I know I should just get a PC, but I already have a PC. I need this for places I don't have my PC!
1. What is your budget?
This is the main concern. I am looking to spend $1,000-$2,000. If I go over the $1,000-$1,200 range I feel like I should just get something like a 780 and splurge.
The thing is, I am not entirely sure what will handle MMOs, currently FFXIV, on maximumish settings without much framerate loss. If I can do near that with a $1,000ish laptop, I'd like to spend around that.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'd like to do 17", if prices are too much I can do 15", though.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. It will be portable but I'll always have a power source and such.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not really an issue.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes. Primarily MMOs like WoW, FFXIV and any future ones that may be coming out in the next year or two. Also, things like LoL, D3, Path of Exile, etc. Basically anything non-shooter in the near future that is coming out. I'd like to play on high.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Streaming, but gaming is the primary.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not really needing too much. I feel like a SSD is a requirement for MMOs, though.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None. If possible, NCIX is preferred, but odds are it will be too expensive.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years? I don't know what is reasonable.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not really sure, I don't really know pricing. Blu-Ray would be nice, but as long as it's not too much extra.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference. I have heard/read a lot about clevo/sager and my friend is extremely happy with his Lenovo.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
*How would a $1,000 laptop or a $1,700~ laptop with a 780 perform compared to my desktop (XFX 5970, i7-930)
*Is Black Friday something worth waiting for if I can last? How much can I expect to save on the $1,000 or $1,700 price points?
I hope this can help people find their ideal notebook.
Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops?
This is why I prefer NCIX, although I understand it's not ideal. Free overnight shipping and basically overnight RMAs/returns/etc.
A 780m + 4700mq will be as fast as if not faster than your desktop. MMO's tend to require a strong CPU. What about custon brands such as Sager, Clevo, etc? They tend to offer the best bang for your buck though if you are in canada you may have problems sourcing them.