Solved

Hd 7970 cooling

Hi everyone, noob here, if i was to get a second hd 7970, how would i cool it? For example woudnt the top card heat up the bottom card? which would overheat the card too much. Or is a normal fan going to do the trick?

And also can i buy a different card like a sappire instead of powercolor of the hd 7970?

Thanks in Advance

My specs are
hd 7970
core i5 4670k
msi z87 g41
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7970 cooling
  1. Best answer
    make sure your psu can handle 2 gpus

    i think heat isnt a big issue. as long as they don't burn its fine i guess. like 70-80 C would be max,
    depending on which model. totaly fine.

    using 2 hd 7970 from 2 brands isnt a problem. only the clock speed would be automaticly adjusted to the same level as the slower one. so no issue.
  2. Marcopolo123 said:
    make sure your psu can handle 2 gpus

    i think heat isnt a big issue. as long as they don't burn its fine i guess. like 70-80 C would be max,
    depending on which model. totaly fine.

    using 2 hd 7970 from 2 brands isnt a problem. only the clock speed would be automaticly adjusted to the same level as the slower one. so no issue.


    Thank you!

    I just checked my psu i have a corsair tx 750 v2, but i noticed it has only has one pci e connector but alot of 4 pin connectors laying around. I hope i will be using that to connect my hd 7970.

    Thanks again!
  3. zarif98 said:
    Marcopolo123 said:
    make sure your psu can handle 2 gpus

    i think heat isnt a big issue. as long as they don't burn its fine i guess. like 70-80 C would be max,
    depending on which model. totaly fine.

    using 2 hd 7970 from 2 brands isnt a problem. only the clock speed would be automaticly adjusted to the same level as the slower one. so no issue.


    Thank you!

    I just checked my psu i have a corsair tx 750 v2, but i noticed it has only has one pci e connector but alot of 4 pin connectors laying around. I hope i will be using that to connect my hd 7970.

    Thanks again!


    Hi - double check your connectors - the TX750 V2 has 4 pcie connectors, and it's
    not modular, so they gotta be there. And they are the 6+2 (8) pin variety.
    You will need all 4 to CF 2 - 7970's.
  4. toyftw said:
    zarif98 said:
    Marcopolo123 said:
    make sure your psu can handle 2 gpus

    i think heat isnt a big issue. as long as they don't burn its fine i guess. like 70-80 C would be max,
    depending on which model. totaly fine.

    using 2 hd 7970 from 2 brands isnt a problem. only the clock speed would be automaticly adjusted to the same level as the slower one. so no issue.


    Thank you!

    I just checked my psu i have a corsair tx 750 v2, but i noticed it has only has one pci e connector but alot of 4 pin connectors laying around. I hope i will be using that to connect my hd 7970.

    Thanks again!


    Hi - double check your connectors - the TX750 V2 has 4 pcie connectors, and it's
    not modular, so they gotta be there. And they are the 6+2 (8) pin variety.
    You will need all 4 to CF 2 - 7970's.


    Hi, thanks again, incredibly helpful people in tomshardware. I found it was tied up and was put it under my drive cages. Thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling HD Graphics