i5 3470 vs i5 4670

ranrubin1

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
im gonna buy computer for gaming

Intel Core i5 4670 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz Turbo) LGA1150 Tray (non-k)
vs

Intel Quad-Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz 6MB Tray

Solution
Between the two, there is a 16% performance difference. There is also a 15% price difference (looking at Newegg).

One thing that you have to consider is that you're not comparing the same product level. You're comparing the top Haswell i5 to the mid range Ivy i5.

Now it's up to you whether you want to pay abit more and get abit better speeds, along with future proofing (assuming Intel uses the LGA 1150 socket again), or pay abit less, and get abit less performance.

Personally, I would go with Haswell, as it's the newer architecture, along with it being more future proof. Also, the low power capabilities of Haswell can be useful if you live somewhere where electricity is expensive.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Just curious why you are comparing a mid-range Ivy Bridge i5 and the top Haswell i5?

Really, you should be comparing the 3570 and 4670 if you want to compare apple to apples.

As the others have already said, the 4670 is faster but more expensive. Between the 3570 and 4670, the price difference isn't much but the 4670 is still the faster/better part.

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Between the two, there is a 16% performance difference. There is also a 15% price difference (looking at Newegg).

One thing that you have to consider is that you're not comparing the same product level. You're comparing the top Haswell i5 to the mid range Ivy i5.

Now it's up to you whether you want to pay abit more and get abit better speeds, along with future proofing (assuming Intel uses the LGA 1150 socket again), or pay abit less, and get abit less performance.

Personally, I would go with Haswell, as it's the newer architecture, along with it being more future proof. Also, the low power capabilities of Haswell can be useful if you live somewhere where electricity is expensive.

Solution