Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Very specific problem regarding logging into Windows 7 blind

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 28, 2013 9:23:40 PM

Long story made short, I have a Windows 7 HP Dv6 laptop that has a completely useless LCD screen. I need to be able access the narrator (which reads on screen text) from the 'Users' screen.

This laptop has two users, so I need to be able to know which one is highlighted in order to login. The narrator will also help in connecting an external display, which is apparently impossible from the login screen, as I have tried many times.

Basically I am looking for the specific combination of keys that will turn the narrator on from the 'Users' screen.

Any other advice would be appreciated
September 28, 2013 9:33:38 PM

when you connect the external display, hit f8. it should automatically switch to the external display. though it may take several attempts, if it is cycling thorugh different screen options.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2013 9:35:36 PM

Hold Windows key, press P 4 times, release windows key.
Related resources
September 28, 2013 9:43:04 PM

TheinsanegamerN said:
when you connect the external display, hit f8. it should automatically switch to the external display. though it may take several attempts, if it is cycling thorugh different screen options.


The display key is F4, but even so, it doesn't seem to change the display settings until you log into the desktop, which I can't do right now.
I dunno, maybe my HDMI port is broken too, but I doubt it.
September 28, 2013 9:44:25 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
Hold Windows key, press P 4 times, release windows key.


Can you confirm if this works before first logging in?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2013 1:12:46 AM

Yes. Starting from the enter password screen with the display set to internal only, it switches to projector only.

Are you sure your GPU is OK?
September 29, 2013 4:04:22 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
Yes. Starting from the enter password screen with the display set to internal only, it switches to projector only.

Are you sure your GPU is OK?


It's very possible that the GPU or the HDMI port is damaged. In any case all I need to be able to do is log in and copy some files onto an external. The narrator seems like the only way of doing this.
September 29, 2013 11:01:35 AM

griffcity said:
Someone Somewhere said:
Yes. Starting from the enter password screen with the display set to internal only, it switches to projector only.

Are you sure your GPU is OK?


It's very possible that the GPU or the HDMI port is damaged. In any case all I need to be able to do is log in and copy some files onto an external. The narrator seems like the only way of doing this.

in this case, the best solution would be to pull the hard drive and put it in another machine.
September 29, 2013 7:08:04 PM

TheinsanegamerN said:
in this case, the best solution would be to pull the hard drive and put it in another machine.


Eh,I don't really want to do this, I just want to log in a retrieve some files...
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 29, 2013 7:52:43 PM

That would probably be easier than doing it by narrator.

Do you have any machines with a spare HDD bay or a second HDD you can temporarily remove?
September 29, 2013 10:27:34 PM

Someone Somewhere said:
That would probably be easier than doing it by narrator.

Do you have any machines with a spare HDD bay or a second HDD you can temporarily remove?


I have a new windows 8 HP laptop. How would I go about doing this? It seems complicated to me.

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2013 3:07:07 AM
Share

Get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2C5...

Pull the hard drive out of the old laptop (depends on the exact model, but unless it's a really thin ultrabook it's usually just a couple of screws) and connect it to your new laptop. Should mount like any external HDD. If not, you may need to try to boot from it or use a Linux USB stick
!