Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Seasonic 860w PSU won't fit into Dell XPS 420 case(the metal clamp won't fit over it)

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
October 1, 2013 8:02:19 AM

Hi! My first time building computer. I am trying to upgrade my dell XPS 420 power supply with a brand new 860w Seasonic PSU.

The problem is that at the connector ends(where the wires are), the computer case of XPS 420 has a raised half circular metal clamp to secure the power supply. The new PSU length goes past this. The metal clamp circular part is pressing against the new PSU.


I am not sure if the metal circular clamp is suppose to be pressing against the new psu. Will this cause any damage?

More about : seasonic 860w psu fit dell xps 420 case metal clamp fit

a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2013 8:07:49 AM

No it will be ok, just make sure your PSU is attached sturdy and maybe or maybe not the clamp could pass on vibrations which could make some aditional noise.

Hence the sturdy positioning of the PSU.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 1, 2013 8:10:36 AM

Dell make their cases fit only their PSU's. I had a similar problem. I only managed to get TWO screws in and the back was kind of saggy, but it worked. Until I decided to upgrade my friends computer of course, then the PSU went straight into a Rosewill Redbone.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 1217 ) Power supply
October 1, 2013 9:16:05 AM

The chassis mounting tab is only used for OEM specific PSUs. Even the chassis PSU latch won't necessarily work with a replacement PSU especially if the length of the new PSU is greater than the original OEM PSU's length.

Your Seasonic PSU won't have a corresponding mounting slot for that mounting tab.

Are you worried about the paint finish on the new PSU being scratched? You can bend the mounting tab away from the PSU so that it doesn't do that.
Share
October 1, 2013 9:23:18 AM

Heironious said:
Dell make their cases fit only their PSU's. I had a similar problem. I only managed to get TWO screws in and the back was kind of saggy, but it worked. Until I decided to upgrade my friends computer of course, then the PSU went straight into a Rosewill Redbone.




Why does Dell make their case like that? It prevents me and others from upgrading computer components. I am guessing the half circular metal clamp wasn't an issue for you. Thanks for info.
m
0
l
October 1, 2013 9:30:33 AM

ko888 said:
The chassis mounting tab is only used for OEM specific PSUs. Even the chassis PSU latch won't necessarily work with a replacement PSU especially if the length of the new PSU is greater than the original OEM PSU's length.

Your Seasonic PSU won't have a corresponding mounting slot for that mounting tab.

Are you worried about the paint finish on the new PSU being scratched? You can bend the mounting tab away from the PSU so that it doesn't do that.


Thank you!This is what i am looking for.

It not the paint i am worry about, i am worry about a dent, or the powersupply not seated correctly due to the mounting clamp pressing against it. The screws for PSU could be affected.

So this PSU mounting tab - do i bend it "inward" away from the PSU? That would requires a bit of force. Maybe cutting it?
m
0
l
a c 1217 ) Power supply
October 1, 2013 9:55:54 AM

icebuyer said:
Thank you!This is what i am looking for.

It not the paint i am worry about, i am worry about a dent, or the powersupply not seated correctly due to the mounting clamp pressing against it. The screws for PSU could be affected.

So this PSU mounting tab - do i bend it "inward" away from the PSU? That would requires a bit of force. Maybe cutting it?


If you're looking at it from the interior of the chassis you would push down on the mounting tab with enough force to bend it away from the side of the PSU. If you want to cut the tab off you can do that too but why bother.
m
0
l
!