Solved

Dual Cpus - Yes/No & With What

i am considering dual cpus for a music computer (music production), & am thinking about dual xeons (if i can run my software - can you run fl studio/cubase with xeons?) or dual e.g. i7-4770k's.

can someone give me some info on if i should do dual cpus for this, & if so, with what hardware?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dual cpus
  1. You can't run dual i7s to my knowledge, that circuitry is available for Xeons only, as far as Intel goes.
  2. can i run fl studio on a xeon operating computer?
  3. Best answer
    marty_mcfly said:
    can i run fl studio on a xeon operating computer?


    You can do anything you want on a Xeon powered computer, if you want to go workstation/dual CPU that would be the way to go. It would likely be overkill for music production though.
  4. Quote:
    You can do anything you want on a Xeon powered computer, if you want to go workstation/dual CPU that would be the way to go. It would likely be overkill for music production though.


    likely is the keyword there; i run some projects that fill up all 999 patterns & run a lot with a lot of effects simultaneously, i would like some long duration overkill before i have to buy again.

    thanks for you help tho, answered my questions so far.

    i guess what are the downsides to building a server computer & using it as a "workstation" - less plugs of this, disallowed thats - ?

    thanks again tho - i think i might go this route
  5. marty_mcfly said:


    likely is the keyword there; i run some projects that fill up all 999 patterns & run a lot with a lot of effects simultaneously, i would like some long duration overkill before i have to buy again.

    thanks for you help tho, answered my questions so far.

    i guess what are the downsides to building a server computer & using it as a "workstation" - less plugs of this, disallowed thats - ?

    thanks again tho - i think i might go this route


    The biggest downside is cost...other than that, I don't know of many downsides.
  6. alright, can you recommend some cpu / motherboard combos? i am looking at cpubenchmark.net & comparing 'value' values for the xeon processors, but ##hardware on IRC freenode says to avoid that site - how should i go about choosing some - is there a reliable benchmarking site somewhere?
  7. Not since the days of the Core2Extreme QX4770 Skulltrail platform has Intel had a multi-CPU solution for the consumer market. That's going back many a year...lol
  8. so what - an opeteron?
Ask a new question

Read More

Music CPUs Dual