Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Do I Need to Uninstall my Graphics Card Driver Before Putting in a New One?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 2, 2013 3:43:20 PM

Hi, all! So, i just recently purchased a new graphics card and I've been doing some reading about how to put in the new one. Some guides that I've checked suggest uninstalling the old graphics driver.

So, that's what I've been trying to do. I tried uninstalling my intel hd graphics driver. Except, the first time I attempted to uninstall it, my computer screen went black, then it said there was an error. It sort of restarted and took me back to my desktop. (Everything is completely normal still) However, I checked and the driver was still there. I tried uninstalling it again, and it sort of looks like it's gone now. However, on my desktop, the icon that sends you to the options part of the intel hd graphics card is still there. So, i feel like my computer still has the graphics card driver installed.

Should i just leave it alone and replace it with the new one? Or should i continue to try and uninstall the old graphics card?

Please and thanks for the help! this is my first upgrade to a computer ever. So i'm pretty new to this.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2013 3:45:35 PM

You don't need to uninstall the Intel graphics, but if you are moving from AMD to Nvidia, or the other way around, its best to clear everything.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2013 3:47:59 PM

If you're having any issues, un-install the old driver and re-install the new one.
Related resources
October 2, 2013 4:21:13 PM

cookybiscuit said:
You don't need to uninstall the Intel graphics, but if you are moving from AMD to Nvidia, or the other way around, its best to clear everything.


yeah. Im going from Intel to amd.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2013 4:33:51 PM

mr kitty said:
cookybiscuit said:
You don't need to uninstall the Intel graphics, but if you are moving from AMD to Nvidia, or the other way around, its best to clear everything.


yeah. Im going from Intel to amd.


I'd just go the safe route, and un-install old and re-install new ones.
October 2, 2013 4:52:38 PM

shadow32 said:
If you're having any issues, un-install the old driver and re-install the new one.


You mean If im having issues after putting in the new card?
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2013 4:55:17 PM

mr kitty said:
shadow32 said:
If you're having any issues, un-install the old driver and re-install the new one.


You mean If im having issues after putting in the new card?


Yes. and in your post you said you see the icon, if the drivers are un-installed, then go to your control panel and uninstall any left over software from the drivers.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2013 5:22:25 PM

mr kitty said:
cookybiscuit said:
You don't need to uninstall the Intel graphics, but if you are moving from AMD to Nvidia, or the other way around, its best to clear everything.


yeah. Im going from Intel to amd.

Intel to AMD processor, or you mean you were running of integrated and bought an AMD GPU? If you are just adding a dedicated card you don't need to mess with the Intel stuff.
October 2, 2013 9:37:08 PM

cookybiscuit said:
mr kitty said:
cookybiscuit said:
You don't need to uninstall the Intel graphics, but if you are moving from AMD to Nvidia, or the other way around, its best to clear everything.


yeah. Im going from Intel to amd.

Intel to AMD processor, or you mean you were running of integrated and bought an AMD GPU? If you are just adding a dedicated card you don't need to mess with the Intel stuff.


This is the exact computer i bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I haven't done any upgrading or even opened it up since I've had it.
If you look under the details tab in the link i sent you it tells you about the graphics.
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type: Intel HD Graphics 2500
Graphics Interface:Integrated video

(sorry i'm kinda bad with computers)

although, in my control panel, under "programs and features" there is a program that says "intel HD Graphics Driver"
unless, however, that already comes with even if it's an integrated graphics card?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2013 4:39:14 AM
Share

mr kitty said:
cookybiscuit said:
mr kitty said:
cookybiscuit said:
You don't need to uninstall the Intel graphics, but if you are moving from AMD to Nvidia, or the other way around, its best to clear everything.


yeah. Im going from Intel to amd.

Intel to AMD processor, or you mean you were running of integrated and bought an AMD GPU? If you are just adding a dedicated card you don't need to mess with the Intel stuff.


This is the exact computer i bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I haven't done any upgrading or even opened it up since I've had it.
If you look under the details tab in the link i sent you it tells you about the graphics.
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type: Intel HD Graphics 2500
Graphics Interface:Integrated video

(sorry i'm kinda bad with computers)

although, in my control panel, under "programs and features" there is a program that says "intel HD Graphics Driver"
unless, however, that already comes with even if it's an integrated graphics card?


That is integrated graphics. You don't need to uninstall that.
!