Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can i overclock intel core i7-4770k

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 28, 2013 8:00:55 AM

please tell me which one is better intel core i7-4771 or intel core i7-4770k
some say intel core i7-4770k is unstable when overclocked but others say it works fine

i want to know that if intel core i7-4770k is unstable is intel core i7-4771 better then it.
a c 152 K Overclocking
a c 140 å Intel
September 28, 2013 8:08:50 AM

If it has "K" at the end then it can be overclocked in the right motherboard if not it can't.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 28, 2013 8:09:13 AM

The non-K series are what Intel calls "Partially Unlocked" since Sandy Bridge. You get 4 bins (1 bin is 100 Mhz, or whatever the base BCLK is set to, in this case) on top of the max turbo clock. So the max you will be able to do with the 4771 is 3.9 Ghz (max turbo) + 400 Mhz (partially unlocked multipliers) = 4.3 Ghz max. With a small bit of BCLK adjustment, you can get 4.4 Ghz (most likely stable).

If you are bent on OC'ing more than 4.3 - 4.4 Ghz, you have no choice but to get a K-model (and a good cooler). Otherwise, you can get away with a 4771 just fine. However, the price difference is nearly nil between the two models, and they both Turbo to 3.9 Ghz, so there really isn't much of a difference. If your priorities with a computer is as you listed, you won't miss any of the pro features on the non-K models (that's right, the K models lack certain features like Trusted Execution). If the price is nearly identical (within 20 bucks in my opinion), go for a K model would be my suggestion.

Most motherboards offer some form of "Turbo Enhancement" where all the cores are working at the max Turbo speed, not just 1 or 2. So you can usually count on the 4.3 Ghz as your all core max speed.

As for system limits, usually you get plenty of warning signs before something goes seriously wrong, such as crashes, and unusually high temperatures (on the CPU or the VRM on the motherboard). You can always establish a good baseline by reading a review or two on your preferred motherboard, to see what the reviewers have said about the OC capability of that board. Most of these boards also come with a tuning utility (in the BIOS/UEFI or in windows) that allows you to essentially push a button/click once to automatically overclock, which is great for beginners. That option is very safe and usually takes you to with in 15% of the max your CPU+Board+Heatsink/Fan solution is able to do, and that's typically enough, unless you plan on beating records.
Share
Related resources
September 28, 2013 8:42:15 AM

Ronny927 said:
The non-K series are what Intel calls "Partially Unlocked" since Sandy Bridge. You get 4 bins (1 bin is 100 Mhz, or whatever the base BCLK is set to, in this case) on top of the max turbo clock. So the max you will be able to do with the 4771 is 3.9 Ghz (max turbo) + 400 Mhz (partially unlocked multipliers) = 4.3 Ghz max. With a small bit of BCLK adjustment, you can get 4.4 Ghz (most likely stable).

If you are bent on OC'ing more than 4.3 - 4.4 Ghz, you have no choice but to get a K-model (and a good cooler). Otherwise, you can get away with a 4771 just fine. However, the price difference is nearly nil between the two models, and they both Turbo to 3.9 Ghz, so there really isn't much of a difference. If your priorities with a computer is as you listed, you won't miss any of the pro features on the non-K models (that's right, the K models lack certain features like Trusted Execution). If the price is nearly identical (within 20 bucks in my opinion), go for a K model would be my suggestion.

Most motherboards offer some form of "Turbo Enhancement" where all the cores are working at the max Turbo speed, not just 1 or 2. So you can usually count on the 4.3 Ghz as your all core max speed.

As for system limits, usually you get plenty of warning signs before something goes seriously wrong, such as crashes, and unusually high temperatures (on the CPU or the VRM on the motherboard). You can always establish a good baseline by reading a review or two on your preferred motherboard, to see what the reviewers have said about the OC capability of that board. Most of these boards also come with a tuning utility (in the BIOS/UEFI or in windows) that allows you to essentially push a button/click once to automatically overclock, which is great for beginners. That option is very safe and usually takes you to with in 15% of the max your CPU+Board+Heatsink/Fan solution is able to do, and that's typically enough, unless you plan on beating records.





but is it safe to overclock Intel Core i7-4770K
m
0
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a c 140 å Intel
September 28, 2013 8:53:14 AM

Yes with adequate cooling!
m
0
l
September 29, 2013 4:03:25 AM

rolli59 said:
Yes with adequate cooling!



Can you suggest a complete build of i7 4990k
within 1500$
m
0
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a c 140 å Intel
September 29, 2013 8:06:58 AM

AKL said:
rolli59 said:
Yes with adequate cooling!



Can you suggest a complete build of i7 4990k
within 1500$

Suggestion http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ISuJ
m
0
l
September 29, 2013 9:58:23 AM

rolli59 said:
AKL said:
rolli59 said:
Yes with adequate cooling!



Can you suggest a complete build of i7 4990k
within 1500$

Suggestion http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ISuJ




is MSI Z87 MPower Max better thean Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
m
0
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a c 140 å Intel
September 29, 2013 10:23:12 AM

Not really, the Asus has all the features that a good board needs inclusive of enough power phases for overclocking.
m
0
l
September 30, 2013 7:43:37 AM

rolli59 said:
Not really, the Asus has all the features that a good board needs inclusive of enough power phases for overclocking.



can you comment on MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING vs asus Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard vs
MSI Z87 MPower Extreme vs Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
m
0
l
a c 152 K Overclocking
a c 140 å Intel
September 30, 2013 8:00:32 AM

The PRO and the MSI GD65 are in the price range I would be looking at but here is a couple of other Asus boards and I would actually consider the Hero http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Spending over $200 gives diminishing returns since the performance of the boards around that price has already reached top level.
m
0
l
January 27, 2014 1:46:23 PM

Corsair 650D case
Intel i7-4770K 3.5 OC'ed to 4.422
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA LGA 1150 Intel Z87
2 NVIDIA GTX 680 04g-p4-2686 (SLI) 4 gigs of mem
GSkill F3-2400C10D-16GTX CL 10-12-12-31 1.65V
Corsair H100i cpu water cooler
Corsair 1050 watt PSU
Intel 520 series 120 gb SSD
Kingston Hyper 120gb SSD
WB Velociraptor 70 gb HD 10,000 rpm
Seagate 2tb hybrid ssd/reg Hard drive
Sony DVD read/write 40 speed
Logitech YUY-95 illuminated keyboard
Corsair M-60 mouse
Razor Nostromo mini keyboard
Creative Labs 7.1 T7700 speaker system
Cyber Power 850 AVR voltage regulator and power backup
Three Dell 24" monitors
TYKE 73B - Triple Monitor Stand Free Standing Curved Arm
OS= Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit


I am very happy with my new rig. Im getting 4.3 stable, but used to get 4422 before I stopped using Asus Suite. Now I just use the Bios.
m
0
l
!