Did 7950 Crossfire Setup Fry My Onboard Realtek Audio ???

esox

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Decided to setup 2 HD7950's on my Asus P8z77v- Pro i7-3770k setup to improve FPS in gaming. Especially for games with ultra video settings. Started up my rig in X-fire mode and nothing connected to the realtek audio works.

I can only get audio via HDMI.

I specifically got a high end AVR with 7.1 analog so I could have full control over audio. Now, nothing plugged in is detected and the optical plug no longer lights up.

So are these symptoms of a fried audio board.?

with amd and nvidia there installing there own hdmi audio drivers. for some reason these drivers are taking over the onboard and add in sound cards.
look under windows audio control panel make sure amd hdmi is not selected as the main audio output make sure green checkmark is on speakers. also make sure the 2.71 realtek drivers are installed.

The quickest way to check would be to remove the second card and see if the audio is restored.

Make sure that your motherboard has the latest firmware installed (BIOS/UEFI update). Firmware updates are often issued specifically to fix issues like this.

Also, make sure that your GPUs are in the first and second PCIe slots, not the second and third or first and third. The third (black) slot is tied to the PCH and may share bandwidth with the audio chip and other peripherals, potentially choking them out or even clobbering their interrupts.

EDIT: do what smorizio said above first. Make sure that the HDMI audio codecs didn't take over the onboard audio as the default audio device. This may happen if a display capable of audio is plugged in.

esox

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

It's toast I think. Removed both video cards and plugged into onboard video. Made Realtek speakers default, plugged in 7.1 surround plugs. None were detected. Made Realtek optical out default and plugged optical cable, nothing, not even that red fiber optic light.

Also Updated BIOS as suggested, but problem persists.

Just to check if my AVR was the problem, tested both analog and optical on an older i7-920 system. Both audio feeds worked fine.

It's only 3 weeks old and it was nothing but problems. AI Suite kept generating errors like

"WARNING - M/B TEMP BELOW -168 DEG C"

that's like temperature of liquid nitrogen.

That's odd. Asus motherboards are rarely faulty. Contact them to setup an RMA

esox

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Performed fresh install of Windows 7 with no video cards inserted. Loaded Realtek drivers. Same result, no audio. Not ever the optical was generating that red light.

esox

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Ended up getting this http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-External-Channel-Audio-Adapter/product-reviews/B004HXGJ3S/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1.

Really surprised how good it sounded compared to onboard Realtek and VIA. Sort of tells how bad they.