FX-8350 Temp issues

Frank Perez

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hello all!

Two days ago I upgraded to an FX-8350 and a 212Evo cooler using Arctic Silver 5.

Idle temps are between 29C-32C. What worries me is with stock clock and voltage, using Prime95 my temps are hitting +70C under load

Would love some thoughts.

Setup:
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case

Fans:
Front, 200mm, intake
Top, 200mm, exhaust
Door, 200mm, intake
Bottom, 140mm, intake
Rear, 120mm, exhaust

Hyper 212 Evo with stock fan set as puller.

AMD FX-8350 stock settings
Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0
G. Skill DDR3-2133 4x4G
Corsair HX750
Samsung 840 SSD
Gigabyte GTX760OC 4G

Solution
Core Max at 51 really isn't that bad. Obviously, a longer Prime test would push it higher but that's still well within limit. As far as idle temp being idle being around 9C, that sounds about right for what an 8350 would display when not being pushed since it never displays the correct temp at the low ranges.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
First, what are you using to measure the temp? Second, are you reading core temp or board temp? Third, have you verified that you correctly applied the cooling paste? I know that seems straight-forward but that is a common source of overheating. That is definitely too high if you aren't overclocking.

Frank Perez

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
using HWMonitor. Temps are Socket temps, for some reason my trial version of HWMonitor does not give me core temps. The thermal paste is proper, grain of rice method. I do doubt myself, however, that I may have used a slight bit too much, but this cooler lets me see all 4 sides of the cpu and it isnt oozing over the sides.

If I used too much or too little, would my idle temps also be high? Everything I've read shows my idle temps being normal, but my load temps being the load temps you'd expect from a serious overclock.

70C is excessively hot under Prime95 load using a Hyper 212 Evo for being stock clock and voltage.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
When I pull up HWMonitor my core temps are listed under the package temp for the CPU and the value accurately reflects what CoreTemp also reads. However, it can't hurt to verify the value you get by installing CoreTemp. Thermal paste misapplication can lead to some unusual values, especially when your CPU is pushing the limit and more heat dissipation is required. The 8350 is also known for being slightly off at idle temps. Mine consistently reads about 17-18C at idle and since I don't live in a meat locker I know that's way off. But, before we assume the cooler may need to be reseated and thermal paste reapplied let's just make sure you're reading the correct value and that you're being given the correct value by your monitoring software.

And you are absolutely right, 70 is too hot for a non-overclocked chip under full load with a 212 Evo cooler.

Frank Perez

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
It is worth noting that temps are 4C lower all around from last night. Ambient temp remains at 23C

Ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes with CoreTemp and HWMonitor running.
Package Temp on HWMonitor was identical to CoreTemp. Package Temp idle was 9C and max was 51.2C
CPU Socket temp on HWMonitor was idle 27C and max 66C

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Core Max at 51 really isn't that bad. Obviously, a longer Prime test would push it higher but that's still well within limit. As far as idle temp being idle being around 9C, that sounds about right for what an 8350 would display when not being pushed since it never displays the correct temp at the low ranges.

Solution