Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Western Digital WD10EZEX is not recognized (Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 rev 1.x)

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 27, 2013 1:53:33 PM

Hello, this 1TB drive doesn't show up at BIOS.

Motherboard is SATA1 and HDD is supposed to be SATA3 (not sure, inconsistent documentation). Tried jumper at 5 & 6, didn't work. Checked working cables and different working channels, didn't work either. Please, ask any information you need to make it clearer if needed.

Thanks in advance.
September 27, 2013 1:58:45 PM

I want to suggest you look at updating the bios to latest revision (not beta).
September 27, 2013 2:05:11 PM

moulderhere said:
I want to suggest you look at updating the bios to latest revision (not beta).


Before asking I checked the changelog for every firmware version, but there wasn't any reference to SATA issues, should I try anyway?
September 29, 2013 3:08:06 PM

I updated the BIOS to the last version available (F13), same issue. Also, I checked the HDD using a newer computer (SATA3 native) and it worked. So the problem seems to be the negotiation of SATA1 between the HDD and the motherboard.
a c 740 G Storage
September 30, 2013 3:53:21 PM

Is your bios set for 48bit Lba?
October 1, 2013 2:46:42 AM

popatim said:
Is your bios set for 48bit Lba?


Thanks for your answer. I just got a SATA to IDE adaptor which uses the JM20330 chip, and using it the BIOS recognized the HDD perfectly, as 1TB, so I guess it's set to 48bit LBA. There's no option to set in the BIOS about "LBA", but something about "Large capacity", which is set to "Auto" or "Large", both of them don't work without the adapter.

I don't have any extra IDE ports available, so I still need a solution for this. So please, if you can share any information about this, do it.
a c 740 G Storage
October 1, 2013 5:13:46 PM

In the Bios - 'On chip Serial Ata' needs to be enabled
What mode are the sata ports set to in the bios? IDE or Raid? (needs to be in IDE mode since this board does not have an AHCI option nor will the Via chipset raid pass a single drive thru that I can recall)
October 2, 2013 3:15:25 PM

popatim said:
In the Bios - 'On chip Serial Ata' needs to be enabled
What mode are the sata ports set to in the bios? IDE or Raid? (needs to be in IDE mode since this board does not have an AHCI option nor will the Via chipset raid pass a single drive thru that I can recall)

Thanks again for your answer. On-chip Serial ATA is enabled, because my main drive is SATA1 (of course, it's working), and the mode is IDE. RAID doesn't work anyway. Tried any related option about HDD's in the BIOS. I don't know what else I can do.
a c 740 G Storage
October 2, 2013 4:43:42 PM

When you installed the 5-6 jumper, did you do it with the drive completely disconnected from the system?

If so there there's not much left to do, its imcompatible. :-(

If you don't mind experimenting you can try raid mode (with any other drive disconnected) and then get into the raid bios and see if IT see's the drive. (leave the 5-6 jumper on)

If it does then you can try to configure the drive as a single drive jbod. If that doesnt work try a single disk raid 1.

If either of those two worked then save and exit and install windows. You'll need th slipstream the raid drivers into XP or have them available on a floppy disk.

Your other option is to exchange it for a non-AF drive.

Best solution

October 3, 2013 11:59:10 AM
Share

popatim said:
When you installed the 5-6 jumper, did you do it with the drive completely disconnected from the system?

If so there there's not much left to do, its imcompatible. :-(

If you don't mind experimenting you can try raid mode (with any other drive disconnected) and then get into the raid bios and see if IT see's the drive. (leave the 5-6 jumper on)

If it does then you can try to configure the drive as a single drive jbod. If that doesnt work try a single disk raid 1.

If either of those two worked then save and exit and install windows. You'll need th slipstream the raid drivers into XP or have them available on a floppy disk.

Your other option is to exchange it for a non-AF drive.


Ok, that's weird. I installed two jumpers, 5&6 and 7&8, and now it is detected in the BIOS, IDE mode. Does it make sense? Neither both of them alone works.

I don't need to install XP, it's gonna be a backup disk, so thanks anyway. I was following your instructions when I thought about trying both jumpers.

It seems that 7&8 is doing more than just helping to align a single partition in order to fix the offset problem, or maybe I don't fully understand the Advanced Format technology.

I'll mark your last answer as the best answer anyway, but if you can make sense of all of this, or just tell me what concepts I should look at to make sense of it, I would be very grateful. Thanks for your answers, again.
a c 740 G Storage
October 3, 2013 7:45:36 PM

Hmm. 7/8 was the spread spectrum wasnt it? Wow I wouldn't think that would make a difference but grats on not giving up and trying everything!!!
October 4, 2013 3:58:10 AM

popatim said:
Hmm. 7/8 was the spread spectrum wasnt it? Wow I wouldn't think that would make a difference but grats on not giving up and trying everything!!!


It was an Advanced Format option to make Windows XP single partition aligned.
December 20, 2013 10:49:33 PM

Ravenons said:
popatim said:
When you installed the 5-6 jumper, did you do it with the drive completely disconnected from the system?

If so there there's not much left to do, its imcompatible. :-(

If you don't mind experimenting you can try raid mode (with any other drive disconnected) and then get into the raid bios and see if IT see's the drive. (leave the 5-6 jumper on)

If it does then you can try to configure the drive as a single drive jbod. If that doesnt work try a single disk raid 1.

If either of those two worked then save and exit and install windows. You'll need th slipstream the raid drivers into XP or have them available on a floppy disk.

Your other option is to exchange it for a non-AF drive.


Ok, that's weird. I installed two jumpers, 5&6 and 7&8, and now it is detected in the BIOS, IDE mode. Does it make sense? Neither both of them alone works.

I don't need to install XP, it's gonna be a backup disk, so thanks anyway. I was following your instructions when I thought about trying both jumpers.

It seems that 7&8 is doing more than just helping to align a single partition in order to fix the offset problem, or maybe I don't fully understand the Advanced Format technology.

I'll mark your last answer as the best answer anyway, but if you can make sense of all of this, or just tell me what concepts I should look at to make sense of it, I would be very grateful. Thanks for your answers, again.


Ravenons, thanks for posting this, I was in the same boat as you and the double-jumper trick worked for me.
December 22, 2013 6:20:51 PM

X-Kid said:
Ravenons, thanks for posting this, I was in the same boat as you and the double-jumper trick worked for me.


I'm so glad to know that it was useful for someone else, the least I could do after receiving help from the others :) 
!