Can 7970's be crossfired easily now?

Masonisbetter

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I have read tons of threads about people crossfiring 7970s and actually getting worse performance than just using one. I've also had a friend try with no luck and he eventually wound up seeling his 7970 on craigslist. I have noticed that most of these threads and is issue go back about a year but none recently. Has AMD improved the drivers to make it work more consistently now? I am asking because I currently have one 7970 in my computer and I am considering buying another one but I don't want to do it if it's going to be an enormous pain in my ass... I'm not sure if this has an effect beyond having 2 PCIe slots but my motherboard is an ASUS M5A99FX R2.0. Any feedback on this subject would be much appreciated!

Solution
The 13.8 resolved some of the issues and 13.10 made more improvements still.... still not all there but I expect they will have it sorted out by year's end. Still have to wait quite a while for new game releases tho.

Masonisbetter

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013

Awesome! How much of a performance increase should I hope to see with two 7970s as opposed to one? Will this number increase with newer drivers updates? Thanks so much for the answer!

Raheel Hasan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
I think ur best option is to wait for amd next generation gpus and then sell ur current card and upgrade to a single high end gpu. Some of my friends with crossfire setups say that their most time is spent solving the problems with dual card setup instead of gaming.