i7 3820 crashing on stock clocks.

keto82

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hi all,

I'm after some differential diagnosis with my PC.
Issue is as follows:

My processor is an i7 3820, overclocked to 4.4ghz at 1.3v; which has been a perfectly stable overclock for the past 8 months or so. Just recently my computer has been hard crashing after about 15-20 minutes of playing games (happens with all games). For the most part there is no actual BSOD, just freezes and needs to be reset.

I immediately thought that this may be a CPU issue so i restored the default bios settings, but the same crash still occurs. Following this I ran 80 cycles of intel burn test at both stock clocks and at 4.4ghz, both completed with no issues at all (core temperatures reached 65 degrees celcius @4.4ghz, which is marginally below tmaxjunction listed by intel, the cpu temperature sensor reached about 55).

Next I thought possibly GPU since it's been overclocked from 850mhz to 1175mhz for quite some time (again, no issues at all until now, I have set an aggressive fan profile which prevents the GPU temperature from exceeding 70 degrees.) I ran a few full 3dmark test at both stock and overclocked speeds, and various other GPU benchmarking tools, none of which caused the hard crash to occur.

[edit] Forgot to mention my GPU is an Asus 7850.
[edit] my PSU is a corsair HX750; all system voltages remain well within acceptable ranges during load and during idle.

My next thought is the RAM but before i run memetest overnight I was wondering if there was anything else which might be worth considering. Thanks!

keto82

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Yeah I've run a number of gpu benchmarks which bring it to 100% load at both stock and overclocked speeds. I'm using a corsair HX750 power supply, I'll add that to the first thread.

In HW monitor, the voltages are pretty much spot on during heavy load and during idle.