Help OC i7 4770K

I have an i7 4770K @3.5 and I'm wondering if there's any little thing I can do to make it run faster than it does. Maybe OC? Would I be able to OC a tad bit with the default cooler it has?
15 answers Last reply
More about 4770k
  1. With the stock cooler? There isn't much you can do with stock cooking with Haswell chips. I would recommend getting a quality aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock.
  2. slomo4sho said:
    With the stock cooler? There isn't much you can do with stock cooking with Haswell chips. I would recommend getting a quality aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock.


    For an i7 4770k, what's recommended to OC it to? and about how much would I have to spend on the cooler to OC the recommended on a 4770k
  3. Go into your bios and tell me what your vcore reading is. Also, what motherboard and case do you have?
  4. Zent said:
    slomo4sho said:
    With the stock cooler? There isn't much you can do with stock cooking with Haswell chips. I would recommend getting a quality aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock.


    For an i7 4770k, what's recommended to OC it to? and about how much would I have to spend on the cooler to OC the recommended on a 4770k


    I have the i5 4670K which is the sibling of the i7 4770K and OC's very much the same. I OC mine to 4.5 GHz with the Noctura NH D14 SE 2011. The fans are almost silent at full load! Highly recommended!
  5. Y0GI said:
    I have the i5 4670K which is the sibling of the i7 4770K and OC's very much the same. I OC mine to 4.5 GHz with the Noctura NH D14 SE 2011. The fans are almost silent at full load! Highly recommended!


    The 4770K requires higher voltage than 4670K due to hyperthreading and it runs hotter. A close looped water cooler will likely be necessary for anything over 4.5GHz for a 4770K
  6. slomo4sho said:
    Go into your bios and tell me what your vcore reading is. Also, what motherboard and case do you have?


    Under what section do you think the vcore will be at?

    I have a corsair 300r
    as rock z87 pro 4
  7. slomo4sho said:
    Go into your bios and tell me what your vcore reading is. Also, what motherboard and case do you have?


    Case: Corsair 300r
    MB:as rock z87 pro4

    vcore : +1.776V
    +12.00V :+12.144V
    + 5.00V: +5.136V
    + 3.30V: +3.12V
  8. Zent said:
    Under what section do you think the vcore will be at?


    ASRock bios actually does''t display this value. Load up CPUZ and tell me the voltage reading at load. Also, do you have a budget in mind for the CPU cooler?
  9. slomo4sho said:
    Zent said:
    Under what section do you think the vcore will be at?


    ASRock bios actually does''t display this value. Load up CPUZ and tell me the voltage reading at load. Also, do you have a budget in mind for the CPU cooler?


    Is this by anychance it? vcore : +1.776V
    +12.00V :+12.144V
    + 5.00V: +5.136V
    + 3.30V: +3.12V


    Got it from the BIOS and just something that'l do the job
  10. Zent said:
    Is this by anychance it? vcore : +1.776V


    That is too high to be vcore. It is actually the CPU Input voltage. Not sure why it is labeled as vcore... Check the vcore using cpuZ
  11. slomo4sho said:
    Zent said:
    Is this by anychance it? vcore : +1.776V


    That is too high to be vcore. It is actually the CPU Input voltage. Not sure why it is labeled as vcore... Check the vcore using cpuZ


    1.058 V is it called Core Voltage?
  12. Zent said:

    1.058 V is it called Core Voltage?


    It is... you seem to have a fairly decent chip and should be capable of hitting 4.5-4.7GHz with under 1.275V with a sufficient cooling solution.

    Pickup one of the following based on your budget:

    CPU Cooler: Zalman LQ-310 Liquid CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
  13. slomo4sho said:
    Zent said:

    1.058 V is it called Core Voltage?


    It is... you seem to have a fairly decent chip and should be capable of hitting 4.5-4.7GHz with acquitted overclocking under 1.275V.

    Pickup one of the following based on your budget:

    CPU Cooler: Zalman LQ-310 Liquid CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ NCIX US)

    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Microcenter)



    I'm assuming out of these 2 the most expensive one is the better one. What would I benefit in going with the $100 instead of the $40.
  14. Zent said:
    I'm assuming out of these 2 the most expensive one is the better one. What would I benefit in going with the $100 instead of the $40.


    Here is a review with benchmarks of both coolers:

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/NZXT-Kraken-X60-CPU-Cooler-Review/1721
Ask a new question

Read More

Default Overclocking Cooling Intel i7