Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Problem to connect a new graphic card to the PC power supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 3, 2013 9:57:14 AM

Hi I buy a new Graphic card for my PC, but the problem is I need 2 power supply connector for my 6 pin cable and my PC have only one. The GC is working but with only one connector plugged, not the two white connector. How can I fix that or add a second connector from my power supply???

Best solution

a c 1410 U Graphics card
October 3, 2013 10:03:15 AM

You can use a Molex 4pin to PCIe power adapter but really we need to know the hardware, card, PSU, make model and so on.
Share
October 3, 2013 10:12:10 AM

rolli59 said:
You can use a Molex 4pin to PCIe power adapter but really we need to know the hardware, card, PSU, make model and so on.


AMD Quad-Core FX-4130 processor
3.80GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
1TB SATA hard drive
500 w PSU
24x DVD+/-R/RW drive
10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
The New Card is MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti boost 2Gb
m
0
l
Related resources
October 3, 2013 10:38:00 AM

rolli59 said:
What is the make model of the PSU? 500watts exceeds the recommended requirement.
Molex adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If you only need 6 pin http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Rolli I have the adapter(Model AD201 7 7/8" 12v Molex to 12V 6Pin Adapter M-F) this it coming with the card, but on my PSU I have only one connector VS the two that coming in the adapter, and is suppose I have to had 2 connectors on the PSU for 2 connectors on the adapter to convert in 6 pin, and I have only one that comes out the PSU. The requirement for the GPU is 450w or more because is the overclocked edition.
m
0
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
October 3, 2013 10:43:34 AM

So if I understand you right, you are using the adapter that came with the card, you only had one free molex but the adapter has plugs for two, the card works fine with only one molex feeding it and the 6pin connected to the card. You should be fine then but I would double check the PSU cables though since modern 500watt units have at least 1 if not two PCIe power connection cables on them.
You still have not told me the make model of PSU.
m
0
l
October 3, 2013 10:46:24 AM

You'll need a Molex splitter so you can use the 1 Molex pin from your PSU to split it to feed the adapter for the GPU.
m
0
l
October 3, 2013 10:52:49 AM

rolli59 said:
What is the make model of the PSU? 500watts exceeds the recommended requirement.
Molex adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If you only need 6 pin http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


rolli59 said:
So if I understand you right, you are using the adapter that came with the card, you only had one free molex but the adapter has plugs for two, the card works fine with only one molex feeding it and the 6pin connected to the card. You should be fine then but I would double check the PSU cables though since modern 500watt units have at least 1 if not two PCIe power connection cables on them.
You still have not told me the make model of PSU.


Oh sorry I mess, I am not sure but I think is Collermaster

m
0
l
October 3, 2013 11:04:04 AM

rolli59 said:
So if I understand you right, you are using the adapter that came with the card, you only had one free molex but the adapter has plugs for two, the card works fine with only one molex feeding it and the 6pin connected to the card. You should be fine then but I would double check the PSU cables though since modern 500watt units have at least 1 if not two PCIe power connection cables on them.
You still have not told me the make model of PSU.

That's correct that's my problem

m
0
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
October 3, 2013 12:05:59 PM

So what is the problem card takes one 6 pin PCIe power the PSU has one PCIe power, to me that fits and why are we mixing the adapter into this?
m
0
l
October 3, 2013 12:19:54 PM

rolli59 said:
So what is the problem card takes one 6 pin PCIe power the PSU has one PCIe power, to me that fits and why are we mixing the adapter into this?

You don't understand. GPU have adapter 6pin to 2 x 3pin and I have only one 4 female PCi from the PSU. So if have only one PCi from the PSU will have one of 2 3pin from the GPU unplugged
m
0
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
October 3, 2013 12:35:40 PM

You mean Molex 4 pin? If that is what goes in the adapter then in most cases plugging one in is enough, you will know since if it is not enough then the card will not work.
m
0
l
October 4, 2013 3:35:10 PM

rolli59 said:
You mean Molex 4 pin? If that is what goes in the adapter then in most cases plugging one in is enough, you will know since if it is not enough then the card will not work.

Hi rolli is me again after test the Video Card using only one connector it start to give me problem when the game is running fro a few minutes the image turn off like the GPU stop working and then I have to restart the PC for getting imagine and everythings, So I think that absolutely need the other connector ready, But my question is Can I use the recommendation before that use and Molex Spliter for use the only one 4 pin female connection to my PSU with the 6 pin x 2 male 3pin adapter from the video card?
m
0
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
October 4, 2013 3:43:32 PM

Yes the molex splitter should work feeding all the wires in the adapter.
m
0
l
October 4, 2013 4:13:17 PM

rolli59 said:
Yes the molex splitter should work feeding all the wires in the adapter.

Ok thanks I will try to buy online cause no in Tiger direct storage.

m
0
l
October 16, 2013 7:35:10 AM

rolli59 said:
Yes the molex splitter should work feeding all the wires in the adapter.


Thank you so mush rolli the problem it is fixed with the molex splitter. Now I can play BF3 in ultra w/out any problem.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 7:37:09 AM

Qualtric said:
You'll need a Molex splitter so you can use the 1 Molex pin from your PSU to split it to feed the adapter for the GPU.


Thank you so mush Qualtric the problem it is fixed with the molex splitter. Now I can play BF3 in ultra w/out any problem.
m
0
l
!