Solved

Choosing a case and cooler...for a very high end PC - Give suggestions

Hello guys,
I have been planning a long time for my PC upgrade this winter. Now i really came down to choosing cooling and cases.

Here is my build:
MB: Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula
CPU: Intel i7-4930K 6-core @ 3.4 GHz
GPU:EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Classified w/ ACX Cooler OR MSI Geforce GTX 780 Lightning
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) 1866 MHz
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB
Cooler: H100i OR Phanteks PH-TC14PE ???
PSU: Corsair AX 760W
Case: ???

Ok, I am planning to overclock my CPU at somewhere around 4.4 - 4.5 GHz and as well as my GPU (which looks like it will be the component which will actually heat the most). I see that this high end Air Cooler (Phanteks) can do me a great job, but it just looks huge and will take lots of space. I know you might also recommend Noctua air cooler too, but again...huge. However with that Closed Loop Liquid Cooler from Corsair (H100i) has it's own drawbacks too - I am most afraid of leaks since in closed loops, it might not be as easy to spot if there is a leak or not. I also heard that Corsair has a warranty of 5 years and policy to cover and replace damaged components. So, is that worldwide?

Moving on to the cases - I have been looking at 4 cases lately - Storm Scout 2, HAF 922, HAF XM and Obsidian 750D. Now I am really trying to avoid getting Full Towers. Mid-tower i think is more than enough. I am looking at a case which has good air flow, even though my CPU will probably be on liquid cooling, but it's the GPU i am looking for to take those crazy high temps down and out of my case.

So what do you guys suggest?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choosing case cooler high end give suggestions
  1. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $239.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-03 13:43 EDT-0400)


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3UCzhjTOYE
  2. haf XM/ obsidian 750D are great, depends on your taste.

    NO for storm scout 2

    I personally don't like the HAF 922, the other cases are better!

    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($100.06 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $190.05
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-03 13:38 EDT-0400)


    Sorry
    The storm scout 2 CANNOT fit a 240mm radiator on top.
  3. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1654474/modification-advise-storm-scout.html
    here's a reference
    sorry for the double post, i messed up
  4. I had the wrong case picked on partpicker , I switched it to the HAF X.
  5. HAF X is a Full tower case...As i said, I am trying to avoid full towers...
  6. Whiteskymage said:
    HAF X is a Full tower case...As i said, I am trying to avoid full towers...


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg
    Watch 20:30 he successfully puts a 240 rad into the storm scout 2. But its completely exposed.

    If you want the rugged look then HAFXM looks awesome,
    or if you want the polished and elegant look go for the 750D.
    Your present choices are great.

    I guess you chose scout 2 for the ability to easily carry it. If so, you could have a look at the corsair vengeance C70 too
  7. rattlehead2112 said:
    Whiteskymage said:
    HAF X is a Full tower case...As i said, I am trying to avoid full towers...


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg
    Watch 20:30 he successfully puts a 240 rad into the storm scout 2. But its completely exposed.

    If you want the rugged look then HAFXM looks awesome,
    or if you want the polished and elegant look go for the 750D.
    Your present choices are great.

    I guess you chose scout 2 for the ability to easily carry it. If so, you could have a look at the corsair vengeance C70 too


    Well, not really for carrying it, it's cuz of the price is low and I saw the same video u just posted me that the H100i can be mounted on it. Also, because a lot of gaming PCs actually use this case and I heard it is for "mobile gamer" or something like that.
    However if not the Storm Scout 2, then HAF XM really looks nice to me.
  8. Whiteskymage said:

    Well, not really for carrying it, it's cuz of the price is low and I saw the same video u just posted me that the H100i can be mounted on it. Also, because a lot of gaming PCs actually use this case and I heard it is for "mobile gamer" or something like that.
    However if not the Storm Scout 2, then HAF XM really looks nice to me.


    Well, you could have a look at the CM HAF XB also if you really want mobile gaming.

    Other good case in the budget is
    NZXT Phantom 410
  9. Best answer
    PCPartPicker part list

    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $149.98

    The HAF XM (my current build uses it) is also a great choice and it would fit both the H100 and H110.
  10. I wouldn't put an H110...I want the corsair link... H100i looks like it's the best or maybe also Thermaltake water 2 extreme (but they have only 2 years warranty, so Corsair is kinda better). Anyway, I really like the HAF XM and Obsidian 750D (which is a bit more expensive). I Just wonder, if I remove the 2 fans on the top and put the H100i radiator with the 2 120mm fans as well as put one of the 200mm fans i got from the top, on the side of the case. Now here is the problem - i have got 1 200mm fan left which I won't be able to use...
  11. hmm...so what do you guys think? Is this a good air flow?

  12. Whiteskymage said:
    hmm...so what do you guys think? Is this a good air flow?


    Side and Front > Intake
    Back and Top> Exhaust
    Corsair themselves suggest a 240mm rad to be attached to top with a pull or push-pull config to exhaust air out of the case from the top
  13. rattlehead2112 said:
    Whiteskymage said:
    hmm...so what do you guys think? Is this a good air flow?


    Side and Front > Intake
    Back and Top> Exhaust
    Corsair themselves suggest a 240mm rad to be attached to top with a pull or push-pull config to exhaust air out of the case from the top


    What about the dust? I wanted the opposite:
    Side (200mm fan) and back (140mm fan) > Exhaust
    Top (240mm radiator H100i) and front (200mm fan) > Intake (since they have dust mesh, don't they?)

    I wonder is the mesh enough to keep that dust out...Or I better get magnetic dust filters (maybe then I can go with ur way of intake/exhaust)
  14. Whiteskymage said:

    What about the dust? I wanted the opposite:
    Side (200mm fan) and back (140mm fan) > Exhaust
    Top (240mm radiator H100i) and front (200mm fan) > Intake (since they have dust mesh, don't they?)

    I wonder is the mesh enough to keep that dust out...Or I better get magnetic dust filters (maybe then I can go with ur way of intake/exhaust)


    Positive airflow (intake>exhaust) will help keeping the dust out, you will have to clean eventually...
    Front has filter hence the intake
    I think the top just has a mesh, I'm not sure
    The side vents will provide great intake for the GPU, as the GPU pulls air into it. pushing air out of the sides when gpu is pulling air will cause conflicts
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Cases Cooling Components