Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

MAJOR FPS Drops in BF3 & BF4 Beta

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 4, 2013 11:25:26 AM

Hi Everyone,
I just built my new PC and for whatever reason I am seeing significant FPS Drops while playing BF3 & BF4 Beta Online. I am running intel i5 3570k overclocked to 3.8Ghz, eVGA Geoforce GTX 660 SC 2 GB GDDR5, 8 GB Ram @ 1333Mhz, 120GB SSD (Kingston Hyper X), AOC 27" LED LCD 2ms resp. time. Please help, I cannot figure out why I am seeing such significant drops in FPS. I am use to playing at 75-80 FPS, slight drops in FPS on larger maps, maybe 55-60 FPS, now I am at 15-20 FPS out of the gate, ugh!

Thanks
October 4, 2013 11:30:04 AM

It's the beta. Everyone experiences frame drops. You are not special :) 
October 4, 2013 11:34:05 AM

legacyBIOS said:
It's the beta. Everyone experiences frame drops. You are not special :) 


So your telling me that the release of BF4 beta has affected gameplay across servers and is hindering BF3 server play? That does not make sense? I cannot play the game at all, whilest others are firing away, what si the difference? Please explain?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 4, 2013 11:38:16 AM

I have 2 PCs that are identical other than the video cards. 2500k i5's, one with a Nvidia 560SE and the other with a AMD 7870. The one with the Nvidia would crash out with a directX error after a few mins even with the new beta drivers. The one with the AMD ran smooth as silk with the new AMD beta drivers. I then did driver sweeper on the machine with the 560 and popped a 7850 AMD card in.... smooth as silk again. So something is up with BF4 and Nvidia in my opinion, which isn't surprising since Dice has been developing around AMD for BF4.
October 4, 2013 11:44:19 AM

fyend said:
I have 2 PCs that are identical other than the video cards. 2500k i5's, one with a Nvidia 560SE and the other with a AMD 7870. The one with the Nvidia would crash out with a directX error after a few mins even with the new beta drivers. The one with the AMD ran smooth as silk with the new AMD beta drivers. I then did driver sweeper on the machine with the 560 and popped a 7850 AMD card in.... smooth as silk again. So something is up with BF4 and Nvidia in my opinion, which isn't surprising since Dice has been developing around AMD for BF4.


Hi, I was running BF3 back in June/July at a steady 60-70 FPS on all Ultra settings, took a break for a little bit, didn't want to burnt out when BF4 got released, now I can't play either of them? Just to reiterate, I am not getting errors of any sort, either from DirectX11 or the Nvidia drivers, just crappy old performance. Also, this is a brand new build and I only have these games loaded and Win7, and Norton Internet Security 360 (Need it for work), nothing else. Should be running BF3 slick as shi# and BF4 Beta pretty good.

Anyone have a more in-depth idea to look in to?

Thanks

Best solution

October 4, 2013 12:38:30 PM
Share

Monitor your CPU and GPU load levels and clock rate when this issue occurs, check to see if either one is experiencing heavy load or they are getting throttled. It could very well be a setting or driver causing interference. I use to have issues with an ASUS motherboard that would kick in it's power saving feature mid gaming session and down clock the CPU resulting in poor performance. As always make sure you have the latest drivers, check temperatures etc...
October 4, 2013 12:55:21 PM

burdenbound said:
Monitor your CPU and GPU load levels and clock rate when this issue occurs, check to see if either one is experiencing heavy load or they are getting throttled. It could very well be a setting or driver causing interference. I use to have issues with an ASUS motherboard that would kick in it's power saving feature mid gaming session and down clock the CPU resulting in poor performance. As always make sure you have the latest drivers, check temperatures etc...


HI,

Thanks, I have all the latest drivers, temperatures seem fine. Question, do you think my current set up, as is, would suffice to play BF3 & BF4, i never had a problem with my older set up, same everything I have now except I was running and AMD FX8320 with AMD Motherboard. I was told and also researched that the i5 3570K was a great gaming CPU and I see you are running one as well, any thoughts on if I should go back to the FX/AMD realm?

Thanks
October 4, 2013 12:59:46 PM

rbandmtndew said:
burdenbound said:
Monitor your CPU and GPU load levels and clock rate when this issue occurs, check to see if either one is experiencing heavy load or they are getting throttled. It could very well be a setting or driver causing interference. I use to have issues with an ASUS motherboard that would kick in it's power saving feature mid gaming session and down clock the CPU resulting in poor performance. As always make sure you have the latest drivers, check temperatures etc...


HI,

Thanks, I have all the latest drivers, temperatures seem fine. Question, do you think my current set up, as is, would suffice to play BF3 & BF4, i never had a problem with my older set up, same everything I have now except I was running and AMD FX8320 with AMD Motherboard. I was told and also researched that the i5 3570K was a great gaming CPU and I see you are running one as well, any thoughts on if I should go back to the FX/AMD realm?

Thanks


I would stick with the 3570k, you made the right choice as far as choosing a CPU for gaming. Were you able to verify what your load levels and core clock are reading for both your CPU and GPU when your getting low fps? GPUz and CPUz are good tools for this sort of thing.
October 5, 2013 4:20:30 AM

shadow32 said:
Download the new driver from Nvidia. Helps a LOT on the BF4 beta:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/67378


Hi, I did try the latest whql/beta drivers and had no luck. I took the card out and put it back in and noticed that my new case has an additional bracket to hold the pci cards down, it was holding it down to much and pushing the other end of the card up ever so slightly. I took the additional bracket off and it is working better. I also installed drivers from june, 320.14, I think, they helped too. Still need to do some tweaking, but way better, thanks to you and everyone for the feedback/suggestions, I appreciate it.

Regards
October 5, 2013 7:13:31 AM

Do this:

There's a DirectX installer in your BF4 folder that origin did not install located in:
Battlefield 4 beta / Installer / Redist / DXSETUP

Install it.

Use my config file for more fps too.

Create a user.cfg config file in the Battlefield 4 folder and then paste this:

RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1RuntimeEnable 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 0
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

Source: http://www.mordorhq.com/showthread.php?11396-Stuttering...
And this:

"Start battlefield 4, when the game has started ALT-TAB out of the game and open the task manager (or simply CTRL-ALT-DEL from inside the game). Go to the "Processes" tab, right click bf4.exe, go to "Set Priority", and change it to Low. FIXED. Go back into the game and enjoy the difference it brings! This has to be done every time bf4.exe has stated up, so when you change servers as well. Remember though, if your FPS is high right now the difference it brings will be small, so this only really helps out if you have fps issues right now :) 
Hope it works out for you all."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/1nn254/bf4...

After that my fps drops were reduced a lot!
October 6, 2013 4:45:19 AM

chapapa07 said:
Do this:

There's a DirectX installer in your BF4 folder that origin did not install located in:
Battlefield 4 beta / Installer / Redist / DXSETUP

Install it.

Use my config file for more fps too.

Create a user.cfg config file in the Battlefield 4 folder and then paste this:

RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1Enable 1
RenderDevice.Dx11Dot1RuntimeEnable 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 0
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1

Source: http://www.mordorhq.com/showthread.php?11396-Stuttering...
And this:

"Start battlefield 4, when the game has started ALT-TAB out of the game and open the task manager (or simply CTRL-ALT-DEL from inside the game). Go to the "Processes" tab, right click bf4.exe, go to "Set Priority", and change it to Low. FIXED. Go back into the game and enjoy the difference it brings! This has to be done every time bf4.exe has stated up, so when you change servers as well. Remember though, if your FPS is high right now the difference it brings will be small, so this only really helps out if you have fps issues right now :) 
Hope it works out for you all."

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/1nn254/bf4...

After that my fps drops were reduced a lot!


Hi,

Thanks for the great tips, I might look into it later, however, I found out what my real issues were,

1. eVGA Geoforce GTX 660 SC was not 100% seated in it's pciexpress slot, fixed that.

2. My thermal paste on my core I5 was not spread, causing major heating issues, cleaned old thermal paste and added a corsair H55 cpu water cooler.

3. Replaced 8GB of PNY DDR3 Memory with Corsair Vengence 2x4GB Ram at 1600Mhz

I am now running BF3 at all Ultra Settings and 1920x1028P full-screen resolution and 60-80 FPS. In regards to BF4 Beta, I am running all the same above, however my FPS range from 40-58 FPS on High to Ultra settings.

I would suggest that if you are having similar issues, you should look into some of these simple steps, perhaps they will help you too!

Regards
October 6, 2013 9:03:05 AM



The beta has a CPU bug where perecentage may go up to 100%. Try my lag fix: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4gVvyEtRc

I hope it works for some of you guys, it has worked for some of my viwers, its temporary but better than nothing!
October 6, 2013 9:18:44 AM

Here is a tutorial I made from all the people asking:

October 7, 2013 2:45:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the great tips, I might look into it later, however, I found out what my real issues were,

1. eVGA Geoforce GTX 660 SC was not 100% seated in it's pci-express slot, fixed that.

2. My thermal paste on my core I5 was not spread, causing major heating issues, cleaned old thermal paste and added a corsair H55 cpu water cooler.

3. Replaced 8GB of PNY DDR3 Memory with Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB Ram at 1600Mhz

I am now running BF3 at all Ultra Settings and 1920x1028P full-screen resolution and 60-80 FPS. In regards to BF4 Beta, I am running all the same above, however my FPS range from 40-58 FPS on High to Ultra settings.

I would suggest that if you are having similar issues, you should look into some of these simple steps, perhaps they will help you too!

Regards
October 7, 2013 1:50:12 PM

I downloaded beta drivers, reinstalled the beta and my game runs a lot better.

!