Solved

New Intel Build: Need Help Choosing Parts

Hi, guys, I'm not really sure where to put this and will move it elsewhere if need be.

I come to you all today to ask about parts. I am mainly looking at CPU and my Motherboard.
I am currently running:

Phenom II 965 4x BE OC @ 4.0 GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz
Corsair 8GB DDR3 Ram
Corsair 750w PSU
Asrock 970 Extreme 3

What my problem is, is that I'm stuck on deciding between parts. I am looking for the best motherboard and best Intel CPU, since I plan on switching, and I currently have an AMD Motherboard.
I've read a lot of good things about the i5-2500k, but I dont really know much about Intel processors and wanted others' insight before I purchased anything.
Since BF4 is coming out soon Im looking to get as many frames as I can (Because Im an FPS whore) while still keeping the same Graphics card and everything else, Im lookIng at mainly my Motherboard and Processor ONLY
All together my price range is 500$ max

Please give any suggestions you you may have.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about intel build choosing parts
  1. just switch your cpu with a fx8350 and save your money since you already got a am3+ board
  2. Personally, I would go with an Intel 4670K and a Asus Maximus VI Hero. About $420 dollar combo.
  3. AtomicSheep said:
    Would you be over clocking?


    Most likely, yes.
  4. The 3770 or 3770K if you want to overclock is pretty popular, but a little expensive, at $253 for the non k version
  5. You could also drop your RAM to 4 or 6 GB if your just want to do gaming and put the money into a better CPU/Motherboard combo?
  6. If his budget is $500, downgrading ram shouldn't be necessary, plus he already has it. I would stick with 8 gb and use one of the processors above.
  7. Ah, didn't read that bit :/ yeah, the 3570k is apparently really good for gaming
  8. That is a good option for gaming, but it's a little bit of an overkill. You don't need any more than 4 cores for gaming. Look at maybe a quad or six core in the FX series and a better GPU but I'm not to sure how the radeon system works, GTX guy myself.
  9. While were still on the subject of processors, would a, FX 8350 be a reasonable upgrade from my current Phenom II 965 4x BE?
  10. Yes, it would also be kinda future proofed, so if things like games start to need more cores you've already got that covered
  11. Best answer
    IngoMeyrt said:
    Hi, guys, I'm not really sure where to put this and will move it elsewhere if need be.

    I come to you all today to ask about parts. I am mainly looking at CPU and my Motherboard.
    I am currently running:

    Phenom II 965 4x BE OC @ 4.0 GHz
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz
    Corsair 8GB DDR3 Ram
    Corsair 750w PSU
    Asrock 970 Extreme 3

    What my problem is, is that I'm stuck on deciding between parts. I am looking for the best motherboard and best Intel CPU, since I plan on switching, and I currently have an AMD Motherboard.
    I've read a lot of good things about the i5-2500k, but I dont really know much about Intel processors and wanted others' insight before I purchased anything.
    Since BF4 is coming out soon Im looking to get as many frames as I can (Because Im an FPS whore) while still keeping the same Graphics card and everything else, Im lookIng at mainly my Motherboard and Processor ONLY
    All together my price range is 500$ max

    Please give any suggestions you you may have.


    OK If you want a good motherboard don't even think about purchasing ASrock, they're terrible, bad customer service and low quality. (I'm not a troll, personal expirence and if u look on other forums ASrock is not the best)

    if you're on a budget then the phenom II is a good choice and you're gonna have to overclock it but if you want to play games at max fps then AMD is not a good choice. Get a new Haswell cpu like an i5 4670k (overclockable) i7 is not necessary because it has hyper threading and games don't really get any advantage. So i5 is the way to go.

    The money you save from an i7 you can invest in a GTX 780 and overclock that, GTX 780 is much quiter much cooler (doesn't run hot) and has much more stable overclocks.

    Motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Motherboard-Motherboards-Z87-G45-GAMING/dp/B00D12OBEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039036&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+gaming

    Or: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-2-Way-Overclock-Motherboard-GA-Z87X-OC/dp/B00CU4L6DE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039328&sr=8-1&keywords=ga-z87x-oc

    or: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Z87-PRO-1150-Motherboard/dp/B00CRJSXR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039353&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+z87+pro

    (a little expensive though)

    or: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-Z87X-UD3H-Desktop-Motherboard-Chipset-/dp/B00CU4L508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039412&sr=8-1&keywords=ga-z87x-ud4h

    Cpu: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-4670K-Quad-Core-Desktop-Processor/dp/B00CO8TBOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039082&sr=8-1&keywords=4760k

    if the cpu is too expensive get the non "k" version: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-4570-Quad-Core-Processor-BX80646I54570/dp/B00CO8TA4I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039130&sr=8-3&keywords=i5

    If you're planning to overclock here's a good heatsink for the cpu:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039176&sr=8-1&keywords=212+evo

    If you're not overclocking the stock heatsink is perfect, water coolers are not that good, the hyper 212 evo cools just as good as any water cooling system
    but if you insist get a Corsair h100i:
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Extreme-Performance-Liquid/dp/B009ZN2NH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039276&sr=8-1&keywords=h100i

    link to the GTX 780: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-3GB-Graphics-GV-N780OC-3GD-REV2-0/dp/B00E9M4QUA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039443&sr=8-5&keywords=gtx+780
  12. Dude, the Hyper 212 Evo is OK, but you won't be able to overclock very far with it. The H100i is a great cooler, especially when overclocking. The 212 evo doesn't really compare.
  13. The guy only asked for a processor and motherboard anyway. All those motherboards are fine by the way, but i stand by the Asus P8Z77-V LX for the 1155 socket for a 3570k
  14. Dan_Fielding said:
    Dude, the Hyper 212 Evo is OK, but you won't be able to overclock very far with it. The H100i is a great cooler, especially when overclocking. The 212 evo doesn't really compare.


    I know the hyper 212 evo doesn't reach far but an i5 4760k is already 3.4 gh/z so that's good enough, a hyper 212 evo will take you up to 4.0 no problems and yes the Asus one is slightly better but more pricey so yeah...
  15. Like I stated above, I'd simply switch to a fx8350, it saves you tons of money, a reasonable upgrade for you phenom band not far behind the i5 in gaming performance, that difference will finish even more when games start to use 8 cores ( for example crysis 3 does it and its faster on the fx than on a i5)
  16. I think go with the FX8350 because you won't need a new motherboard and it should run BF4 with your GPU smoothly and at decent FPS
  17. Dan_Fielding said:
    I think go with the FX8350 because you won't need a new motherboard and it should run BF4 with your GPU smoothly and at decent FPS


    good point, I just prefer Intel when gaming and it suits me...
  18. I also prefer Intel but it just makes more sense to go with the AMD option in this case.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Motherboards CPUs