013 11:24:12 PM

I don't know if a single 7970 will be able to get 100fps at Ultra quality.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:26:54 PM

Probably not. Assuming BF4 will be more graphically intensive than BF3, You will get roughly 60 fps. BF3 on ultra with 4x msaa gets 75 fps from a single 7970.
Maybe if you lowered msaa, but I would go for dual 7950's (~110 fps on BF3 with 4x msaa) or wait for the r9 280x.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 26, 2013 11:29:54 PM

No way u can get 100 fps on bf4 with any card. You should be able to get 60+ fps on ultra with amd r9290x or gtx 780. 60 fps is the most you'll need anyway. Or you can wait for the maxwell gtx 880 next year that could probably get close to 100 fps.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:32:52 PM

Mike Friesen said:
Probably not. Assuming BF4 will be more graphically intensive than BF3, You will get roughly 60 fps. BF3 on ultra with 4x msaa gets 75 fps from a single 7970.
Maybe if you lowered msaa, but I would go for dual 7950's (~110 fps on BF3 with 4x msaa) or wait for the r9 280x.


I'm guessing that the specs of the R9 280X aren't going to be much higher than the 7970. I heard it's just an overclocked 7970...
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:33:45 PM

lord hircine said:
No way u can get 100 fps on bf4 with any card. You should be able to get 60+ fps on ultra with amd r9290x or gtx 780. 60 fps is the most you'll need anyway. Or you can wait for the maxwell gtx 880 next year that could probably get close to 100 fps.


No single card will output 100+ FPS? What about dual cards?
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:47:09 PM

ryder553 said:
lord hircine said:
No way u can get 100 fps on bf4 with any card. You should be able to get 60+ fps on ultra with amd r9290x or gtx 780. 60 fps is the most you'll need anyway. Or you can wait for the maxwell gtx 880 next year that could probably get close to 100 fps.


No single card will output 100+ FPS? What about dual cards?


Nvm i take that back, you don't need dual cards if you're playing on a single 1080p monitor, you should get around 100 fps on average but you'll need either a gtx 780 hof edition or a r9 290x. A regular 780 gets around 100 fps on a single 1080p monitor in bf3 but bf4 should be a more demanding. You should wait for the r9 290x since it'll be like 600 dollars i think thats around 100 bucks cheaper than a 780 hof.

m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:07:10 AM

lord hircine said:
ryder553 said:
lord hircine said:
No way u can get 100 fps on bf4 with any card. You should be able to get 60+ fps on ultra with amd r9290x or gtx 780. 60 fps is the most you'll need anyway. Or you can wait for the maxwell gtx 880 next year that could probably get close to 100 fps.


No single card will output 100+ FPS? What about dual cards?


Nvm i take that back, you don't need dual cards if you're playing on a single 1080p monitor, you should get around 100 fps on average but you'll need either a gtx 780 hof edition or a r9 290x. A regular 780 gets around 100 fps on a single 1080p monitor in bf3 but bf4 should be a more demanding. You should wait for the r9 290x since it'll be like 600 dollars i think thats around 100 bucks cheaper than a 780 hof.



Can I get a similar frame rate with two lower end cards (or would that not be ideal)?
Maybe spend around $450?
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:14:00 AM

ryder553 said:
lord hircine said:
ryder553 said:
lord hircine said:
No way u can get 100 fps on bf4 with any card. You should be able to get 60+ fps on ultra with amd r9290x or gtx 780. 60 fps is the most you'll need anyway. Or you can wait for the maxwell gtx 880 next year that could probably get close to 100 fps.


No single card will output 100+ FPS? What about dual cards?


Nvm i take that back, you don't need dual cards if you're playing on a single 1080p monitor, you should get around 100 fps on average but you'll need either a gtx 780 hof edition or a r9 290x. A regular 780 gets around 100 fps on a single 1080p monitor in bf3 but bf4 should be a more demanding. You should wait for the r9 290x since it'll be like 600 dollars i think thats around 100 bucks cheaper than a 780 hof.



Can I get a similar frame rate with two lower end cards (or would that not be ideal)?
Maybe spend around $450?


Unfortunately no =( unless you wait till like june next year for the maxwell 870 or something. You could also wait for the review of r9 290(non x) maybe this might be enough.

m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:47:34 AM

lord hircine said:
Unfortunately no =( unless you wait till like june next year for the maxwell 870 or something. You could also wait for the review of r9 290(non x) maybe this might be enough.


Well, I definitely won't be waiting that long! I just ordered all the parts for my new PC excluding the video card yesterday and they should be here today. Guess I'll wait for the R9 line of GPUs. When do you think they will ship?
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 1:42:37 AM

Maybe if mantle API is superior to DX and if it works just as well on 7000 series as on upcoming GPUs, otherwise not really. I would not buy a 144hz monitor tbh, I would get 120hz max since you will most likely not be able to reach 144 fps average on many upcoming games with that gpu.
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 8:46:20 AM

srhnd said:
Maybe if mantle API is superior to DX and if it works just as well on 7000 series as on upcoming GPUs, otherwise not really. I would not buy a 144hz monitor tbh, I would get 120hz max since you will most likely not be able to reach 144 fps average on many upcoming games with that gpu.


Oh well, I already got the monitor. I think I'm going to just wait for the new cards and I'll see what to do from there.

I don't REALLY want to spend more than $450, but I will if I have to.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 9:30:06 AM

lord hircine said:
No way u can get 100 fps on bf4 with any card. You should be able to get 60+ fps on ultra with amd r9290x or gtx 780. 60 fps is the most you'll need anyway. Or you can wait for the maxwell gtx 880 next year that could probably get close to 100 fps.


Well... I'm using a gtx 770 and on MOST game-modes (not campaign or conquest) I've NEVER gone below 70fps and I'm averaging about 100. I know it seems unreal, but I'm being sincere here. I've only overclocked my card by 100mhz above what it is (also, I'm running a 4.2ghz i5, so there's no bottleneck at all). A 7970 is a TINY bit less powerful than a 770, but not much. So no, not 100+ fps, but pretty damn close.
-edit-
I meant to say maxed settings for those framerates, and by conquest, I meant looking over the entire map on a large map, where I get about 69-80.
m
0
l
!