Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New to pc gaming and need some advice on my rig

Tags:
  • Components
  • PC gaming
Last response: in Components
Share
September 26, 2013 11:17:48 PM

my rig is running
mobo-msi h61m-p31/g3
4gb ram
CPU-DualCore Intel Celeron G1610, 2600 MHz (26 x 100)
Gpu- Geforce 8800 GTX 768mb os- windows 7 64 bit
So my question is what should i upgrade on this (looking for a mid level gaming pc) not looking to spend a ton. alot of people said my gpu is outdated? so please let me know what you think and what i should upgrade thank you!

More about : gaming advice rig

September 26, 2013 11:20:44 PM

Whats your price range, cause your processor, motherboard, GPU, and RAM could all use updating.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:31:40 PM

ddbtkd456 said:
Whats your price range, cause your processor, motherboard, GPU, and RAM could all use updating.


Well i dont really have a max price But i dont spend all day on my gaming computer how much would it be to upgrade all of it?
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:45:43 PM

Since your motherboard supports i3, i5, and i7 sockets its a little dated but it will work for quite some time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.97 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $474.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 02:44 EDT-0400)

You can go less on the video card, but that one would pretty much max out any game on high settings.
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:51:53 PM

ddbtkd456 said:
Since your motherboard supports i3, i5, and i7 sockets its a little dated but it will work for quite some time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.97 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $474.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 02:44 EDT-0400)

You can go less on the video card, but that one would pretty much max out any game on high settings.


http://www.amazon.com/GDDR5-technology-Graphics-Cards-H... so this gpu? can i run my system with that gpu than eventualy get the i5 or would my system bottleneck?
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:53:39 PM

ddbtkd456 said:
Since your motherboard supports i3, i5, and i7 sockets its a little dated but it will work for quite some time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.97 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $474.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 02:44 EDT-0400)

You can go less on the video card, but that one would pretty much max out any game on high settings.


http://www.amazon.com/GDDR5-technology-Graphics-Cards-H... i mean this gpu
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:56:08 PM

ddbtkd456 said:
Since your motherboard supports i3, i5, and i7 sockets its a little dated but it will work for quite some time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.97 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $474.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 02:44 EDT-0400)

You can go less on the video card, but that one would pretty much max out any game on high settings.


http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?... this one lol my bad
m
0
l
September 26, 2013 11:59:48 PM

You can, it would bottleneck your system quite a bit but if its your only option i would go for it, otherwise the ASUS HD 7770 you picked out will run a lot of games maxed out, however, in some of the more intensive games you will have to turn down the graphics a little (as with any graphic card really).
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:04:16 AM

ddbtkd456 said:
You can, it would bottleneck your system quite a bit but if its your only option i would go for it, otherwise the ASUS HD 7770 you picked out will run a lot of games maxed out, however, in some of the more intensive games you will have to turn down the graphics a little (as with any graphic card really).


would the 7770 bottleneck it? and also if the gpu is ddr5 is my ddr3 ram okay or ill need to upgrade?
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:07:10 AM

-This is a little under 800, but it will give you 2-3 years of solid PC gaming without any issues.

-You won't be maxing out games, but you can play gaming for the next couple years at medium to high(not ultra) at 60FPS easily. The graphics card will likely be due for an upgrade by the end of 2014/early 2015 if you want more power, but so will any of the current graphics cards in the 200-400 range.

* A 7770 is really weak, I don't recommend it, you will hurt yourself the most by skimping out on the graphics card.

-You won't need to upgrade memory for a few years, DDR4 will start coming out soon, but not be mainstream for a little while.

-You can also sell old components to get some of your investment back so you can get newer components cheaper, not much the longer you wait though.

-Processor will handle most games fine, AMD processors are great for budget builds, and will handle games well.

-You can drop the optical drive and use one from your current PC if you wanted to also.

-You also want a good power supply too that has enough amps/watts for your graphics card or system overall.


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($93.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $772.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 03:03 EDT-0400)
m
0
l

Best solution

September 27, 2013 12:07:22 AM

DDR5 = Graphic Card Ram
DDR3 = System RAM

there is no connection between the two just one is RAM for gpu (Graphics card) and the other is RAM for the system itself. I think the 7770 would have a better chance of not bottle necking it then the one i suggested, wait on the card i suggested, keep your CPU and motherboard and upgrade the ram and the gpu. You will get the best performance without being able to upgrade the processor. Remember to pick your best answer so others may learn from this thread. If you want to keep your RAM the same i wouldn't recommend it, as a rule of thumb most game typically use about 4-6 gigs or ram.
Share
September 27, 2013 12:13:40 AM

ddbtkd456 said:
DDR5 = Graphic Card Ram
DDR3 = System RAM

there is no connection between the two just one is RAM for gpu (Graphics card) and the other is RAM for the system itself. I think the 7770 would have a better chance of not bottle necking it then the one i suggested, wait on the card i suggested, keep your CPU and motherboard and upgrade the ram and the gpu. You will get the best performance without being able to upgrade the processor. Remember to pick your best answer so others may learn from this thread. If you want to keep your RAM the same i wouldn't recommend it, as a rule of thumb most game typically use about 4-6 gigs or ram.


Alright so upgrade to ddr5 ram?
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:24:12 AM

Alright so upgrade to ddr5 ram? said:
Alright so upgrade to ddr5 ram?



GDDR5 is the memory on a graphics card.

DDR3 or DDR4 are the memory sticks you install onto the motherboard.

You just need 8GB of standard DDR3.



I do not know what games you intend to play, but a 7770 will not cut it for a lot of games now and coming out, it's weak. You can get a more powerful card if you upgrade the processor to what that guy posted above.
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:25:21 AM

No ddr5 does not exist for upgrading purposes, they come installed (unseen) in the graphics card as virtual memory, you want to upgrade the DDR3 ram (which is the long sticks of ram in the middle to top right or left of your motherboard (they are visible)
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:25:22 AM

edogawa said:
Alright so upgrade to ddr5 ram?[/msgquoted said:



GDDR5 is the memory on a graphics card.

DDR3 or DDR4 are the memory sticks you install onto the motherboard.

You just need 8GB of standard DDR3.]Alright so upgrade to ddr5 ram?



GDDR5 is the memory on a graphics card.

DDR3 or DDR4 are the memory sticks you install onto the motherboard.

You just need 8GB of standard DDR3.


So just get an other 4gb stick?
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:27:41 AM

DerBear said:
edogawa said:
Alright so upgrade to ddr5 ram?[/msgquoted said:



GDDR5 is the memory on a graphics card.

DDR3 or DDR4 are the memory sticks you install onto the motherboard.

You just need 8GB of standard DDR3.


So just get an other 4gb stick?]Alright so upgrade to ddr5 ram?



GDDR5 is the memory on a graphics card.

DDR3 or DDR4 are the memory sticks you install onto the motherboard.

You just need 8GB of standard DDR3.


So just get an other 4gb stick?[/msgquoted]

Basically i would recommend buying 2 sticks in the same pack tho since then you know they are the same speed and the same CS Legacy, along with compatible with each other i would get 2 sticks of 4 GB ram, like i suggested just so you dont have any bottle-necking or weird issues with them not being compatible once you get them.
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:30:40 AM

ddbtkd456 said:
No ddr5 does not exist for upgrading purposes, they come installed (unseen) in the graphics card as virtual memory, you want to upgrade the DDR3 ram (which is the long sticks of ram in the middle to top right or left of your motherboard (they are visible)


Okay well thank you so much your really starting to get me to understand how pc compnents work and what they arei much appreciate it and also do you know anything about hard drives and power supplys? because i have a few questions if you dont mind helping
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:30:53 AM

It's never good to mix memory sticks of different latencies, timings, voltages.

It'd best to purchase a 2x4GB kit to avoid issues.
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:34:43 AM

edogawa said:
It's never good to mix memory sticks of different latencies, timings, voltages.

It'd best to purchase a 2x4GB kit to avoid issues.

alright thank you for your help! also i have a few power supply/hard drive questions?
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:36:12 AM

DerBear said:
ddbtkd456 said:
No ddr5 does not exist for upgrading purposes, they come installed (unseen) in the graphics card as virtual memory, you want to upgrade the DDR3 ram (which is the long sticks of ram in the middle to top right or left of your motherboard (they are visible)


Okay well thank you so much your really starting to get me to understand how pc compnents work and what they arei much appreciate it and also do you know anything about hard drives and power supplys? because i have a few questions if you dont mind helping


Hard drives: You want a reliable 7200RPM drive with 1TB of storage or more for a gaming system.

-The western digital Caviar Black has a long warranty, reliable, 7200RPM.
-The Seagate Barracuda drive is cheaper, but I find western digital to be more reliable.


Power Supplies:

Corsair, XFX, Seasonic are good brands to buy from.

Seasonic is an OEM to many brands too, and one of the best power supply makers.

For your type of system 500-600 watts is more than enough power. If you wanted to SLI, depending on graphics cards you'd need more.

A power supply needs to have enough amps on the 12v rail/s to power the system too.


If you have more specific questions just let me know.
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:40:51 AM

edogawa said:
DerBear said:
ddbtkd456 said:
No ddr5 does not exist for upgrading purposes, they come installed (unseen) in the graphics card as virtual memory, you want to upgrade the DDR3 ram (which is the long sticks of ram in the middle to top right or left of your motherboard (they are visible)


Okay well thank you so much your really starting to get me to understand how pc compnents work and what they arei much appreciate it and also do you know anything about hard drives and power supplys? because i have a few questions if you dont mind helping


Hard drives: You want a reliable 7200RPM drive with 1TB of storage or more for a gaming system.

-The western digital Caviar Black has a long warranty, reliable, 7200RPM.
-The Seagate Barracuda drive is cheaper, but I find western digital to be more reliable.


Power Supplies:

Corsair, XFX, Seasonic are good brands to buy from.

Seasonic is an OEM to many brands too, and one of the best power supply makers.

For your type of system 500-600 watts is more than enough power. If you wanted to SLI, depending on graphics cards you'd need more.

A power supply needs to have enough amps on the 12v rail/s to power the system too.


If you have more specific questions just let me know.

is 500 watts enough for this graphics card? http://www.amazon.com/GDDR5-technology-Graphics-Cards-H...
and also is this power supply good?
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Watt-EPS%C2%A0-CX...
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:42:28 AM

DerBear said:
ddbtkd456 said:
No ddr5 does not exist for upgrading purposes, they come installed (unseen) in the graphics card as virtual memory, you want to upgrade the DDR3 ram (which is the long sticks of ram in the middle to top right or left of your motherboard (they are visible)


Okay well thank you so much your really starting to get me to understand how pc compnents work and what they arei much appreciate it and also do you know anything about hard drives and power supplys? because i have a few questions if you dont mind helping


I think i just answered you questions about the hard drive, post them and i will see if i can answer them someone will lol.

m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:45:38 AM

DerBear said:
edogawa said:
DerBear said:
ddbtkd456 said:
No ddr5 does not exist for upgrading purposes, they come installed (unseen) in the graphics card as virtual memory, you want to upgrade the DDR3 ram (which is the long sticks of ram in the middle to top right or left of your motherboard (they are visible)


Okay well thank you so much your really starting to get me to understand how pc compnents work and what they arei much appreciate it and also do you know anything about hard drives and power supplys? because i have a few questions if you dont mind helping


Hard drives: You want a reliable 7200RPM drive with 1TB of storage or more for a gaming system.

-The western digital Caviar Black has a long warranty, reliable, 7200RPM.
-The Seagate Barracuda drive is cheaper, but I find western digital to be more reliable.


Power Supplies:

Corsair, XFX, Seasonic are good brands to buy from.

Seasonic is an OEM to many brands too, and one of the best power supply makers.

For your type of system 500-600 watts is more than enough power. If you wanted to SLI, depending on graphics cards you'd need more.

A power supply needs to have enough amps on the 12v rail/s to power the system too.


If you have more specific questions just let me know.

is 500 watts enough for this graphics card? http://www.amazon.com/GDDR5-technology-Graphics-Cards-H...
and also is this power supply good?
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Watt-EPS%C2%A0-CX...


Yes both are good, however you can save yourself some money for now and get a 430 watt computers don't use much power unless they are crossfiring (for example my computer with the following list probably doesn't even use 400 "true" watts out of my power supply:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $199.99)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $109.99)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (Purchased For $189.99)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $164.99)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $79.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $173.85)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $145.56)
Case Fan: NZXT FN-140RB 62.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $9.99)
Case Fan: NZXT FN-140RB 62.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $9.99)
Case Fan: NZXT FN-140RB 62.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $9.99)
Case Fan: NZXT FN-140RB 62.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $9.99)
Case Fan: NZXT FN-140RB 62.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $9.99)
Power Supply: XFX 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $109.99)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $22.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: NZXT Hue (Purchased For $28.99)
Other: NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller LCD Display (Purchased For $23.89)
Other: NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller LCD Display (Purchased For $23.89)
Other: Rosewill 45 Piece Tool Set (Purchased For $20.99)
Other: Monoprice 18-Inch SATA III 6.0 Gbps Cable with Locking Latch and 1 x 90-Degree Plug (x6) (Purchased For $16.08)
Other: USB 2.0 Internal Motherboard Extension Cable 20 Inches (Purchased For $4.25)
Other: Genius Hi-Fi Wood Speaker for Computers (SP-HF500A) (Purchased For $44.99)
Other: Anker® Gaming Mouse, 7 Programmable Buttons, up to 4000 DPI, 5 User Profiles (bound to specific games), Omron Micro Switches (Purchased For $21.99)
Other: Perixx PX-1100, Backlit Keyboard - Red/Blue/Purple Illuminated Keys - Gaming Style Sollid 3.5lbs Design - Rubber Painting Surface - 20 Million Key-press Lifecycle - Brightness Control Wheel - 6 Feet Long Cable - Adjustable Palm rest (Purchased For $39.99)
Other: 32" TV (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion (Black) (Purchased For $19.44)
Other: Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7950 OC with Boost 3 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11196-09-40G (Purchased For $249.99)
Total: $1741.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-27 03:45 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:45:39 AM

ddbtkd456 said:
DerBear said:
ddbtkd456 said:
No ddr5 does not exist for upgrading purposes, they come installed (unseen) in the graphics card as virtual memory, you want to upgrade the DDR3 ram (which is the long sticks of ram in the middle to top right or left of your motherboard (they are visible)


Okay well thank you so much your really starting to get me to understand how pc compnents work and what they arei much appreciate it and also do you know anything about hard drives and power supplys? because i have a few questions if you dont mind helping


I think i just answered you questions about the hard drive, post them and i will see if i can answer them someone will lol.



well is a 500wt power supply enough for this gpu? http://www.amazon.com/GDDR5-technology-Graphics-Cards-H...
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:47:04 AM

Corsair CX series are poor quality, you'd be best off with one of these:

Seasonic
http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-Watt-CrossFire-Certi...


Seasonic as OEM:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/ref=asc_df_B004RJ8E...

It's enough, a 7770 has a power requirement of 19a and 500W minimum for a system.


* The Seasonic power supply has 45 amps on the 12v Rail.
* The XFX power supply has 44 amps on the 12v rail.


You always want to have some head room on a power supply by 100 watts I'd recommend so you're not electrically wearing out the power supply fast.


Intel processors are very power efficient too vs AMD.

A Haswell(latest Intel processor) chip can be overclocked using around 40-50 watts while an 8320 can use up to almost 200 watts.


Heres (Intel) Ivy Bridge vs (AMD) line up.

m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:54:50 AM

edogawa said:
Corsair CX series are poor quality, you'd be best off with one of these:

Seasonic
http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-Watt-CrossFire-Certi...


Seasonic as OEM:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RJ8EKI/ref=asc_df_B004RJ8E...

It's enough, a 7770 has a power requirement of 19a and 500W minimum for a system.


* The Seasonic power supply has 45 amps on the 12v Rail.
* The XFX power supply has 44 amps on the 12v rail.


You always want to have some head room on a power supply by 100 watts I'd recommend so you're not electrically wearing out the power supply fast.


Intel processors are very power efficient too vs AMD.

A Haswell(latest Intel processor) chip can be overclocked using around 40-50 watts while an 8320 can use up to almost 200 watts.




And it will work in my pc with the mother board and everything else the same? just plug in and its good to go
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:56:19 AM

I am going to bed so i will talk to you in the morning, if you have any more questions either post them or send them to me in a PM so that way i can answer them in the morning.
m
0
l
September 27, 2013 12:56:19 AM

Yes, it will work with your current motherboard just fine or any new motherboard, no problem.
m
0
l
!