7850 Crossfire vs. 7950?

abigepicfail

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
I currently am running a single 7850 2gb graphics card in my system. I'm looking at upgrading, at first I was going to get another 7850 after the new frame pacing drivers were released but when I found out that the 7950 costs only a tiny bit more I'm not sure what to do. Any recommendations as to whether I should go 7850 crossfire or a single 7950?

Solution

Well thats what i thought, u will not be to have a stable crossfire with this PSU, you may even be able to boot your system.

you should know that Rosewill isnt the best PSU so you will have to buy a new one for sure if u want crossfire.

SO those are your options:

1st: CrossFire

Advantage :
* you will get better peformance by 20%~40% then a single 7950.

Dissadvantage :
* you will have to buy a new PSU with at least 750W due to AMD cpu witch uses alot of Watt and ofc for a stable crossfire.

2nd : Buying The HD 7950

Advantage:
* investing your money in a brand new...

abigepicfail

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

FX-6200 4.3ghz
16gb 1600mhz ram
Radeon 7850 2gb
Asrock 990fx extreme3

Some games I play arma 2, bf3, skyrim, gta 4, garrys mod just to name a few.

charmer

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Well thats what i thought, u will not be to have a stable crossfire with this PSU, you may even be able to boot your system.

you should know that Rosewill isnt the best PSU so you will have to buy a new one for sure if u want crossfire.

SO those are your options:

1st: CrossFire

Advantage :
* you will get better peformance by 20%~40% then a single 7950.

Dissadvantage :
* you will have to buy a new PSU with at least 750W due to AMD cpu witch uses alot of Watt and ofc for a stable crossfire.

2nd : Buying The HD 7950

Advantage:
* investing your money in a brand new gpu that will last and support all new games - comes with a double amount of stream Processors, an extra Gbyte of ram, has 384-bit (vs 256-bit with the 7850) with will have a Huge impact on future games.
* its very OCble so you can OC it in the future if you will need a better performance.
* will not need a new PSU
* will cost less then a new 7850 + new PSU and you can always sell the current one u have.

Dissadvantage:
* it will perform less then two 7850

Hope it helped Good Luck :)

Solution
get the 7950, dont waste your time with crossfire, too many problems, poor game support. some games do not support crossfire at all. some do but run anywhere from slightly better to slightly worse than with a single card. A few games run very well with crossfire with the new frame pacing driver, dx9 games, eyefinity and 4k are not supported by the frame pacing driver.