Fx 8320 vs i5 4670k for future

D

Deleted member 1246204

i'd go with the i5 4670K since you will be only gaming, the FX would be for video editing etc.
they are both good but if your going to game and nothing else then go for the i5 4670K

Also yes the CPU does matter in gaming.

Bharatcs

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

what about heavy programmings?

programing... heavy or otherwise isn't all that cpu intensive. waiting for a program to compile is measured in seconds not minutes. but yes, you probably will be able to time the haswell as a critical 2 or 3 seconds faster then the fx on a big hefty piece of code. Seriously now... while i don't disagree that intel cpus are better then amd cpus, i think sometimes people lose a lot of perspective about how big a difference we're talking about. If you just have one monitor with a 60hz refresh rate, you'll NEVER tell the difference between an AMD cpu or Intel when gaming (yes even in skyrim or civ5). You gpu is far more important then your pc is for giving you a better or worse gaming experience.

If by building an AMD rig you're able to squeeze an SSD or better gpu into your budget, Get the AMD. it will feel like a better computer with either of those upgrades. If your rig will be identical regardless of the cpu you use, then get the intel, as, it is a slightly better part. if you have 3 monitors and plan to SLi/xfire and all of them are 144hz monitors, then get the intel. otherwise you'll never tell the difference unless the two hypothetical rigs are sitting next to each other and you have a stopwatch in your hand.

adimeister

Honorable
^+1 bro. Intel fan boys and AMD fan boys are just way too exaggerating things between their fave products. No doubt Intel has the fastest in the market, but the priciest too. haha But AMD is also not that far, and it's way cheaper. :) You can even just get the 6350 bro if you don't need that much power from the 8350 or 4670k

Bharatcs

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

I'am totaly confused.these are my trouble.
1.The computer sellers tell amd loses performance as it gets old.
2.if i choose intel i cant get a good gpu,but iam afraid i will lose performance if i go for amd,thus wasting money.
Chaos..:|

yeah... remember pc salesmen generally are like car salesmen and get a commission. (yes they are paid commission)

that means his MAIN purpose is to get you to spend $$. any pc salesman who claims AMD cpus get "weaker" with age is either a liar or an idiot. either way i wouldn't talk to him again.

Bharatcs

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

these are my needs, also will be using a single 21.5 or 23 inch monitor cost under 200 .
1.casual gaming
2.browsing,online video
3. Programming
4.watching movie
5.pdf book reading
6.other basic tasks.
So which cpu to go for?
Also a gpu?

Bharatcs

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

country india, budget 600 dollar

op24ti12mus94

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
Intel i5 4670k for sure if I were to choose between those two.
Frankly your needs don't demand so high CPU you could well be happy with an i3 too; and as ingtar33 said, if you are making a high end system then you got to fix and mention your budget.
But in the end I feel you could be pretty much happy with a casual system judging from your tasks.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Get i5 - it is a lot better than 8320 in single threaded apps, and just a bit slower in multithreaded apps (but that depends on OC'ed GHz).

Why get i5 then? Well, you will be able to easily upgrade to i7 in the future while with 8320 you will not have any upgrade path.

a $600 budget in india... hrm... prices are high in india. let me chew on that one. i don't think you'll want an intel at that price point. not even sure you'll want an 8320... maybe a 6300... let me chew on this for a bit.

Bharatcs

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

correct mate, actually online prices are overpriced but from wholesalers there is a difference of about 40-50 dollars cheaper.also gpu cost is higher,not much change
so which build should i go for

Gaidax

Distinguished

I think that dude said the right thing and you should listen to him.

Yeah, Intel one is more powerful, but it's nowhere near significant really. The GPU advice is sound, although CPU is not to be underestimated, but FX one should do well enough for everything.

As on the CPU longevity, either will do fine for 3 years and more. Worst case scenario - there is a warranty. Don't do the useless overclocking, don't mess with the components like CPU heatsink or paste after the initial installation and it will last all the time you need.

On the overclocking - don't do it, it's useless and pointless. It does not matter really, if whatever you do runs well, then don't screw with it and if it runs like shit, then overclocking won't really change it.

Oh and with lower budget definitely go AMD, their CPU's have amazing value in them, anything same price from Intel would probably be worse (except for that FX95whatever failure).

hawkswoop

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I believe that if performance in alone is your main concern i would definitily go with the 4650k as it performes better in single threaded applications (which most games are) and consume a lot less power . But... On the other hand you could spend your money on a 8320 which is cheaper and pick up a cheaper motherboard and then save your money on a nice mid tier graphics card (gtx760 or 7870) which will make a more of a difference in performance for gaming . I would even consider dropping to a fx6300 or a i3 as that will be fine for gaming and the tasks you require in your $600 dollar budget .

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
For gaming pass on the i7. Put saved money into gpu.

Also, multiple monitor gaming makes the cpu work less due to the gpu usually being the bottleneck with huge resolutions.

Finally... for longevity go for the i5 hands down. Atm the fx is plenty nearly all games and seem close to intel in performance in gaming. However, if you find benchmarks with dual or more gpus, or reduced resolution to remove gpu bottleneck, the true power of the i5 starts to show. Amd simply bottlenecks hard in these scenarios compared to intel. This gives us a glimpse into the future, once gpus get stronger and games get more demanding requiring strong gpu setups the amd users will be upgrading and you'll just need to overclock. There is a reason intel doesnt scale great with overclocking in most games, the gpu is the bottleneck, its already overkill.

Well.. I also live in India and I might be able to help you out, but we need to know some more things :

1. What parts do you need in that 600 dollar budget.
2. So, do you want a build under 40,000 rupees? (little more than 600 dollars.)
3. Also what are you going to use it for? Gaming, Video Editing, etc?
4. What parts do you already have? Maybe from your old rig?

Bharatcs

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

this includes cpu,motherboard,gpu,smps,hdd and ram.
Not above 600
i will be using it for
casual gaming
browsing
watching movie
large pdf files
programming
basic things
i have a cooler master elite case

also friends i will buy i5 4670 and a h87 motherboard now with other parts,it will be in budget.
Then later buy a graphics card?

Do not go with the Intel, go with the AMD instead. The lower price of the AMD chip will allow us to get a much better GPU and the GPU is what matters the most for gaming.

Hence I recommend this build.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 6 Core CPU (₹7674 @ Flipkart)
Mobo: MSI 970A-G46 (₹5879 @ Flipkart)
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 (₹4719 @ Flipkart)
PSU: Corsair Cx 500 80 Plus (₹3890 @ Flipkart)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (₹4575 @ Flipkart)
Graphics Card: MSI NVIDIA N660-2GD5/OC 2 GB (₹15688 @ Flipkart)
Total: ₹42425

Just one thing. Don't overclock with this build. If you want an overclocking motherboard, then add 200 more to it. If you are not overclocking then that is fine.

1. No, the 6300 would never ever bottleneck the 660 at all. Get your facts right.

2. Clearly just going for the Intel CPU is not going to increase the FPS to twice. This is clearly not how it works.

3. Clearly, the things you are saying makes no sense at all. I am quite surprised that even though you have some seriously wrong information about how gaming works you still have the CPU Authority badge.

Always remember that for gaming, the basic thing that matters is that you need a CPU that can push the GPU to it's maximum. That is all you need. And as far as I know the FX 6300 is easily able to push the Nvidia 660 to it's maximum.

And please get your facts right. You are not supposed to be suggesting wrong things to guys at TomsHardware.

Latest posts