In-game Ping Fluctuation

Hi guys,

I'm coming to this forum as a complete idiot in terms of network stuff, and was wondering if any of you could lend me a hand.

I've been having ping fluctuation in League of Legends for the past 7-10 days in which my ping will sit at a nice 40ms, and suddenly rise to between 100-200ms. I have no idea what has caused it, I've done multiple virus scans, deleted recently downloaded files to see if the problem changes, it hasn't. I have also updated the drivers for my network card (Killer e2200) and GPU (GTX 675m) and this hasn't helped either.

I just really want to get to the bottom of what may be causing this problem, how I can check and how to fix it, so if anybody can help me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about game ping fluctuation
  1. Sounds like an issue with your service provider.

    Have you tried to open a dos window and doing a "ping -t" to a known site to see if it's something happening to the network itself vs just that game.
  2. namdlo said:
    Sounds like an issue with your service provider.

    Have you tried to open a dos window and doing a "ping -t" to a known site to see if it's something happening to the network itself vs just that game.


    I haven't tried that, could you give me a step-by-step? I really am an idiot when it comes to the networking side of computers :P
  3. Windows key+r
    cmd
    ping www.google.com -t

    press ctrl+c to end it (and see statistics)


    Doesn't have to be google, just anything that actually replies to ping requests (ie doesn't give an error)
  4. menetlaus said:
    Windows key+r
    cmd
    ping www.google.com -t

    press ctrl+c to end it (and see statistics)


    Doesn't have to be google, just anything that actually replies to ping requests (ie doesn't give an error)


    Thanks you got this in before I did.

    Either run your game in windowed mode or alt-tab out as soon as you see the latency spike. If it's your service provider it should spike on that as well.

    If it is your service provider open ticket to them to have them research it.
  5. Hey guys, been a week or so and the problems have been lessened, but they've shot back up in the past couple of days.

    Using the ping tester through windows to google.com, the dos window spikes at the same time as it does through the game.

    However, I was playing in the same game as my friend in the same house who had no issues throughout the game while my ping was up and down. Is there a reason for this?
  6. Quick bump,

    Can anyone else hazard a guess/opinion at what may be causing this, I'm ripping my hair out right now! :P
  7. half-high said:


    However, I was playing in the same game as my friend in the same house who had no issues throughout the game while my ping was up and down. Is there a reason for this?



    Your friend played League of Legends on his machine at your house and had no issues?

    If this is the case, then your machine has an issue and your network is fine - so you would be better re-posting in a relevant forum so that your query is presented among fellow forum users who can help you more.
    I suspect either it isn't spec'd enough for the game (sorry I'm not up up to speed with PC components, so can't comment on yours), or you need to tweak your PC settings, or maybe either a virus or a program is causing issues.
  8. half-high said:
    Hey guys, been a week or so and the problems have been lessened, but they've shot back up in the past couple of days.

    Using the ping tester through windows to google.com, the dos window spikes at the same time as it does through the game.

    However, I was playing in the same game as my friend in the same house who had no issues throughout the game while my ping was up and down. Is there a reason for this?


    Did he actually have no ping issues, or did he simply not notice them? Most people would be hard pressed to see the difference between a 40ms and 200ms ping in LoL unless watching the ping display.

    If he is over again try having him run the ping at the same time (or use another system of your own). If the ping spikes are only on your gaming system then there is something screwey there (i'd first look at the killerlan card - probably by removing it and testing with onboard network). If two separate systems spike the issue is either the router or your internet service.

    You can test the router by removing it and connecting directly to the ISP's modem (as long as not an all-in-one modem/router). If problem still exists contact the ISP, likewise if it is an all-in-one modem/router as they likely provided it, as they can do some additional testing on your lines/area.
Ask a new question

Read More

ping problem Games Network Card Networking