DS 1813+ RAID Question

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hello everyone,

Please help me with my setup. I am new to this, but I do not quite a bit about computers and such. I do not know much about RAID setup though. I currently have a Synology DS 1813+ and am looking to purchase 8 x 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000 drives.

Once I do purchase them, I was just wondering which RAID I should go with. I have tried reading up on all different types of RAIDs, but still sort of tough to understand. I came to a conclusion that RAID 10 (1+0) is the best one to go with, but just wanted to confirm with you guys.

I am mostly going to be using NAS for my MAIN backups from a few years back, along with using it for the main download destination for all my new files, which include movies, music, apps, etc...
All 6 of my Samsung TVs stream movies off the server on the network.

Not sure how the RAID works though. Say I have 8 drives with 4TB each which equals to 32TB, if it is in RAID 10 (1+0) I am assuming that I will only have use of 16TB and the rest will be used as "mirror" which will increase the read speed, but slow down the write speed, if I understand correctly that is.

What if a drive fails in either of the RAID 1's though? Will the system tell me? how easy/hard would it be to restore the system to working order? Just purchase a new drive, swap it out with the one that crashed, and pop the drive in and it will do the rest for me?

Also, not sure what exactly a Hot Spare is and/or if it can be used with RAID 10 (1+0) or not? Because I do not mind having additional drives hooked up via USB to one of the ports in the back.

I hope someone can shine some light on this.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Hopefully your needs of fast transfer rates are not on top of your overall needs.

NAS devices are ALL using software RAID. The bigger is the volume you are going to build, the powerful it must be the NAS processor and its available RAM.

We have had the chance to measure network throughput of many NAS devices and the much economic/cheaper ones are the more scrap :), because of their cheap and slow performing processor.

I mean that their 1Gbit network card interfaces are useless as much as "attempting to erase the black stripes from the zebras", the faster write/recording speed you can measure with a chronometer and some 1GB or 4GB test files... demonstrates that write speed (but also read speed) may go not faster than 20 / 30 Mb/sec...
Well, you might want to read some more about the different raid level. A raid 10 make no sense for you. the raid0 increases read and write speed, nut that is useless in this case, because any other raid is fast enough and more secure. The raid1 (mirroring) adds the security to raid0, but you loose half of the space. Setup a raid6 with seven disks and one spare disk. The spare disk will be used automatically to rebuild the raid, if one disk fails. Don't purchase the drive, if one fails, buy it now! You need the exact same or bigger drive (number of blocks, not TB) to restore the raid and that can be a problem in two years. And yes, the system will tell you with an intense beep orgy.

Since you don’t know that much about RAID arrays then you should let Synology do all of the work for you and create a Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) array. Just connect your drives, and install DSM 4.3.
http://www.synology.com/dsm/home_easy_management_home_storage.php?lang=us

When you set up SHR you will be able to allocate one or two drives for fault tolerance.

Here’s a link to the DS1813+ Quick Installation Guide: http://ukdl.synology.com/download/ds/QIG/x13-series/DS1813+/Syno_QIG_18bay_enu.pdf

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Yes, I understand about the SHR, that is what I have it set up now with just 2 drives, but i dont know if that is the best choice for me, or if I should go with a Raid 1, Raid 6 or Raid 10 now.

So with a Raid 1,
what are the chances of me loosing all my information if a drive fails?
how many TB will I be able to utilize while still being safe with the info being backed up?

So with a Raid 6,
how many TB will I be able to utilize while still being safe with the info being backed up?

So with a Raid 10,

NASRAIDRecovery

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hopefully your needs of fast transfer rates are not on top of your overall needs.

NAS devices are ALL using software RAID. The bigger is the volume you are going to build, the powerful it must be the NAS processor and its available RAM.

We have had the chance to measure network throughput of many NAS devices and the much economic/cheaper ones are the more scrap :), because of their cheap and slow performing processor.

I mean that their 1Gbit network card interfaces are useless as much as "attempting to erase the black stripes from the zebras", the faster write/recording speed you can measure with a chronometer and some 1GB or 4GB test files... demonstrates that write speed (but also read speed) may go not faster than 20 / 30 Mb/sec

Another factor are the multiple accesses: SATA drives are scrap as well under the multiple accesses point of view, this mean that simultaneous operations (read/write) or either simultaneous accesses (that could be two users simultaneously accessing the content [read/read]), will drop the performances to the floor .

Reading this on the other side, tells you that if you think about performances, first of all you need processor power and RAM [and next (but this is another story) SAS 10K RPM or 15K RPM HHDs with a dedicated RAID controller with its own processor and cache].

When you have those two requirements:
RAID 5 will allow an average performance, but allows you to loose one drive only
RAID 6 will allow 2 despite a slight less write speed

Only complex and ultra-large array will better perform with a mixture of RAID 5 + RAID 0 also known as RAID 50 (same for RAID 60)

Beware and avoid spare drives. Keep them in your drawer. Before replacing a failed RAID's hdd in an elderly disks set, do a full backup, since during the rebuild it will die another drive for sure ;-) (and this is not matter of Murphy's law...)

Finally:
RAID 5 eats up the space of 1 disk. If RAID 5 is made of 4x HDDs 1TB each, available space is 3TB
RAID 6 eats up 2. In the above example, available space will be 2TB
Minimum RAID 5 disks set, requires 3 disks
Minimum RAID 6 disks set, requires 4 disks

About administering the NAS and any RAID device: you shall adequately program its mailing system and hopefully add a second monitoring level, snmp could be one with the aid of an snmp monitor.

Cor.

Solution

Maybe better to review your test results and thing about what is needed in a home or SMB environment. The performance is very close to what GB LAN allows and nobody needs raid50 or raid60 with fast TB disks anymore.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/32157-synology-ds1813-diskstation-reviewed?start=1