Best possible $2600 gaming PC USD

acfxgaming

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
hey, i live in the US, and looking to build my gaming pc. I have the cash, i just want to make sure i am getting the best i can for the dollar. i will link my build below. Feel free to criticize my build and suggest new ones. I am going to be running (eventually) a 3-monitor setup, and i want my rig to last a few years. On top of gaming, i will also be doing heavy amounts of video editing, along with other heavy-threaded processes. The build must include everything from monitor and OS to gaming keyboard/mouse. Thanks for the feedback!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1JSin

Solution
Only suggestions I would make would be to go with the Dual-X versions of those cards (they overclock to the same specs, if not higher, while being $80 cheaper each), and take that extra cash to get faster RAM (2133 CL10 maybe?) and a 120GB 840 EVO SSD, as well as maybe a nicer case, unless you are deadset on that one, I would suggest the Corsair 750D.

festerovic

Distinguished
I was going to say ditch the i7 and get the i5, but you will actually make use of it with video apps. I didn't see an SSD on the list, you should at least get a 120 gig to boot from. It won't help games so much but it will speed up the PC overall more than almost any single part.

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Only suggestions I would make would be to go with the Dual-X versions of those cards (they overclock to the same specs, if not higher, while being $80 cheaper each), and take that extra cash to get faster RAM (2133 CL10 maybe?) and a 120GB 840 EVO SSD, as well as maybe a nicer case, unless you are deadset on that one, I would suggest the Corsair 750D.

Solution

acfxgaming

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

where would i find one? and who makes the card?

acfxgaming

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

so you suggest grabbing a pair of these and using the savings for SSD, a bigger case and faster RAM? will i really save that much?

acfxgaming

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

and are you aware of the cooling ability of this particular card? i know the vapor-x is supposed to have very exceptional cooling, i am not sure about this one though.

festerovic

Distinguished
acfgxgaming - both of the Sapphire cards you guys have linked are the Dual-X versions. The difference is that the original parts are the Ghz edition of the card, and the ones Drew is linking are the plain 7970 (boost is a feature, not relative to the clock speeds). Essentially they are the same card, one of them being factory overclocked. They will both probably hit the same speeds, so in reality, you may as well get the cheaper ones. $300 is pretty good for those cards. Sapphire is trying to get rid of inventory i think, they have been blowing out 7950s and 7970s for the past month on newegg.

edit- actually the first one was a vapor-x cooler, you are right it is more robust. I have a HIS 7950 boost that I OC on the stock cooler to 1100mhz without a problem, and they are pretty much the same cards. If you want to OC the living hell out of the cards, you will need the vapor-x versions. If you want a reasonable 100mhz OC, you can get the cheaper cards. You might pay 20% more for the vaporx, but I doubt you will get 20% more performance.

festerovic

Distinguished
i cant comment on the case. Re: overclocking - its so easy a caveman could do it. Its built in to the catalyst drivers... You just move a slider to a reasonable estimate and do some benchmarking to see if its good. There are alot of posts on how to OC via CCC for the 7970. I am 99% sure you will be able to OC the stock 7970 another 100mhz... thats like nothing.