800 dollar video editing pc!

sympler

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Most likely sony vegas and ill be taking video from hd pvr 2

Shneiky

Distinguished
CPU - I5 4670K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899&Tpk=i5%204670k - $239.99

Motherboard - ASUS Z87-PLUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131980 - $159.99

GPU Asus made HD7750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121633 - $99.99

RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280 - $144.99

HDD - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840 - $69.99

PSU - SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 - $84.99

CASE - Cooler Master N300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119279 - $49.99

TOTAL: 850 without rebates, most items ship for free

Now why this build? I am going to assess this build with performance/price ratio in mind

CPU wise the I5 is the best option. I7 gives a better performance but does not justify the 100$ extra. And now I will explain why not to go with AMD. I will agree that the FX series CPUs are very good rendering CPUs but they are sluggish when it comes other aspects. I did not work much with Sony Vegas, I changed to Adobe Premier and After Effects, but what is true for PP and AE is also true for Sony Vegas. Before you go to render and let AMD stretch all it's muscles. you have to compose you video. And in your view port, a lot of the functions and algorithms are single/low count threaded. This is where the Intel's higher IPC comes into play. We have a lot of I5 and desktop I7 that are much snappier to work than the Xeons or I7 3930s because of the higher MHz and IPC of Haswell over Sandy Bridge-E and EP. Video playback, certain effects and many other small functions like clipping and moving are small instructions that require heavily on IPC and MHz. I have thrown around PP, AE, Maya around many systems, and I find the experience with Intel a lot more smooth than with the AMD FX series, although the FX sometimes render faster. 2nd thing why go with Intel is the RAM bandwidth. Programs like AE rely heavily on RAM and I have seen an I5 2500k with 24 gigs, smoking a 3930k with 16 gigs out of the water.

The motherboard I proposed received the Tom's Hardware approved award. Nothing much to say. I always pick up Asus boards instead of MSI, Biostar or things like that. The Asus are solid, thick PCB (thicker than Gigabyte, so that is why I avoid Gigabyte), and very good implementation and power design. ASrock is also a possibility, I use a lot of them and I like ASrock boards, but at this price and comparing Asus vs ASrock the Asus is a winner for me.

Sony Vegas uses OpenCL to accelerate features of its program. This is where the AMD 7750 comes into play. It's OpenCL performance is beating nVidia cards at twice the price. The problem with OpenCL Acceleration in Sony Vegas is diminishing returns. A GPU for 200 bucks is not going to give stellar improvement over one for 100. The difference won't be consistent with the price.

RAM - 16 GB 1600MHz Corsair. Not much to say here - Corsair are one of the best in the business, reliable and long lasting and this kit comes at a very good price.

I give you a Seagate Barracuda because all the Hitachi drives that I would have proffered were out of stock. Just 1 thing - avoid WD. Western Digital has lower quality HDD than Seagate and even lower than that of Hitachi. Many people swear by WD but that is just fanboyism. P.S I have few of this Seagate drives and they have been running without hiccups for 3 years.

The PSU is 550W which is a bit too much for your system but it allows you great upgradeability in the future. Seasonic is not cheap, and certainly there are cheaper options, but there are 2 things you should never go cheap on - PSU and a motherboard. Better pay 20$ more than to replace half a system later.

The case is a Cooler Master N300. Of course they are shinier and more feature packed cases for a better price out there, but the N300 insides is derived from the famous HAF series and those are the best price/performance cases out there. If you wish you can replace the case with something that is more aesthetically appealing to you, just make sure it does provide sufficient airflow.

This configuration will bring you solid performance. And if you are not from the 60+ on Ultra freaks you can play almost anything with decent graphics. Of course some titles will require lowering details.

SSD is a great way to improve performance. Rendering to an SSD will sometimes decrease render times more than a more powerful CPU/GPU. Since it's a waste to go anything lower than I5 to sacrifice for an SSD, consider this as a future upgrade that is a must.

Two things I wish to point out:
1- This build is using the stock CPU cooler. I suggest you wait for a month or so and gather up 30 bucks for a Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo. The I5 will be just fine with the stock cooler if you don't overclock and if your case has an intake/exhaust fan. But if you live somewhere where it's very hot in the summer, then replacing the CPU cooler is highly recommended.

2 - New AMD GPUs are coming out in half a month. This will reduce the prices of the existing 7000 series while they are being phased out and will also bring new cards that may offer better performance for the same price. If you don't need the build exactly NOW, you can wait few weeks. Or you can buy the rest of the system and run on the integrated video for a while.

That's all. Good luck.

Shneiky

Distinguished
Fopa5 do you do video editing? I mean seriously? I guess you never did something serious. Or you just took a gaming PC and put more money in CPU instead of GPU?

Generally, only nVidia have CUDA cores. The thing is Sony Vegas uses OpenCL which is run on both nVidia and AMD GPUs. The thing is that the HD 7750 beats the GTX 650 Ti in OpenCL with anywhere from 50% to 300% for 2/3 of the price.

As I said before, WD is lowest quality HDDs. Avoid them. Specially the Blue line which is painfully slow. Transfering or reading/writing from and to that HDD is going to be a pain. Video editing deals with huge files and speed is important here. The WD Blue is simply not a hard drive for this type of machine. It is good that you included an SDD, but you never put your working files on the same SDD as your operating system. Temp files, renders and just the size and number of working files will eat that SDDs life in under an year if the PC is under moderate usage.

I do agree on the case though. I am a die hard fan of the Cooler Master HAF 912(but mine is + and i prefer the black interior). Best price/performance a case ever had. Although aesthetics are a personal thing.

8 GB of RAM? Is this a gaming PC or a video editing work station? 16GB is the bare minimum for video editing. I never recommend anything under 24 GB. I mean, heck, I barely survive with 24 GB.

I am a fan of ASrock, been using them for the past years. The computer I am behind now is build on ASrock. But ASrock doesn't win with that board. I would not put an I7 and let in render for 24/7 in that board. The mosfets and capacitors will die in few years.

XFX PSUs are prone to problems. I have seen computers blow by them. I seen them failing after just few months. Very unreliable brand. And as I already pointed out, you never go el-cheapo on PSU and motherboard. They can take your whole system out.

As for the i5 vs i7
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/837?vs=836

The I7 is not really worth it over I5 when you are on a budges. Sure, hyperthreading does make encoding and rendering faster, but hyperthreading only does it by what? 20%? And also the difference between an I5 and an I7 won't be humanly noticeable in view port or your project preview.

TRENDING THREADS