802.11g/n/b/a/ac Which one for my situation?

Hanjohnbono

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hello Tomshardware, I am quite ignorant when it comes to wireless networking, so I have come to ask you guys for some help. I am wondering whether I should buy a new router for my family since we have added a lot of new laptops, that are streaming Netflix or videos constantly. I have read about 802.11ac which is the newest type of 802.11, but it says that laptops will still use 802.11n or something like that. The majority of laptops we have in the household are Windows 8 2013 models, with the exception of a Toshiba 2010 model that my little sister uses. My question: Is buying a router with 802.11ac worth it for my situation, or should I buy a router that uses 802.11n. My other question is: Is there a speed difference between a 802.11ac Wireless connection and a direct ethernet connection?

Solution
right now none of your computers support the AC wireless network standard.

However, since the prices for a good Dual-Band N-router and AC-router are about the same, i would buy an AC-router like the Netgear R6300.

A ethernet connection will always be the more reliable connection because it does not suffer from signal fluctuation and signal interference from other devices.

When setting up the wireless make sure you use WPA2 and a strong wireless password like !!P4ssw0rd@@

Disable WPS if the router comes with it since pushing the WPS button on the router will reset you wireless setting.
right now none of your computers support the AC wireless network standard.

However, since the prices for a good Dual-Band N-router and AC-router are about the same, i would buy an AC-router like the Netgear R6300.

A ethernet connection will always be the more reliable connection because it does not suffer from signal fluctuation and signal interference from other devices.

When setting up the wireless make sure you use WPA2 and a strong wireless password like !!P4ssw0rd@@

Disable WPS if the router comes with it since pushing the WPS button on the router will reset you wireless setting.

Solution

Hanjohnbono

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

Thank you for your answer. I have another question: We currently have a WNR2000 N300 Netgear Router, would we see a speed difference if we bought this one ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580? Thank you

MartinWilson

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
When you say 'steaming videos' - do you mean over the Internet? If so, Wireless AC won't make a difference over what you already have. But if you intend the stream HD within the home over wireless, I would recommend Wireless AC. Wireless AC can give throughput speeds over 300Mbps, whereas Wireless N gives around just over 100Mbps.

A direct Ethernet connection gives around 75Mbps throughput on 100Mbps ports, and several hundred Mbps on Gigabit Ethernet ports, but the limitation will likely be your hardware devices rather than the technology.

To be honest, if what you have ain't broke, then don't fix it. But if you have to upgrade, I would pay a little extra and go for an AC router:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122466

http://bestwirelessroutersnow.com/asus-rt-ac66u-review/

Hanjohnbono

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Thank you for all the help everyone, I appreciate it a lot! I will most likely end up getting the ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U) since it is nicely priced and comes with AiRadar. I might put in the money towards an AC router, such as the ASUS one recommened by MartWilson. I say this because my big sister uses a MacBook Pro and I have read that Macs can take advantage of AC, and she tends to watch HD Videos, while complaining that the internet is not working for her. If you guys object anything about this decision of buying the RT-N56U router, then please let me know, because that would help out a lot. Again, thank you all!