FX 6300 temperature reading problem

BroccoliKing

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I'm having problems with figuring out what temperatures my CPU has. I have tried a few programm(e?)s, but its always the same, the temperatures are messed up and way to low to be true, and they go up and down like crazy in idle(only in idle). But when im in the BIOS it usually says something around 31 degrees, which is more realistic than 6 degrees on idle. I also did some prime95 where the temps go up to 46, and stop jumping up and down (thats the highest ive seen), so any ideas on how to fix this?. And an additional paranoia question: when I play CS:GO for like an hour my fps drops from 90-100 to 60-40(even 20 when theres alot of action), could the CPU be throttleing? (hope i got that right) btw I use an arctic freezer 13 for a CPU cooler.

heres an image of the crazy idle temps: http://i.imgur.com/QascMlG.jpg

So the OS is reporting 6 degrees at idle and max 46, that's a 40 degree range.

Add that range to the more accurate BIOS reading would give actual of ~71 degrees at full load.

The CPU shouldn't throttle at that temperature.

Just to be sure you can play your game in windowed fullscreen mode, with CPU-Z running in the background. When your frames drop to 60-40, alt tab to look at CPU-Z's core speed and multiplier. If it dropped that means the CPU is throttling, and the OS temperature reading is way off.

Or it could also be your graphics card. If you have MSI Afterburner, run RTSS and set to display GPU temperature with the OSD in your game.