HD 7750 or HD 7790 - (Possibly) save money or be future proof?

SDTG

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you to help me make a decision. I want to buy a new gpu - so here are my thoughts and questions:

Current system:
- Motherboard: ASROCK B75M-DGS (LGA1155)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157362& Tpk=asrock%20b75m%20dgs
- CPU: Intel i3 3220 3,3 GHZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775
- Memory: Kingmax KIT 8GB ddr3 1333MHZ
- GPU: Gigabyte GT630 2GB DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125425
- PSU: HKC 3011NS 400w case -> HKC SZ420R 420W (max. 15A on the 12V rail)

What the PC will be used for: mostly gaming.
Aim: Battlefield 4 - at least low-mid, 45-50 FPS+ (resolution doesn't really matter to me)
Well, in the beta (32 players map) I'm having around 40 FPS right now, but the quality is quite "crispy".

(Possibly) saving money or better performance and being "future-proof":
- HD 7750 or GTX 650
- HD 7790 or GTX 650 Ti + Corsair CX500

My questions:
1. Would my PSU be able to handle the HD7750? I've read a few times on these forums that this GPU doesn't consume much power. In this case I won't be able to upgrade my PC any further without replacing the PSU, I know.
2. For the HD 7790 or GTX 650 Ti I have to buy a new PSU - Is the Corsair CX500 (68,1 USD here) a decent choice? (+ If I bought a 4 cores CPU later? Will it be enough?)
3. Could you recommend me a cheaper PSU? (Which is around 45 usd here. Just give me ideas, I will compare the price differences between the countries :))
4. Is the price difference (115 USD if I don't need a new PSU for the HD 7750.) : only HD7750/GTX650 or HD7790/GTX650 Ti + new PSU worth it regarding the performance? Or do you have any other GPU recommendations?
5. If you were me, which one would you buy: HD or GTX? (I've seen benchmarks showing that they are quite similar regarding performance.)

I live in Central Europe and unfortunately can't order PC parts from abroad.
Not planning to overclock anything.
Monitor: 1600*900 but for gaming I usually use lower res.
I would like to buy the GPU before nov. 1.

Thanks four your help in advance!

Solution
Come on man, both those cards (7750 & 630) don't need any excessive power other than what the PCIe slot is providing..... If the PSU is powering the rig... means it has ample power for the stuff you put into the Slots , as long as the peripherals don't need additional power.
You can't sit and compare PSUs being able to power stuff that doesn't need power.... can you?

Ok... Let me make it simple... or try to atleast.
Ans1. Yes, your PSU will handle the 7750.
Ans2. The CX500 will do if you plan to go for an Intel quad core or quad thread later...... but for the AMD way it would be cutting the power requirements too close....
Ans3. Couldn't recommend a cheaper PSU than the one you've already found.... the comparison if value for money and...
I think you need to rethink your route.....esp the PSU..... a cheap PSU is usually not a good option. A proper certified PSU is worth it's money since it literally has the power to fry or let live the other components in your rig.
"Future Proof"...... I love that phrase..... future in this world is like 2 weeks away..... haven't you heard... the future is now....
The 7750 ought to be fine....since it needs no excess power.

The rest is all fine.... since you are on a budget and saving now might help you in the future to make your rig eons proof....

SDTG

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I was told that my GT630 2GB DDR3 needs more power than the HD7750 (Let's say this Sapphire one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969). If that's true, my crappy PSU should be enough.
I could compare the HD7750 and the GT640 2GB DDRR3 here: http://www.hwcompare.com/12822/geforce-gt-640-ddr3-vs-radeon-hd-7750/
It says the same what I was told, assuming the GT630 has similar consumption compared to the GT630.

Come on man, both those cards (7750 & 630) don't need any excessive power other than what the PCIe slot is providing..... If the PSU is powering the rig... means it has ample power for the stuff you put into the Slots , as long as the peripherals don't need additional power.
You can't sit and compare PSUs being able to power stuff that doesn't need power.... can you?

Ok... Let me make it simple... or try to atleast.
Ans1. Yes, your PSU will handle the 7750.
Ans2. The CX500 will do if you plan to go for an Intel quad core or quad thread later...... but for the AMD way it would be cutting the power requirements too close....
Ans3. Couldn't recommend a cheaper PSU than the one you've already found.... the comparison if value for money and that is the bottom line.
Ans4. For that price and the roadmap of upgrades.... I think you've already chosen the best path.
Ans5. Purely dependent on Applications which you use, the other stuff that you plan to do with the GPU and about 60% dependent on, to which camp you belong to..., Green or Red.... :) Personally I'd go for Red.

Solution

SDTG

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Thank you for the answers! Everything I know about PSUs has been gathered from the web in the recent few days, that's why I tend to be noobish.

Maybe I misunderstood something regarding the power consumption of the GPUs. I have seen a few times being this answer the "solution" to a question: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1731536/psu-handle-amd-radeon-7750-1gb.html (From the same forum user.)
And well, this makes sense to me: despite the fact that I don't have to connect my GPU to my PSU, different GPUs can demand different amount of power through the PCIe slot/motherboard. That's why I thought, I can compare them.

Sorry if I didn't understand you properly, but English is not my mothertongue.

That is really low for a 400W power supply. My 250W Bestec power supply has 14a on the 12V rail, and Bestec make some of the worst power supplies out there.

15*12=180, so you have 180W of 12V power, and thats on a good day. Lets guess you have closer to 150W. The i3 takes up 55W at max TDP, so in theory it would work, but I would recommend against it. That means you have 95W for everything else. A 7750 takes about 45W on max load.

SDTG

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
For those who might read it in the future:

I have been convinced to buy a better PSU, which will be either a/an
- FSP 60APN 400w
- Chieftec GPS 400 A8 400w
(They are in my budget range and said to have decent quality.)

I decided to choose alyoshka's answer as the solution because he gave me the most detailed answers.

Thank you everyone for your help!

TRENDING THREADS