Need a new Graphics card but should I wait for othe R9 series?
I need to upgrade my GPU from a MSI 275 GTX OC for BF4.
Should I wait a few weeks for the R9's to come out or just buy a 7870 for now and wait for the prices to drop? Will it only be reference cards for the first six months or so? Don't want to spend all that cash only to have a faster R9 290X come at a few months later with more ram and faster clock speeds. Not to mention greater overclocking ability. I really should be saving my cash at the moment but if the new R9's are really that fast are they really worth the $700 round about price tag their hinting at? Any suggestions?
My Build info: CPU Intel i7-2600k $240 GPU MSI 275 GTX OC Twin Frozr MOBO ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 RAM Rip Jaws 16g DDR3 1866Mhz SSD 240g OCZ
Last replyBest Answer
More aboutgraphics card wait othe series
Either way, you should wait for the R9 series to come out. You never know, they might be fast, they might be good, but if not. Then at least you can still buy your 7870 by then. Not to mention, with a lower price tag.
I would wait. The 7870 isnt the greatest card, I would get the 7950 if you dont wait. If you do the R9-270 80 or 90 will perform better. The aftermarket coolers should be out within the end of the year. They are also hinting at 599 for the R9-290. And 300 for the 280.
Same thing with me, I was interested about the HD 7870, but I'm waiting, at least until the benchmarks come out.
wait out til the new hawaii series comes out then buy. usually prices will drop in anticipation or after a new release
I dont know if you're interested in nvidia gpu's at all, but their prices in the 150-260 range are supposed to drop with the release of the r9 and r7 and cards.
also, when the new cards are released, there will probably be non reference designs, but not really any special factory overclocks. All speculation though of course.
I have always had Nvidia cards but BF4 will be optimised for "Mantle", I know nothing is proven at this point but BF4 has been tweaked for Radeon.
Even so, AMD may be the better choice right now. Now be sure you see that, right now. Im not saying one is better than the other but a next gen AMD card is going to be a fairly lucrative buy compared to nvidia.
The hardest part is I have 5 weeks off work starting Monday and I am very very impatient.
If you really want to, you can get the 7950 or 7970 if you really cant wait. I would highly recommend holding out however.
I have to hold aarrrrgghhhhh!!!!
I have found this, not too sure how reliable this is;