Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My computer build, one check from the community before I set it in stone.

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 5, 2013 1:55:24 PM
October 5, 2013 2:20:03 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeBz
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeBz/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeBz/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1205.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-05 17:19 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 2:22:53 PM

smorizio said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeBz
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeBz/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeBz/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1205.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-05 17:19 EDT-0400)


Well, this is an AMD build...
m
0
l
Related resources
October 5, 2013 2:23:23 PM

you want use ram that uses low heat sinks so that it fits under most heat sinks. the ssd is a better part. if ssd does not update there firmware as a lot of thrid party oem units do there can be small bugs or bricking issues. if this going to be a gaming rig intel cpu are better gaming cpu. if your pc going to be a gaming rig spend the extra money for a cosair or seasonic unit. no name brand power supplys can kill gaming rigs.
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 2:29:05 PM

smorizio said:
you want use ram that uses low heat sinks so that it fits under most heat sinks. the ssd is a better part. if ssd does not update there firmware as a lot of thrid party oem units do there can be small bugs or bricking issues. if this going to be a gaming rig intel cpu are better gaming cpu. if your pc going to be a gaming rig spend the extra money for a cosair or seasonic unit. no name brand power supplys can kill gaming rigs.


Can you please explain how an Intel i5 would be better than my graphics card? Cause the math says:
AMD card 4.0*8= 32
Intel 3.4*4= 13.6

And isn't EVGA a brand name PSU?
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 2:29:08 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeOc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeOc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LeOc/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($124.97 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1120.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-05 17:28 EDT-0400)
m
0
l

Best solution

October 5, 2013 2:39:29 PM

Sinnyinexile,

It's a good selection of components and will make a good rig, I prefer Intel myself, but nothing wrong with your picks
Share
October 5, 2013 2:40:39 PM

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/NEX750G/2.html
read the review the power suppl;y has a split rail most good units now are one rail units.
EVGA trusted FSP with their smaller SuperNova units, and they, to be more specific, utilized their Aurum platform. Definitely not the platform we would use for a PSU that belongs to a high-end series and one that has to compete with pretty advanced opponents, since the Aurum platform, although it combines low production cost with high efficiency, exhibits low performance in situations where the load on the rails is highly unbalanced (e.g. in our crossload tests).
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 5:48:50 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Sinnyinexile,

It's a good selection of components and will make a good rig, I prefer Intel myself, but nothing wrong with your picks


Maybe you can answer my question, the math says AMD is better than Intel, is there something that Intel has that AMD doesn't?
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 5:56:50 PM

Intel has the stronger CPUs, MC (memory controller) is much, much stronger and AMD can't come close in single core performance, the AMD, say 8350, shines at video rendering vs an i5, that's about it, most all gaming is done with 1-4 cores so the i5s just outrun the AMD CPUs clock for clock. The differential may even grow as games become CPU and DRAM centric...
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 5:59:28 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Intel has the stronger CPUs, MC (memory controller) is much, much stronger and AMD can't come close in single core performance, the AMD, say 8350, shines at video rendering vs an i5, that's about it, most all gaming is done with 1-4 cores so the i5s just outrun the AMD CPUs clock for clock. The differential may even grow as games become CPU and DRAM centric...


But the i5 that other guy reccomended had 3.4ghz and the one I am looking at has 4.0ghz. Is that 4.0 overall or per core?
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 6:11:33 PM

That's simply what it's clocked at out of the box 4 GHz (and the 8350 has already been pre-OCed), the 8350 in general can OC to about 4.7-4.8 (yes I know some go higher but in general, that's a good OC for a 8350), the two most prevalent i5s, the 4670K and the 3570K both are great OCers, they easily run at 4 GHz with basically no changes other than the multiplier, and side by side with the 8350 far outperform it, taking either head to head against the 8350 just increases Intel's advantage (again as said, in everything but rendering), that's where the 8350 had a slight advantage, though against the i7s, simply no comparioson, which is why folks that make a living at rendering all go with the i7
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 6:32:12 PM

Tradesman1 said:
That's simply what it's clocked at out of the box 4 GHz (and the 8350 has already been pre-OCed), the 8350 in general can OC to about 4.7-4.8 (yes I know some go higher but in general, that's a good OC for a 8350), the two most prevalent i5s, the 4670K and the 3570K both are great OCers, they easily run at 4 GHz with basically no changes other than the multiplier, and side by side with the 8350 far outperform it, taking either head to head against the 8350 just increases Intel's advantage (again as said, in everything but rendering), that's where the 8350 had a slight advantage, though against the i7s, simply no comparioson, which is why folks that make a living at rendering all go with the i7


That answers all my questions but one! The other guy said that my PSU was not good enough for my rig, so I choose another, is this sufficient? http://www.microcenter.com/product/399158/CX_Series_CX7...
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 6:38:49 PM

Either would be fine, I'd lean to the Corsair but either will be OK
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 6:43:50 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Either would be fine, I'd lean to the Corsair but either will be OK


You have been a big help! Thanks for everything!
m
0
l
October 5, 2013 6:50:43 PM

No problem, drop us an update when you are up and running ;) 
m
0
l
!